PDA

View Full Version : Pod filters over airbox?

DesmoDog
14-03-2005, 12:51 PM
So I was reading "creating a monster of my own"

http://www.duc.org/creating_a_monster_of_your_own.htm

and I got to thinking about replacing my airbox altogether with some of these jolly nice looking pod filters

http://www.unifilter.com/clamp-on.htm

Anyone got any suggestions or experience?

A Yerbury
14-03-2005, 01:06 PM
apparently they run very badly. look good, not expensive just a bit rubbish. and very exposed... quite a bit about this recently from me, pedals and flip....the duactis like a big airbox ya see. (you dont see it but you knowwadimean)

DesmoDog
14-03-2005, 01:13 PM
But what about with a rejet? I know there was a big discussion about removing the horns and drilling holes, open top boxes and Heath Robinson affairs involving French Duct Tape and old foil dispensers, but did we go down the filters route? I fail to recall and am too damned lazy to trawl that thread. Oh, on that subject you should contact Plum. He's having box woes. Sammye needs your legal aadvice too.

gary tompkins
14-03-2005, 01:19 PM
Not tried it but hear the mid-range goes to pot and makes it a total mare to get the jetting right. The other downside (as Yerbs points out) is it leaves the filters hanging out in the breeze, and very exposed to the elements and crap that gets thrown up from the front tyre.

K&N (or similar) in the standard airbox is the usual way to go, with maybe an opened up lid for better flow with the motor jetted or chipped to suit.

A Yerbury
14-03-2005, 01:25 PM
whoa there neddy, why don't I trawl through it all for ya! Ducatisuite put them on but I have heard talk that they are restrictive. I have a kn flat filter, kandn jet upgrades in the carbs and a drilled airbox. With the lid and the two standard holes (no trumpets) the bike was consistent but a bit weedy, with the drilled lid/no lid there is more bite, more noise and just a teeny weeny little bikini flat spot that I am probably only aware of due to enhanced jedi stuff. Whatever you do, you do it all do it, and then get the man at the dyno centre to make it all nice.
Alex.
I have had a word with Sam, he should be ok now...but as for plum I can't keep up! I suspect that this time tomorrow he'll be wanting a turbo, some wings and Keihin carbs........

DesmoDog
14-03-2005, 01:36 PM
Yerbs, I too have the K&N, but without the airbox mods - I suppose that is next step but I was thinking well if its rejet etc why not give the poddies a try - not hugely expensive. GT, I was under the impression that the pods were a filter themselves and fitted right over the carb mouths (? right terminology there?). Hence a rejet would get rid of those pesky mid range woes.

yerbs, next stop the UN

A Yerbury
14-03-2005, 01:47 PM
well give em a go, (the pods) get the rolling road, and the rejet and keep us posted? if it works I'll take a pair too....but back to the here and now,early m600 s ran rich, opening up the box should not need a rejet. take the whole lid off, put the flat kandn in the grooves then tie it down with a piece of string then go for a spin?! simple! if it seems better then lop the top of the lid off and reattach the clips. you wont hurt the bike by doing a bit of up and down the road with the lid orf.
A "watch yer back koffi" Y

gary tompkins
14-03-2005, 05:52 PM
Yerbs, I too have the K&N, but without the airbox mods - I suppose that is next step but I was thinking well if its rejet etc why not give the poddies a try - not hugely expensive. GT, I was under the impression that the pods were a filter themselves and fitted right over the carb mouths (? right terminology there?). Hence a rejet would get rid of those pesky mid range woes.

yerbs, next stop the UN

Like Yerbs said give it a try and see how it runs , I'm assuming by pod filters your referring to something like Ramair's? My own 600 went bigger on main jets with a K&N in the standard air box. The dynojet kit comes with slide springs, needle jets, washers & o-rings, and 2 sizes of main jet 124/128. However Dynojet must use a different numbering system for thier jets, as the standard Mikuni size quoted by Ducati is 132.5 :confused:

Have fun and try to avoid any deep puddles ;)

Flip
14-03-2005, 08:41 PM
..you're right, K&N do indeed use a different numbering system to 'normal' carb jets.

One other thing to remember with going down the 'pod' route is that you will also have to fabricate a bracket to re-home the battery and coils etc as all of this is a moulded part of the original air box.

Have fun with that hacksaw/dremmel!!

stuartg
20-03-2005, 12:53 PM
I have installed k+n pods to my 600 and have had a battery box made up at a local fabricators (like the one in "creating a monster of my own"). I am inticipating taking to PDQ for dyna test and rejet. Will update when, if I can get it running this afternoon. Looks pretty though.

DesmoDog
20-03-2005, 12:58 PM
Bloody hell, I thought the battery case mod was just a guy getting creative with the bike. Sounds like a lot of work. Stuart, keep us up to date on the changes.

stuartg
20-03-2005, 01:47 PM
As it says in "creating a Monster" you can of course just hack saw the battery box from the air box. However I figure that if the mod doesn't work I may need to revert to the original box so didn't want to destroy it. It is a bit of a pain to get all the bits fitted to the box, cutting holes for battery straps, fitting starter solenoid to base. I had the additional hassle of bolting Dyna coils to mine which are much larger than stock, therefore couldnt use the carrier. I'll post a pic of the set up and let you know which filters I used (if I can find details). It will be worth it if it runs ok, looks better and easier to work on.

Oh the other thing I changed was to put a seperate crank brather on as the stock breather box is fed via the air filter too.

Mmm!! your right on 2nd thoughts sounds like a lot of work, never mind, done now

stuartg
20-03-2005, 05:50 PM
Just been out for 1st run since re-assembly and the pod filters seem ok throughout the range. However needs a longer run to be sure. Might try Easter Sunday run to Box Hill. Not sure if dyna testing etc will make much difference for the cost so will reserve judgement. Sounds lovely when throttle opened + you can hear the carbs sucking in the air, looks better + easier to work on. General concensus, worth doing

stuartg
23-03-2005, 06:24 PM
Just a quick update following 1st reasonable run out since fitting pod filters.
Ran ok and performance generally seemed slightly better through acceleration at all ranges. I might still get it dyna tested and re jetted as its a little lumpy at idle and on initial take off. Sounds great when the throttle is opened up though,not so sure about fuel economy though.

DesmoDog
23-03-2005, 06:35 PM
Good stuff! Now if I could only get my lump started....

stuartg
23-03-2005, 07:08 PM
Whats the problem?

DesmoDog
23-03-2005, 08:43 PM
Hard to say. It turns over, but won't start. Not even a cough. I'm going to replace the plugs tomorrow although I'm pretty sure that's not it. Got the battery on the optimate all the time so it's not a dead battery. The bike lost all power just after I got it. Turned out that the last owner had removed the fuel filter and the pump diapragm had blocked over time. The mechanic cleaned it out and fitted a new filter, and put in a battery for good measure - problem solved, couple of hundred miles later the problems back with the bike dieing on me and me pushing it back home. Got it started again after a hell of a run on the starter motor but it burped and farted like a baddun before stalling. Now I can't even get it to run. I'm wondering could it be the pump again? I can here it turn over, so maybe its blocked.

gary tompkins
23-03-2005, 09:01 PM
DD,

Have you had the carbs apart to clean them out as well? If enough crap got into the pump to stop it working while the tank filter was AWOL, then it's a fair bet the carbs are full of muck as well.

A Yerbury
24-03-2005, 08:48 AM
hey Dare Devil, As Gran Tourismo has just pointed out it is worth having a go at the carbs, mine needed to be taken apart and cleaned last year with these very symptoms. And do this before you paint the motor otherwise all the flotasam, jetsum, detritus, field mice et al will dribble down onto your take hart moment. Trust me I know about this...
Alice.

DesmoDog
24-03-2005, 09:24 AM
oh bloody hell!

A Yerbury
24-03-2005, 11:10 AM
mine looked worse than this...
http://horrible.demon.co.uk/600ss/050311_dd_02.jpg

DesmoDog
24-03-2005, 12:23 PM
Sweet Jesus! That looks like the stuff in my arteries, probably.

A Yerbury
24-03-2005, 01:04 PM
Sweet Jesus! That looks like the stuff in my arteries, probably.

I should'nt worry then, as long as this residue is just in your pulmonary system and not the carbs you won't need to remove the air box.

gary tompkins
24-03-2005, 08:30 PM
mine looked worse than this...
http://horrible.demon.co.uk/600ss/050311_dd_02.jpg

Jeez Yerbs - I've seen some filthy floatbowls, but that takes some beating :eek: Looks like a seagull's crapped in it :D