PDA

View Full Version : bar weights?

stef
16-03-2005, 09:06 PM
has any of you fitted bar weights on the monster?
i have those slinky rizoma mirrors, which suffer pretty badly from vibrations. they are already pretty useless, but a shaking reflector doesnt help. they dont have the same 'damped' mounting the standard mirrors have.
so i was wondering in some of you would have experienced the vibration reducing effects of bar weights. anyone ? if so, what's the stock bar inner diameter ? is it standard?

Pedro
16-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Stef

talk to Oberon Engineering in Havant, near Portsmouth. They make some top stuff and do bar end weights for Monsters and can advise what size.

You can call them on 02392 481188

Ped

Albie
16-03-2005, 10:44 PM
Have standard ones on both bikes. Had them off 900 for a while but no big problems. :D

bod
16-03-2005, 11:29 PM
If you need to look in your mirrors you are going to slow :D

NattyBoy
17-03-2005, 08:04 AM
Got some of these ducati performance ones..there listed for a 748/9** but may fit depending on the diamater of your bar ends..? £42 from a dealer..

£19 to you lot :D
http://ducatisportingclub.com/xmb/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=17189&pid=153996
Cheers
Nat

stef
17-03-2005, 08:51 AM
cheers for that !
i'll have to check the diameters, but tell me, are they really of any use ? i would have thought that light, aluminium or carbon fibre bar weights would be a bit silly for what i need them for.. sorts of defeats the point !

as for my mirror, i am still only marginally slower than the speed of light...

The Kevlar Kid
17-03-2005, 09:58 AM
You could always get some Rizoma bar ends to match the mirrors......

Speak to Stuart at spareshack....

A Yerbury
17-03-2005, 12:03 PM
is the glass shaking in its cup thing or is the whole mirror assembly and bar vibrating? it shouldnt. I have some bar end ones on clip ons..no shakes, the vibed a bit within the mount but some black silicone arond the edge has damped it.

stef
17-03-2005, 12:09 PM
the whole assembly (bar, arm and optic) shakes. the standard monster mirrors have some sort of 'rubber' damping pipe to connect the metal rod to the screw bit. (under the plastic boot) that really damps the vibes. but the rizoma's are clamped on solid.

A Yerbury
17-03-2005, 12:13 PM
hmm, that sounds like s hit? expensive too. I am surprised that it shaking that much though? I have put an all chrome thing into the mirror thread with no damping and that was fine?

Pedro
17-03-2005, 12:17 PM
Stef

to see if it makes any different get some lead and stuff it in the ends of the bars - you may have to play around with the weight but you should then have a good idea of how heavy the bar ends need to be to damp the vibes.

Ped

stef
17-03-2005, 03:06 PM
good idea ped..
Al, it's not that it's shaking that much, but the little shaking there is and the crap optic (tiny, and must also be magnifying ??) means that they are absolutely useless.
reducing the shaking will not make then perfect, but mght improve things a bit.
i'll try putting some weight at the end of the bars, see if makes any diff.

A Yerbury
17-03-2005, 03:55 PM
well next time buy something that works as opposed to something that may impress the other boys in the playground...although when it comes to posing one can't beat clip ons.

stef
17-03-2005, 04:09 PM
well next time buy something that works as opposed to something that may impress the other boys in the playground...although when it comes to posing one can't beat clip ons.

... and the girls.. please.... sexist.
come on.. if i wanted something that worked, i'd be riding a Honda. (throw the first stone.)
it's just a question of potential improvements on the compromise.
The mickey mouse mirrors had to go.

and i am with you on the clip ons, i am just waiting for the bargain to come up, and i'll get them.. no bar end mirrors though, they dont do it for me right now...not a twitch.

A Yerbury
17-03-2005, 04:59 PM
ahh but have you seen how I have mine set up? not in the sticky out stylee..

stef
17-03-2005, 05:25 PM
yes, i think i have spotted it... i find it better than the usual stick out jobby, but still... i'd have to have another look when the clipons will be on the bike. you never know, the Rizoma's might be sorted by then, and i might even be able to see something else than my knee caps, with the different bar angle.. but you have only one, dont you ? chopper styling ?

A Yerbury
18-03-2005, 11:47 AM
here you go, very easy to adjust as one is on the go, not sure how or if it would interferre on the rhs, but over here in the land of st jacques and dead baby cows it's fine

DesmoDog
18-03-2005, 01:33 PM
Stef, if you're rattling that much maybe you should check your bearings. Speaking of bearings did I tell you my location? Athens is great this time of year and mental motos are soooo in.

stef
18-03-2005, 03:10 PM
i thought about that, but it's not ratling more than when i had the basic mirrors on (they were fine, no vibes).. any quick way to tell if the bearings are gone ?
(PeteS4 had a go on the bike in october, he didnt seem to think they were bad..)

anyway, for all the bad things i have to say about the zoma's, i wouldnt change them. i'll just try and improve the visibility i get out of them.