PDA

View Full Version : Tube Life 1972-1977

Didge
04-03-2005, 12:23 AM
A bit of a spoddy train-spotters post this, I’m afraid, as it’s about trains that I’ve driven on the London Underground. Some of you may be interested, and it makes a bit of a change.

My first five years were spent on the Northern Line, from ’72 to ’77. Based at Morden in Surrey.
1972 – The year I joined, the Northern Line’s trains were 1938 tube stock. The archtypical ‘Tube Train’. Painted red, they were heavy, rode well, and were fast. They were lovely to drive, but their problem was their age. In 1972, they were 34 years old, and LU decided that they had to go.
So, in 1973, we started taking delivery of brand new 1972 tube stock. These were lighter than the ‘38’s and were totally crap. They rode roughly, had rubbish brakes and were hated by most drivers. The old drivers in particular, found them hard work, as instead of a separate brake handle on the left, and control handle on the right, these were fitted with a combined control/brake handle, and it was on the left. The fact that most people are right-handed, didn’t seem to cross the mind of the designers.
Within a few years, the Piccadilly line was receiving new trains, and we were getting their old 1959 tube stock, to gradually replace the old ‘38’s.
So for some years, the Northern Line had THREE different types of train. A nightmare for maintenance staff.
The 1959’s looked like the old 38 stock, but were made from (unpainted) aluminium instead of steel. They were thus lighter, but not as fast as the 38’s, but the ride wasn’t too bad, and the brakes worked well.
As a footnote, some of the old 1938 stock trains were sold to the Isle of Wight Railway, and they are still running over there, even though they are 67 years old.

To be continued….if yer interested?????

Didge
04-03-2005, 12:24 AM

Julie
04-03-2005, 05:40 AM
Didge

great stuff very interesting.

I have ridden on the old ones in the IOW. They are still going strong.

Is there a tour of the tubes that are no longer in use? and are there some still left from the war? I'd be really interested to go on that ....do you know anything about it?

Julie

Duncan
04-03-2005, 06:16 AM
Thats a great post Didge and if it wernt for anoraks like you bits of our industrial heritage would be lost forever.

Its unusual for out of towners like me to even see a tube train on the surface, only neeing to use the underground bits for most journeys.

Julie, I am sure Didge could arrange a private tour of your tubes anytime, hes an accomodating guy like that you know!

Didge
04-03-2005, 09:10 AM
Didge

great stuff very interesting.

I have ridden on the old ones in the IOW. They are still going strong.

Is there a tour of the tubes that are no longer in use? and are there some still left from the war? I'd be really interested to go on that ....do you know anything about it?

Julie

Julie, as far as I'm aware, there are no old Tube trains running as such, but the London Transport museum in Covent Garden in London, has a wonderful display of most of the old rolling stock on display, as well as buses, trams, trolly buses and other old London Transport stuff. See attached photos of old 'F' and 'Q' stock cars from the 1920's/early 1930's.
Because of space, they cannot display all the old stuff, and a lot of it resides in storage at Acton Works in West London. Most of it fully restored I believe.
Acton Works was the place where 'heavy maintenance’ was done on all LU rolling stock at one time, but now it’s mostly done ‘in-house’. Each line doing it’s own maintenance, and Acton works is now a ghost of it’s former self.
It was once home to real craftsmen. Carpenter’s, metal workers, painter’s and sign writers etc. To watch some bloke with a paint brush, painting the logos, car numbers and pin stripes free-hand, was really something. Sadly, most of these old skilled workers have long retired.
Modern logos, are computer cut stickers, but LU still use skills such as the above when it comes to restoration of the old stock.
If ever you are coming to London, we can arrange to go to the LT museum, and I’ll be only too pleased to show you around. I cannot promise anything, but I might even be able to arrange a private viewing of the old stuff stored at Acton Works, I’d have to try and find out about that.

Didge
04-03-2005, 09:16 AM
Its unusual for out of towners like me to even see a tube train on the surface, only neeing to use the underground bits for most journeys.

Dunc, that's why I posted it. I was thinking that, seeing as many of our members hardly ever, or never come to London, some may be interested in this stuff.
I admit though, that most Londoners themselves, probably have very little interest, as many just use it as a means to get about, and think nothing of it's heritage.

dean
04-03-2005, 09:48 AM
having lived in london for 17 years up until 2001, the tube was my lifeline (like most of london's inhabitants). i havent been back there since so it's great to see some pics that take me back. I can remember when i first started using the tube they used to have the old yellow tickets with the brown back. You had the big cushion barriers that let you out of the station (if i am not mistaken?). I can remember it used to cost 80p to get from turnpike lane to wembley. I bet it costs a bit more than that now.

Also, the northern line trains used to smell like cakes!

Didge
06-03-2005, 03:18 PM
Also, the northern line trains used to smell like cakes!

Late at night, they tend to smell of urine and vomit.