Shauns4
10-03-2005, 08:30 PM
Fitted Bt014s to my S4, big improvement

PaulS
10-03-2005, 08:31 PM
What were you using previously?

Shauns4
10-03-2005, 08:35 PM
michelins, pilot on the front and macadam on the rear (too hard)

PaulS
10-03-2005, 08:40 PM
I've never seen anybody say anything good about Michelins on this forum so I'm not surprised you've found the Bridgestones a big improvement. I've had Pirelli Dragon Evos on mine since new and not had any complaints until the rear squares off. Not sure whether to go for Diablos next time or Bridgestones (BT010 front BT020 rear seems a popular choice).

Shauns4
11-03-2005, 06:49 AM
I used to use a BT10 and BT20 on my previous bikes, works well, the 14's are somewhere in between (I think) so should be a good compromise, i guess at the end of the day it depends what you use the bike for anyway the bike is now far more stable especially in a straight line.

gary tompkins
11-03-2005, 07:20 AM
I've never seen anybody say anything good about Michelins on this forum so I'm not surprised you've found the Bridgestones a big improvement.

I think there's quite a lot of peeps running Michelins in the club with no complaints. I'm on my second set (Pilot S compound) and considering sticking with Michelin for my new set - maybe the newer Michelin Power range.

I've used Pirelli, Avon and Dunlop in the past - but experimenting is an expensive game (at nearly £200 a pop) if you get of tyres you hate, so I tend to stick with one brand that I'm confident with these days.

Tyres are pretty subjective anyway. One mans meat is another mans poison as they say, and the way a bike handles has got just as much to do with riding style and suspension setup than what rubber it's wearing IMO.

I was actually told by a tyre fitter that he didn't think Bridgstone suited Ducatis due to thier heavier construction, but plenty of club members use them - go figure :rolleyes:

CK & AK
11-03-2005, 07:45 AM
totally agree GT with the 'One mans meat is another mans poison' bit, as having had a good summer on the Michelins (never liked them before!) on the 1000, when they were due for change I went on others advice for the 010/020 combi.
Hate the flipping things :( slipping about all over the place, take a while to warm up - much more than the michelins.
Will be changing over easter, as soon as payday permits - anyone want a set of part used 010/020's?

The only downside I had with the michelins, was if it was damp - and then they didnt keep so good a contact. Fine in V V wet (Arrow Mill 2004 :rolleyes: ) & great in dry.

Previously had Dunlops on the M750ie - great little tyres, and we run 014's on the NC30 trackbike.

C

Didge
11-03-2005, 07:58 AM
That's strange CK, because I find the Bridgestones bloody brilliant, and have never had a bad moment (touch wood).
I tried the 010/020 combination, and found it even better, but as I brake on the front always, the bike ate the 010 in a very short time, so have gone back to 020 front and back.
I usually go through 2 rear tyres for 1 front tyre, but the 010 went before the rear one.
I'm getting 5,000-6,000 miles out of the rear 020 I think, and having no grip proplems. Mind you, if the roads are damp, I tend to ride like an old woman going around corners. I think it's got something to do with riding in the days when most tyres had about as much grip as a bar of soap, and had a profile that was more square than my house walls.
Coming off on wet corners used to be almost par for the course years ago, but it hurts like buggery, so I really don't want to do that anymore.

CK & AK
11-03-2005, 08:13 AM
see Didgy? - meat & poison :lol:

Al says its cos you carry more ballast! :p :twisted:

PaulS
11-03-2005, 08:46 AM
I think there's quite a lot of peeps running Michelins in the club with no complaints. I'm on my second set (Pilot S compound) and considering sticking with Michelin for my new set - maybe the newer Michelin Power range.

You may well be right, but when the subject of Michelins has come up before, I can only recall negative comments being made. I certainly don't recall anybody recommending them. Perhaps the people who like them should speak up for them more often when the subject comes up, they may even be the silent majority!. I certainly agree about tyres being a very subjective issue.

A Yerbury
11-03-2005, 08:50 AM
You may well be right, but when the subject of Michelins has come up before, I can only recall negative comments being made. I certainly don't recall anybody recommending them. Perhaps the people who like them should speak up for them more often when the subject comes up, they may even be the silent majority!. I certainly agree about tyres being a very subjective issue though

Sure you're not thinking of dunlops? Now they are crap. I should know, a pair of them try to kill me on a daily basis.

Dark-Jon
11-03-2005, 08:51 AM
Al says its cos you carry more ballast! :p :twisted:

More hot air for lift you mean :burnout:

Also wearing BT020 but without added ballast (well, maybe a little ;) )

DJ :burnout:

PaulS
11-03-2005, 09:03 AM
Sure you're not thinking of dunlops? Now they are crap. I should know, a pair of them try to kill me on a daily basis.

No I'm not. But the comments I've seen on various Dunlops have been very polarised. This one could run and run. I hope it doesn't end up in a virtual punch up!

A Yerbury
11-03-2005, 09:09 AM
run and run? that's very true, after about 4.5k the rear looks exactly the same! So in a virtual punch up the dunlops have the stamina but the batlax are more nimble? The last couple of mecahnics when quizzed on forks simply pointed at the tyres and said "bt 10 or bt 14, with a 20 at the back"........in a brummie accent.

CK & AK
11-03-2005, 09:34 AM
Dunlop 205's were great little tyres (for me) on the 750 :)

Al rates the battlex on the 80's lawson, has pirelli's on the turbo, and 020's on the tri-colour.

Each bike handles so differently when the tyres have been changed to another type.

Didge - you remember the old days then, no lean at all on most tyre walls :eek:

horses for courses................. :confused:

best to find somehting YOU are happy with & stick to it.

C, wishing she had done just that with the present tyres :(

gary tompkins
11-03-2005, 04:59 PM
Could be a good post for a poll? - shame I don't have a clue how to bung one up :o

Garry Hogan
13-03-2005, 08:22 AM
I've never seen anybody say anything good about Michelins on this forum so I'm not surprised you've found the Bridgestones a big improvement. I've had Pirelli Dragon Evos on mine since new and not had any complaints until the rear squares off. Not sure whether to go for Diablos next time or Bridgestones (BT010 front BT020 rear seems a popular choice).
I've just changed to an 010 on the front and a 020 on the rear - and they are a HUGE improvement over the Avons I had before. The Avons were poooo :eek: in the wet but the Bridgestones inspire much more confidence :D

Shauns4
22-07-2005, 07:45 PM
I still rate these as a top tyre but there is a but, after 2500 miles they still are very good but, here comes the but, the rear probably won't last more than about 3000 miles, I'd prefer about 5000! may try a BT020 on the rear.

MilesB
08-08-2005, 04:07 PM
Good to get some feedback on this... looking for some tyres with all weather ability and a decent lifespan, so looks like I'm after some Bridgestone BT020's.

Miles

slob
08-08-2005, 06:53 PM
I've got a 014 front and a 010 rear which seems good to me, once I'd dropped the pressures a bit (29/32). The rear is going to get changed for a 014 in a couple of thou.
since the 014s seem to be gradually replacing the 010s (and are just a touch softer.)
I think you definitely want an 020 rear, if you want mileage Miles!

Fosse Foxfight
08-08-2005, 10:42 PM
I've got a 014 front and a 010 rear which seems good to me, once I'd dropped the pressures a bit (29/32). The rear is going to get changed for a 014 in a couple of thou.
since the 014s seem to be gradually replacing the 010s (and are just a touch softer.)
I think you definitely want an 020 rear, if you want mileage Miles!
Its quite easy really. 010s are supersport tyres, decent compromise of grip and mileage.........014s are hypersports...and suitable for trackdays, 020s are sports/touring......014s on any Monster apart from S4R are a waste of money and probably not achieving optimum conditions.
I remember when tyres didnt need air....
ta ra

slob
09-08-2005, 04:47 AM
hmmm... 11 days to next trackday, I think I'll keep 'wasting money'.

Shauns4
10-08-2005, 08:49 PM
[QUOTE=Fosse Foxfight]Its quite easy really. 010s are supersport tyres, decent compromise of grip and mileage.........014s are hypersports...and suitable for trackdays, 020s are sports/touring......014s on any Monster apart from S4R are a waste of money and probably not achieving optimum conditions.

yes i remebered the Bridgestone diagram showing the BT010, 12 and 14 all in the same 'wear' bubble. Its the 012SS which is the real soft track tyre.

The 014 is not a 'waste of money' on a Monster as it depends what you want from the tyre, the harder Michelin was a waste of money on mine as i threw it away before it was half worn.