PDA

View Full Version : fuel pipeing

stuartg
19-03-2005, 06:11 PM
Can anyone help me please. I am in the final stages of completing a re-build on a '98 600 carbed Monster. However I am now having trouble starting it. Fuel is coming out of the tank but is not getting to the carbs. Could some kind soul look at their 600 Monster and try to explain the pipeing. There is a 3 way (vaccuum) valve under the seat, another under the battery box with 2 connections on (1 on top, 1 on bottom), 2 pipes to the inlet manifolds and 1 pipe to the carbs.

Thanks
Stuart

Pedro
19-03-2005, 06:30 PM
You'll probably have to bleed the fuel through - I think Nik-The-Breif had to do the same. I think he sucked the fuel through.....

errr, not smoking might be a good idea if you do....

A Yerbury
19-03-2005, 07:02 PM
You'll probably have to bleed the fuel through - I think Nik-The-Breif had to do the same. I think he sucked the fuel through.....

errr, not smoking might be a good idea if you do....

yeasss, I never quite got that Nik trick? as one needs to suck the fuel through the pump and getting to the carb end is tricky, I have had to do this twice now....remove lid, remove filter spray directly wd40 into onto the carbs/carb sliders...if at first then you have'nt used enough, wd is not as flammable as petrol so you need a lot, after 15 minutes of small genteel squirts I got frustrated and sprayed for about 30 seconds and then hit the starter on the 28th of those 30, fired up and sucked the petrol through. You could use fuel directly into the carbs but my pyromaniac days are over and prefer my flammables less flammable/explosive.

stuartg
19-03-2005, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the advice gents, guess I'l give it a go tomorrow. I was convinced I'd piped it correctly, but was at a loss as to why the fuel wasn't getting through.
Thanks again

A Yerbury
20-03-2005, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the advice gents, guess I'l give it a go tomorrow. I was convinced I'd piped it correctly, but was at a loss as to why the fuel wasn't getting through.
Thanks again

it's an air trap in the fuel pump, sucked through after being run dry, sorry I did'nt that explain yesterday. Of course it could be something completely different!?

stuartg
20-03-2005, 11:47 AM
I'm on my way to the garage now to start sucking on my Monster fuel pipe's kinky eh?
Wish me luck, I'm going in !!!!!

stuartg
20-03-2005, 12:39 PM
Typical eh? Sucked fuel through, squirted WD into carbs, back-fired, now battery flat.................... doh!!!

slob
20-03-2005, 03:11 PM
[QUOTE=A Yerbury]wd is not as flammable as petrol so you need a lotQUOTE]

Try a can of Bradex EasyStart then.

stuartg
20-03-2005, 04:09 PM
Done it. Got her running ok.
Thanks for the advice everyone