PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak,clutch slave ??

ps4
15-03-2005, 06:08 PM
Hi all,
After owning my S4 for just over a week I notice that there was a small leak underneath the bike tonight.It appears to be coming from the clutch slave area.Would I be right in presuming that it is the clutch slave and just change it,or is there any other known possibilities.
I don't want to go over old ground again and have read previous posts.
I think I shall do it myself so any help would be appreciated.
Many Thanks
Paul

Nigel C
15-03-2005, 06:42 PM
check the level of the clutch master cylinder fluid you should be able to see a drop in the level if the slave cylinder seal has gone.
top it up if needed and mark the level with a felt tip pen use the bike for a few days and check it again

crust
15-03-2005, 06:50 PM
Give Stuart at spareshack a bell.

He sell a replacement piston with a better seal arrangement or a complete slave cylinder which gives a lighter clutch action.

You could check on his website - see links up in the top right of this page.

:) Crust

Scotty
15-03-2005, 07:10 PM
thers not a pool of oil on top of the engine is there ? ,(like from a leaking base gasket) oil used to drip off mine and reapear round the clutch slave cylinder

Pedro
15-03-2005, 09:24 PM
If it's the clutch slave, replace it with a later design from a 748/998 as it's a much better design - you'll also need a longer pushrod too.

Can't recall which cylinder design is fitted to the S4 so worth checking before spending yer moolah

Ped

ps4
16-03-2005, 04:49 PM
I have started the bike this evening and have been working the clutch lever and after a short while I could see the leak from the clutch slave.I was also suprised by how far the leak would travel,so I sprayed some WD40 under the clutch slave and it took excatly the same route.
Got a new trick one ordered from Spareshack and it is going on at the weekend.

Thanks for all the help

Paul