PDA

View Full Version : Forks

Pedro
14-03-2005, 07:37 AM
Right then....

I have an early Monnie with the unadjustable forks and think they probably need some attention. When breaking hard I can just about bottom them out - the cable tie round the fork leg stops about 1/4 short of the bottom of the stanchion.

So:-

1. Do I swap them for adjustable versions - if so, what are my options without changing wheel spindle (narrow version), calipers etc.

2. Rebuild them and mess about with the oil weight - any suggestions would be welcome as to what weight oil and how much to suit a 14 stone rider (yes me, for those about to take the p*ss).

3. Rebuild them with an up grade kit - can't remember who does em, so a bit of help here please!!

Ta

Ped

A Yerbury
14-03-2005, 08:36 AM
1. any upside down monster or SS.
2. this sounds like something I dont know about.
3. racetech? someone will be along soon to advise or mcn.
Alex "pity his fork legs" yerbs.
ps. bagsie any ebay bargains first please! try the german "gabel" or french "fourche"

gary tompkins
14-03-2005, 09:02 AM
Pedro,

Like most upgrades it depends on your budget. Several have gone the uprated springs & valving route with fantastic results using Racetech kits, others have tried different springs and a change of oil weight and were just as happy.

The Ractech kits for early USD are adjustable (damping wise) but you have to strip the legs to get to the valves. If you want better (external) adjustability then a set of used legs from a later bike would do, but you may still need to invest in a rebuild/upgrade to get them spot on.

http://www.pdq1.co.uk/racetech.htm

I did it the hard way and swapped to 916 legs. Lots better (IMO) than the original non adjustable showas (Dark spec), but still need fettling as the 916 is a fair bit heavier than the 900. The 1.0 kg/mm spring rate is a bit too heavy, and the preload adjusters are still almost topped out. Will go for a lighter set of springs and maybe racetech valves when funds allow.

If your forks have done a lot of miles then perhaps just a re-build with new springs etc will sort them out?