PDA

View Full Version : Tube Life (Part 2) 1977- 1990

Didge
06-03-2005, 03:04 PM
More spoddy train stuff...................
In ’77, I transferred to the District line, out of choice, as I was getting sick of the tunnel work on the Northern line.
The District line is devided into two parts. The Edgware Road – Wimbledon service and the ‘Main’ as we called it, which was the Upminster/Wimbledon/Ealing Broadway/Richmond services.
My new depot was Parson’s Green, which some of you may remember from one of my previous posts ’TALES FROM THE TUBE’, was full of ‘nice boys’, effete gentlemen, handbag Nigels, limp-wristed mincing queens, and the odd outrageous lavatory cowboy, gay-lording it all day long. Great stuff….or should that be puff?
Anyway, the trains on the District Line, were old 1930’s rolling stock called CP, CO and R respectively.
CP stood for converted ‘P’ Stock, CO for converted ‘O’ stock and ‘R’ was for the fact, that most of them were Rebuilt Q stock.
CO/CP stock were painted red, and the ‘R’ stock were unpainted aluminium for the new ‘R’ cars, and painted in aluminium paint on the rebuilt Q {which were steel) cars to match.
CO’s & CP’s were usually coupled together to form a 7 car CO/CP train, but there were some pure CO’s that were only 6 cars long. The six car CO’s were usually used on the Edgware Road – Wimbledon route, as Bayswater and Notting Hill Gate stations had short platforms. Sometimes though, a 6 car CO would be used on the District line main to Upminster etc. To have a 6 car CO in the rush hour, on the ‘main’ section of the line, was great fun, because the passengers spread themselves along the length of the (7 car) platform. Then along you come on a CO, and stop on the 6 car stopping mark. The look on their faces was a picture, and you could lip read some of the comments. One has to be a little evil on my job sometimes, or you’d go bloody mad.
The other difference, was that on CO’s, the guard was in the rear driving cab, as that was were the door operating equipment was. On CP’s the guard was in the normal ‘guard’s gangway’ position in the last car with the passengers. Needless to say, most guards preferred the CO trains for that reason.
The ‘R’ stock were crap basically, as although they had a traction motor on every car, they were under-powered and over weight. If you got one up to 35mph, you were lucky.

Didge
06-03-2005, 03:07 PM
One Person Operation (OPO) was now raising its (some would say ‘ugly) head, and the District line was to start receiving new rolling stock.
By the end of the 1970’s, the Edgware Road – Wimbledon service, was operated by ‘C69/77’ stock. These were the big brothers of the Northern Line’s ’72 stock, (See previous thread 1972-1977),and they were just as crap.
For instance, if it rained after a long dry spell, when you accelerated away from a station, the wheels on the old stock would quite often spin, and if you put the brake on too hard, the wheels would lock up and slide. This caused flat spots on the wheel, or ‘flats’ as we called them, which made a bang-bang-bang-bang noise as the wheels turned, and didn’t do the track any favours.
To combat wheel-spin, the C 69/77 stock were fitted with a ‘Wheel-Spin Relay’. This was supposed to stop the wheel-spin on wet track, by temporarily cutting out any motor that started to spin. This did not work so well in practice. What would happen was, one set of wheels would start to spin, the relay kicked in and cut that motor out with a loud pop!. By doing so, there was now fewer motors to try and accelerate the train, and they in turn would spin and then cut out, and it would take about 5 seconds for them to reset. Once they reset, you’d go through the whole process again and again. So when it was wet, it was quite usual to see and hear a C 69/77 pulling slowly out of a station going POP!…..POP!….POP!…POP! as all the motors were cutting out. It was bloody purgatory try to get them to move in the wet, especially in the rush hour when they were packed with punters.

Didge
06-03-2005, 03:11 PM
For the ‘Main’ section of the District Line, we got brand new ‘D’ (for District) stock. They started to be delivered in 1979.
These were really nice to drive and operate. They had a joystick combined traction control /brake handle on the right hand side. Push forward to go, pull back to brake with a ‘off’ position in the middle for coasting.
The suspension was lovely, giving a nice ride, the cab heaters were great, and the acceleration and braking was really smooth. They were also the first proper OPO train, so when the guards went and we were working OPO there was very little modifying to do to them.
It was either 1984 or ’85 that the District line went OPO, I can’t remember now, but it literally happened over-night. On the Sunday we were crew operated, and the next day (Monday), we were OPO.
It totally changed our job, and many drivers hated it.
In 1990, I transferred again, this time to be a driver on the Engineer’s trains.

To be Continued………….