PDA

View Full Version : Favourite childhood games

SAMMYE
10-03-2005, 05:18 PM
Sorry guys my mind is on overdrive with drivel today but.......

When I was younger I made up a number of games which were great fun to play. Wondered what sort of mischief you lot used to get up to when you were younger or what games you created.

1. Darkness Hide and Seek (warning!! very scary)

This was a variation of hide and seek which me and my brother used to play. You wait until nightfall and one of you goes and stands outside the house while the other one hides. After a set time the seeker searches through the house for him ( the house has to be in total darkness with curtains drawn) then when the seeker is close the hider jumps out screeching scaring the living daylights out of the seeker.
You may think this is not all that scary but try it with your partner / kids and you will see what an adrenaline packed game this is, rivalling any horror movie!!! :twisted:

NattyBoy
10-03-2005, 05:20 PM
Kiss chase...

Collie_dog
10-03-2005, 05:56 PM
We used to play hitting each other with steel rulers!!

The rules where pretty simple;
1. Sit with your hand on the desk
2. Your mate hits you with the flat of the ruler
3. If you can handle that then it upgrades to the end of the ruler
4. Then the edge of the ruler
5. If you not on the floor crying, your hands bleeding or you've been told off by the teacher..........YOU ARE THE WINNER!!!

I come from a small backwater school, and there really wasn't anything much to do, apart from inflict pain on each other, or go cow pushing!! Ahh childhood memories!! :D

A Yerbury
10-03-2005, 06:02 PM
cow pushing? duvet sniffing? prepreg carbon fibre? what a queer bunch you all are! where's Richard_S when we need a moment of clarity?

Didge
10-03-2005, 06:52 PM
cow pushing? duvet sniffing? prepreg carbon fibre? what a queer bunch you all are! where's Richard_S when we need a moment of clarity?

You've got to be careful who you're calling queer,
Coz you'll find more than a few of them on here,
If they get to you at night,
You'll be clutching the pillow tight,
Would you like to know who they are Alex dear?

Strangly enough, I loved Hop-Scotch as a nipper. Best thing was though, when a bit older, we used to build hill carts from old bits of wood, and any types of wheels we could get hold of.

Richard_S
10-03-2005, 07:22 PM
a ha.
a mention at last and here was me feeling all left out :o

had a strange old day so far, some good points to note include;

1) six viewings on the manor booked in for this week
2) the mention of the phrase F.B to me by my new and very cute assistant.
3) my talons of doom are reforming nicely and the scary yet profound look of a very special man is once again gracing the world.
4) I had an extra king size twix this afternoon.
5) In the absence of slimy tarmac and artic temperatures I have been regaining my prowess with Charlotte. Sparks nearly flew from my little toe earlier and I can once again enjoy the 8k rpm growl of third gear without soiling myself.

The world and everything in it, oh and a nice cup of tea please vicar.

however I then had a call this evening to say that a man I know is dying. Not a personal relationship (an ex-boss and mentor) but a thoroughly decent kind of chap. Mad me quite sad tbh.

to ensure we stay vaguely on track I offer you the following titbit as to the pastimes enjoyed as a 40-something, cynical, rouge womaniser. I was a charming adolescent on the whole and although the edge I lived upon was thoroughly suburban I did enjoy the free living afforded by youth. My best friend at the time and my good self had a bit of an on-going thing with two lovely girls who sat in front of us during our English lessons. One was called Kimberley and one Katherine. Proper names, proper girls and yes I did have a proper education at a proper establishment. My parents were fairly liberal or perhaps just oblivious to my naughty nature and as a result I was keen to make full and proper use of the loft conversion bedroom that I had secured. The decision was made and implemented when I bought my first ever album (use your illusion 2), adorned my tina turner badass red wig and strummed and sang at the top of my lungs. I was 14 at time folks so no snide comments and yes I do still have the memorabilia tucked up on shelf 14. Anyway back to the time of my story about 18 months later. I regularly held little parties in the loft – some cheap and poisonous beverages, a small and rather sorry looking piece of hash, some loud music and the select few. Never more than 6 and never an uneven balance. You see where this is going and in the interests of upsetting myself massively at the beauty of a situation so pure and perfect I will digress. The story does get sad a little later but with the wish to end on a high note I will simply say that Katherine was the special one. She emigrated to OZ 5/6 years back and I did have a kinda moment. Not quantifiable but certainly rectangular in shape.

Yours with truth, honour and a slight dash of violet vigour

Richard

As a footnote I heard something today that really did tickle and then dig out a touch of that pubescent conquering charisma. It was a good moment and I believe that we should all have a bi-annual reminder that some things are indeed simply fun. Keep that thought close by and life can be winked at for a little moment. Buttercups are a good example but TBH its been a long time since I went sniffing for them and as of now I have added one further source of mental pleasure.

“The stoical scheme of supplying our wants by lopping off our desires, is like cutting off our feet when we want shoes.” . J swift

x

CraigMac
10-03-2005, 07:37 PM
I managed to do the business with bird in my mum and dads loft too.....dont get to cut up about it.
Regards
Craig

Richard_S
10-03-2005, 07:46 PM
April showers bring forth May flowers. One day little man, but until then look after the space man spirit.

CraigMac
10-03-2005, 07:52 PM
A bird in the bush is worth two in the hand.....and yes, i'll sort that spaceman out along with Elvis and that mackerel of his.
Regards
Craig

A Yerbury
10-03-2005, 08:04 PM
Breast feeding and nappies were quite a lark. Being small was good too......happy days.