PDA

View Full Version : Hire monster in South Africa

skunk43
16-03-2005, 08:15 AM
I`ll be in South Africa next week and the only bike I can find to hire is BM WobbleU.
Does anybody know where i can hire a DUCATI from over there?????????
It just wont be the same without the Monster, wish i could put her in my luggage.

Rogerg
16-03-2005, 08:36 AM
I looked into it a few years back - again could only find beemers.

it was also fecking expensive, so didn't bother in the end.

Pedro
16-03-2005, 12:08 PM
Just been out there on business (weather was lovely!) and had a quick look through some of the hotel touristy things but couldn't find anything.

BMWs are pretty common though..

A Yerbury
16-03-2005, 12:36 PM
don't fret about the transport situation just enjoy the place! I lived their for a few years. which areas are you visiting? (the free state is the wrong answer, if that is indeed what it is still called)

skunk43
16-03-2005, 12:52 PM
Going to Joburg and Durbs, I also lived there but that was a couple of years ago and owned my own bikes ,so never had to hire.
Free States still there but Transvaal is now GAUTENG or `Gangsters Paradise` as it`s known by the locals.

A Yerbury
16-03-2005, 01:11 PM
whats the sterling rand situation these days? I was in joburg in the pw era 1984-88

clockworkorange
16-03-2005, 04:56 PM
No one hires out Ducati's in SA I'm afraid, your choices are BMW and maybe VFR. Exchange rate about 11:1, so cheap holiday for the most part. However, with insurance and all, bike hire is not particularly cheap.

Pedro
16-03-2005, 05:05 PM
The beer's cheap though....:D

I actually got to go down a gold mine whie there (business stuff) which was pretty cool. Went to Mponeng (formerly Western Deep Levels) at Charltonville and went 8900 feet underground :eek: Bloody quick lift, the cage did about 40mph in either direction. Very warm and a pretty unpleasent place to work but...

Flipping amazing!

Downtown Jo'burg is interesting though.....

Ped

Oh, and the South Africans are probably the most hospitable people I've had the pleasure of dealing with.

A Yerbury
16-03-2005, 05:54 PM
[QUOTE=Pedro]The beer's cheap though....:D

I actually got to go down a gold mine whie there (business stuff) which was pretty cool. QUOTE]

tish and pish pedals, we went down a mine for a school day trip! and then we watched some welly boot dancing. The weed is cheap, the booze is cheap and you can buy guns. it's a fabulous place.

slob
16-03-2005, 06:37 PM
Next door to Ducati Capetown (Buitengragt Street) is Capetown Harley, who will rent you a bike if it's any consolation
http://www.harley-davidson-capetown.com/rent.asp,
I'm out there in May, can't wait!

skunk43
16-03-2005, 06:57 PM
Yep ! cheap almost everything with the exchange rate... I wonder if you can still buy stuuff at the traffic lights ( fruit,drinks,crisps, hats,umbrellas you could do your weekly shop without getting out of your car !!!!! problem was you need lots of change)
Australia was the best DRVE THROUGH BOOZE SHOPS much like KFC. :twisted:

Richard_S
16-03-2005, 07:02 PM
at the risk of being controversial when in africa there is only ONE way to travel.

clockworkorange
16-03-2005, 07:11 PM
Yup, still all manner of things to be had at the traffic lights. Or "robots" as they're called there

A Yerbury
16-03-2005, 07:21 PM
at the risk of being controversial when in africa there is only ONE way to travel.

HMM I think that is an indian elephant! (smaller and tiny ears) but yeah, who cares what the bike is, its Africa not Soho, Rome or Paris...(sunday whoopee!)

skunk43
16-03-2005, 07:27 PM
A hundred £ per day for a sportster. The elephants starting to look a better proposition....... possibly faster ?

Richard_S
16-03-2005, 07:41 PM
i know the family well and they are most certainly of african decent.

earism is no small fee(a)t. go stand in the corner and think about what you have done.

disclaimer : the corner has good ventilation and some natural sun light. regular meals are provided and life is generally pretty sweet providing you make a good first impression with rowland the pinny'd up mascot.

Duncan
16-03-2005, 08:34 PM
Going to Joburg and Durbs, I also lived there but that was a couple of years ago and owned my own bikes ,so never had to hire.
Free States still there but Transvaal is now GAUTENG or `Gangsters Paradise` as it`s known by the locals.

You should try and get over to Hartbeespoort Dam in the North west province above Gauteng on the Sunday morning. Its biking heaven riding across and there is a great bike meet takes place with hundreds of bikes on show, including a few Ducati's. They tend to get over early to make the most of the cool start and clear roads.

And take a rucksack cos you're sure to spend a fortune in the market there.

Pedro
16-03-2005, 09:53 PM
[QUOTE=Pedro]The beer's cheap though....:D

I actually got to go down a gold mine whie there (business stuff) which was pretty cool. QUOTE]

tish and pish pedals, we went down a mine for a school day trip! and then we watched some welly boot dancing. The weed is cheap, the booze is cheap and you can buy guns. it's a fabulous place.

Ahhh, but I bet you didn't go that deep. For the metric bods, 8900 feet is about 2.8 kilometres. Mponeng and it's neighbour, Tau Tona, are the worlds deepest mines at 4.5 kilometres to their deepest working areas according to the guys showing us around.

Yield is not great though, only 3-4 grams of gold per 1000kg of rock..... seems like hard work to me....

Ped

A Yerbury
17-03-2005, 12:56 PM
1k... 4k what difference? the roof goes youre dead, its damp, its humid, its dark, its the same!

Pedro
17-03-2005, 03:45 PM
1k... 4k what difference? the roof goes youre dead, its damp, its humid, its dark, its the same!

You're not wrong.....

A week after my visit, a neighbouring mine had a quake registering 5.3, leaving 2 dead........

Ped

A Yerbury
17-03-2005, 03:56 PM
I am never wrong. I did hear that on the news..a certain amount of claustrophobia is healthy I say.

manc skank
17-03-2005, 04:57 PM
just got back from 3 weeks in Joeys and Cape Town... nice and hot, but not too hot :D freaked me out the amount of peeps i saw in shorts, vests and sandals riding big fast bikes. too hot for leathers and too easy to be turned into hamburger :O

Richard_S
17-03-2005, 06:23 PM
bring back the days of leather speedo's and the !*!*!*!*ney spirit of midas superiority. gratification amongst the leopards, sandals for the white devils and a cheeky pitcher of the local tipple. gold n' quakes are an odd couple but when in rome you should always avoid the sunglass neck cord frenzy. I once met an Ostrich there (africa not rome that is) and once over the initial mistrust and perplexity we became good solid friends. beautiful.

Richard_S
17-03-2005, 06:29 PM
i cannot believe that c o c k n e y 's are censored. Jeez they aren't that bad.

slob
17-03-2005, 06:42 PM
...in shorts, vests and sandals riding big fast bikes. too hot for leathers and too easy to be turned into hamburger :O
especialy when you see the way 'taxis' drive out there, plus if drinking and driving were an olympic sport, the bokkies would be world champions.