PDA

View Full Version : harry bloody potter

A Yerbury
04-03-2005, 07:16 PM
Next time you see someone (above the age of 12) reading a harry potter book...beat them around the chops. Then beat them again. Then give them one of Phillip Pullmans books instead. I finished the 2nd one last night, it is a work of splendour. If you have kids they will love it.
Alex.
Levi, Roth and Hardy are also on the go...I don't just read kiddie books!

claicerrig
04-03-2005, 07:21 PM
Alex

You are so right :) The Dark Materials Trilogy in case some one is wandering
@least i hope that the 1 you are reffering too Alex :o

I just hope they dont spoil it when they make the film :rolleyes:
Trouble is rummors atre that they have :eek:

MilesB
04-03-2005, 08:20 PM
The best of the Harry Potter books was No.3, after which they definitely started to get a bit long winded.

However, Philip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' trilogy is awesome... this stuff is for kids? It was never that good when I was growing up :( , and as a serious reader and 'bookaholic' :cool: I know of which I speak.

It all comes of reading Tolkien aged 10 :rolleyes: - pretentious git...

spacemonkey
04-03-2005, 08:59 PM
Harry who? I was into James Herbert, Asimov, Art C Clarke, and Von Daniken (yes I know...) as a kid.

Bloody kids today etc etc...

Banshee
04-03-2005, 09:44 PM
ive just read his and hers... it was !*!*!*!*!!!!!

celt
04-03-2005, 10:29 PM
as long as the kids are still reading im not bothered. potter is harmless fun.
im a fan of books, i dont care how highbrow or stupid they are.
its when they dont read books full stop that you should worry :(

claicerrig
04-03-2005, 10:37 PM
Your dead right there Celt :)

My little 1 has just sarted to read Terry Prachett :lol: :lol: and shes 9

Thats my girl :cool:

celt
04-03-2005, 10:56 PM
yeah i read a hell of alot when i was young but the teens came along and if it wasnt for 2000ad comic i would have stopped reading altogether for a while.

only about 2 or 3 year lay off then i hit the books again. clive barker's Abarat series is good

walkingpictures
04-03-2005, 11:58 PM
Your dead right there Celt :)

My little 1 has just sarted to read Terry Prachett :lol: :lol: and shes 9

Thats my girl :cool:

Way to go Dave....can certainly recommend all the Pratchet books,have read every one of them,your daughter has got good taste in books :)

Kimbo :)

CraigMac
05-03-2005, 09:39 AM
Thank you Alex.
Ive just ordered the trilogy for my eldest son (nearly15)
If he turns into a raving nutter, I will simply blame you!
Regards
Craig.

A Yerbury
05-03-2005, 09:46 AM
If he turns into a raving nutter I'd sooner blame it on a lack of parental skills, poor role models, shoddy diet and even worse genetic material.....But if you want to use me as a "whipping boy" feel free, it wouldnt be the first time.
Alex.
ps sunny but warning of squally showers.

Melnie Mouse
05-03-2005, 12:01 PM
But I liked Harry Potter at my age, I was told to read it, and i turned my nose up, saying that's kids stuff, but I thought it was brilliant and the films aren't bad too (last one not as good though)...

Everybody should read its good for you :)

gary tompkins
05-03-2005, 07:09 PM
Way to go Dave....can certainly recommend all the Pratchet books,have read every one of them,your daughter has got good taste in books :)

Kimbo :)

Another avid TP fan over here :D Used to read a lot of Sci-fi in my teens too.

Most memorable early read - Stig of the Dump (age 9)

JR
05-03-2005, 08:00 PM
When I wer a lad we lived a life of adventure through the actics of "Bigles" by Capt W E Johns.

Happy days in yer head!

JR

Mand
05-03-2005, 08:03 PM
and I was a big fan of Enid Blyton - happy days....

Lashing of ginger beer etc. etc.

JR
05-03-2005, 08:50 PM
And of course we lived out the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (AKA Samuel Lanhorne Clemens) in the local woods building dens, hides and rafts - fun in the 1950s.

Wasnt keen on ginger beer Mand, more a Dandelion and Burdock kinda guy myself!

JR
A member of the dont give a Sh*t Club as well!

CK & AK
05-03-2005, 08:57 PM
Swallows & Amazons for us lot, playing down by the canal most w/ends & summer evenings :D

Mand -ginger beer for us too!

C

pooh
05-03-2005, 09:47 PM
Never a big reader as a kid but got into dirty books when I was 16 mainly by Haynes and Autodata and that was the start of the downward spiral.

Ian

spacemonkey
05-03-2005, 09:57 PM
Of course fate took a turn when our junior school book club furnished me with the Hardy Boy's Survival book. I just had to knock up a survival kit and rough it in the New Forest for a week. 14 odd years later I'm still doing it though the locations and kit have improved dramaticly! And the last thing my gran bought me before she died was the SAS Survival Handbook, which every bloke seems to have, and which can recall from memory whenever the need arises.

Spacemonkey aka Nature Boy...

queen_gpants
06-03-2005, 09:12 AM
I grew up reading anything by Roald Dahl, the Narnia books, the Borrowers but my favourite childrens stories are the Little Grey Rabbit stories with Squirrel, Hare, Wise Owl and the weasels :)

I tried reading the first Harry Potter book and fell asleep after 10 pages, I quite like the films though