PDA

View Full Version : Electrics advice needed please...?

NBs
05-03-2005, 08:24 PM
If it involves a spanner and a tub of grease then I'm usually ok, but anything vaguely resembling electronics and I'm bollox'd!

Today I swapped the instrument console on my '02 m620... the new ones plug in and light up fine, the needles do the spinny round thing and the mileage reading shows.

BUT... hit the start button and nothing. Any ideas what I have to do? Has it got something to do with the immobiliser?? Does the good lord not want me to ride a monnie???

thoughts appreciated.
thanks
n

gary tompkins
05-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Hmmm,

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but....

I think the instruments on later bikes like the 620ie, which have the factory fitted immobiliser thingy are coded/linked to the ECU, and need to be fitted as a matched set to work ok. JMo had real aggro with her bike after it was frigged about with at a dealers after her prang - maybe JMo (or others) can confirm?

CK & AK
05-03-2005, 09:50 PM
Nick, when I had my clock assembly changed on the 750ie (2002) under warranty, I had to take my red key with me, for it to be re-programmed.

C

NBs
05-03-2005, 11:00 PM
Ahhh... the RED key!
Is there some relevance here to them code numbers on the card too?
Or might I just have to turn the red key and all will be hunkie dorey?

I'd try it but the bike is 30 miles away so I'm trying to gather useful info before I next go visit her.

Thanks for info gary/ck, love u lots ;)

n

gary tompkins
05-03-2005, 11:04 PM
Thanks for info gary/ck, love u lots ;)

n

Awwww shucks I'm blushing now :o

JMo
06-03-2005, 12:32 AM
JMo had real aggro with her bike after it was frigged about with at a dealers after her prang - maybe JMo (or others) can confirm?

I can confirm - it was a right royal PITA... but only because the dealer at the time didn't realise what to do, ahem.

As I understand it, when you fit a new ECU, you need the red key to programme it/the immobiliser section, and I think this does go via the clocks, as when they first fitted the new set, they didn't so the sweepy round thing when you switch on - mind you, the bike did run... just like a pile of s h i t e... humph.

I now have two sets of clocks (£300 each) and two ECUs (£700 each) and all work in each combination, but only to my one set of keys - so the £700 spare ECU sitting in my garage is a waste of space... humph. Just glad I didn't have to pay for their mistake...

xxx

The Kevlar Kid
06-03-2005, 11:11 AM
Errr, your all worrying me now....

Perhaps someone can confirm my suspicions and put my mind at rest. :o

I have a 2002 registered bike, as far as I know it does not have an immobiliser - I certainly have no red key. :confused:

Presumably the keys for bikes with the immobiliser are transponder type keys (with a chip in them - so the ignition recognises the key). That being the case, as I have had spare keys cut that work fine, mine definately does not have the immobiliser. :)

Does that make it a 2001 model reg'd in 2002?

If so I guess I'll need a new chip if I want to open the air filter up (I already have open cans) as the reprogrammable ones were only fitted from '02 model year weren't they?

Sorry for deviating from NB's subject, but whilst you were talking about red keys.....