PDA

View Full Version : Budget - Stamp Duty

Mr Cake
16-03-2005, 01:07 PM
I'm in the process of buying a house and I have a solicitor's quote with stamp duty included, but I haven't signed anything yet. Will I still have to pay it?

Dave

PaulS
16-03-2005, 01:27 PM
I would expect you to have to pay whatever amount of stamp duty was applicable at the time the purchase is completed. I understand the Chancellor has (today) raised the threshold at which you become liable to pay stamp duty to £120K.

Melnie Mouse
16-03-2005, 01:39 PM
no, this happened to me when I bought a flat once for 30,000 they moved the stamp duty threshold to 60, day before completion! so i got away with it.. how close was that?

well done :)

PaulS
16-03-2005, 02:26 PM
no, this happened to me when I bought a flat once for 30,000 they moved the stamp duty threshold to 60, day before completion! so i got away with it.. how close was that?

well done :)

Not sure whether you're agreeing or disagreeing with what I said ???

A Yerbury
16-03-2005, 02:39 PM
speak to the solicitor? I avoid even thinking about mortgages but even a fiscal philistine such as myself has heard about the stamp threshold.

Melnie Mouse
16-03-2005, 03:35 PM
Not sure whether you're agreeing or disagreeing with what I said ???

Sorry, I didn't read yours until I wrote mine, It was in answer to first one, the original post.... from cat and fiddler...

Fodder
16-03-2005, 04:03 PM
Extorsion from the government of the highest degree, with the price of property these days people really do need to cough up a few extra percent when spending their life savings on a deposit.

You won't pay it until the purchase of a property is completed though ;)

P.S. Is everyone still obsessed with house values?

Melnie Mouse
16-03-2005, 04:21 PM
You won't pay it until the purchase of a property is completed though ;)

P.S. Is everyone still obsessed with house values?[/QUOTE]

yes, exactly! and yeah Hi fodder, nice to see you again :) I think we are all obsessed with house prices, it seems to control a lot of things.. guess you haven't got that much of a worry anymore huh? :D

Mr Cake
16-03-2005, 05:52 PM
So it looks like I've got away with it then :D

Dave