PDA

View Full Version : Fouling plugs while starting

opwierde
20-03-2005, 10:24 PM
The sun's shining, it's 10 degrees C and I hit the starter button. My monster bursts to life with a growl and I give the throttle a twist. Brrrrrppp... it dies and refuses to restart @#$%.
Out with the plugs, they're as black as sin and dripping wet with petrol. I grab an old toothbrush and clean them as best I can. In they go again and I give it another try.... only this time I let the monster "idle" unevenly for half a minute before grabbing the throttle. That works and off I go!

This has happened at least twice a week since I've had the monster. Is it me or is there some kind of carb problem? Is the main jet worn out by the needle? Or do Ducs just hate the cold?

It's a '96 M600, I don't use the choke when I flood it.

DesmoDog
21-03-2005, 09:36 AM
Its the bike and the cold, although someones bound tointerject here. If you have a quick search about fouled plugs you'll find a wealth of information from solutions to causes. Quite a few people carry a spare set and replace them when it happens. You can also look at hotter plugs (NGKs?). Have a search. HTH

A Yerbury
21-03-2005, 10:42 AM
they run rich and the mikunis did suffer from needle wear as you mentioned, I believe crust posted something the other week regarding this. with an early 6 it is worth tweaking the carbs with a jet kit, open air box and a dyno run to get it sorted. beware tho the carbs are a pig to get to.
AY.

opwierde
21-03-2005, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll start by putting a pair of spare plugs under my seat. Later this year I'll do a jet kit/carb overhaul and install noisy pod filters. The weather is a bit to good to start unscrewing everything!

Mrs Soup
22-03-2005, 12:45 PM
I have this all the time - check out numerous other posts/threads I have replied to.

I've found mine starts best without throttle, use the choke if its cold. if it won't go, shut the choke and open the throttle wide. Should get better now as the weather warms up.

Happy Monstering. :burnout:

scrumpster
22-03-2005, 07:06 PM
I have had intermittent fouling plugs over the winter, and my bike is away at the moment, but I know the guy sorting it is replacing the plugs Ducati recommend with ones of a different size, that will not foul up and withstand hotter temperatures. This won't help until i find out what type of plugs they are, but worth considering.

Byron Kauffman
22-03-2005, 08:42 PM
How good is your battery? I noticed when my battery started to get low the bike started rich. It wasnt enough spark to burn clean and wet the plugs. I switched to a new gel cell battery with more cranking amps and it is MUCH better. I only use about half choke and no throttle at all on my bike even on the coldest mornings.

DesmoDog
23-03-2005, 06:01 PM
I can't even get her started at the moment. New battery, on an optimate, and has ben started once or twice over the winter. Took about ten minutes last time to get her to kick over. Now you can hear the battery getting lower as I try to start it up, bugger!

creepy
24-03-2005, 05:54 PM
i've had problems with plug fouling over winter,my bike starts on full choke no throttle as soon as you touch the button, even in the snow,but i've found the best thing is too move off straight-away overwise the front pot starts to foul its plug,which can take a couple of miles too clear!
creepy