PDA

View Full Version : Stretched wires - common problem?

S4Mal
10-03-2005, 09:57 PM
Looking at some of the previous posts I see that a few owners have had electrical problems with wires stretching at the headstock. I have a minor problem when the handlebars are on full (left) lock there is no power to the starter motor. When the bars a moved even a few mm it's OK. Other than that its been 12,000m of trouble free perfection

Scotty
10-03-2005, 10:18 PM
errm yeah but no but yeah but no
kinda suspect that its just the unlucky few but its a git of a problem because its so un-obvious thats what the problem is (gawd i have good english)

im sure there will be further degeneration and you al have a real starter button problem sooner than you want

sorry

gary tompkins
11-03-2005, 07:46 AM
Several members (myself included) have suffered broken wires in the loom in this area. I agree with Scotty that the problem on yours is sure to set worse in time, and leave you resorting to bump starting. If you can set the bike on full lock and trace the break a repair should be pretty straight forward. My own break was in the feed off the main loom back to the starter solenoid from the button, but others have had breaks elsewhere. I spliced a couple of new lengths of wire in and re-insulated it all, and seems fine now. The cables had been badly routed and cable tied around the headlight support, so the loom got stretched too much.

S4Mal
11-03-2005, 02:39 PM
Probably best to have a look at it in the garage rather than wait until its raining on the M4. :mad:

Garry Hogan
11-03-2005, 04:57 PM
I had the same problem! I thought that if I didn't look at it - it'd go away and never come back - but no! The only time I was late for work and thought I'd rely on the bike - you guessed it - it didn't bloody start :mad: I, like some others, had to run a coupla' wires to the starter switch/kill switch coz the original (crappy) wires had split in the loom :eek: Now it's back to full health and everything is good again :D I have to say thanks to all the members for posting on my original thread in the electrics section - AND to the service manager at Daytona for his help too - cheers :burnout:

Raving Loony
14-03-2005, 01:11 PM
I had this problem last week. Tried starting the bike and nothing. When I pressed the starter button all I could hear was a strange fizzing sound coming from the wire casing...errr.... :eek:

In the end I had to cut it open and 3 or the 4 wires were corroded and split. Being the bodger I am I cut them and joined it all back together with a block connector and patched it up with electrical tape...(like I said, bodge), but it worked.

Now I have to decide if I can run 3 new wires and resleeve everything. A pain for what it is.

So like Garry said DON'T LEAVE IT

i hate electrics.....