View Full Version : L.E.D. Indicators

Davie
03-03-2005, 04:08 PM
Jus a quick couple of questions for the electricians amongst us
1. I`ve fitted 4 led indicators n want to know how to get the
buggers to flash at the correct speed?
2. If i fit twin headlamps each with side light, dipped headlamp,
and main beam to work together will the standard headlamp
plug and loom cope? or will it fry itself?

Cheers Davie...

Boon
03-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Acumen do what you are looking for you need a WIDE RANGE FLASHER RELAY
If you've customised your bike with LED indicator lamps then the chances are they flash too fast to pass the MOT. Simply fit this wide range flasher relay and guarantee the correct flash rate whatever indicators are fitted.

Price: £30.00 Including VAT at 17.5%

http://www.acumen-electronics.co.uk

you can get other relays to fit

Garry Hogan
03-03-2005, 04:35 PM
Hi Dave, I had the same problem when I fitted different indicators to my bike. If the wattage is less than the originals ( 4x10 Watts ) then the relay has a fit and goes all rapid-flash (is that a real word??) Strangely - if you fit indicators with a bigger draw (watts) than the originals, then the new ones flash correctly! However, when I fitted new "winkers" they were rated at 21 watts each :eek: and although they worked fine for a while, the extra draw on the relay eventually killed it. Halfords do a 4x21 watt relay so now all is good :D When my first set of new indicators went mad, I fitted an inline resistor (from Stu at Spareshack) to both sides, and it calmed them down to a more normal speed. As for the headlights, a decent kit should include an extra relay so as to aid fitment and to stop all the extra power going thru' the original wiring!

dazzi-b
03-03-2005, 04:48 PM
How about the flash rate on my indicators? At the moment I have fitted new tinycators on the back of my bike leaving the stock ones on the front. All four indicators seem to flash at a rate of about 1 flash every3 seconds :mad: it's what you might call very slow indeed :confused:
Any sugestions please? :burnout:

A Yerbury
03-03-2005, 05:15 PM
sorry no? I have two types of motrax ones which work fine (apart from the cheap bulbs)

Zimbo
03-03-2005, 07:40 PM
They're flashing fast because the current draw on the LED indicators is lower than that of standard indicator bulbs. The cheap way to fix it is to fit a resistor in line to each indicator. I don't know enough about it to tell you what value of resistor, perhaps someone else does?? Otherwise Hein Gericke do special resistors custom made for this purpose, cost two pounds something each.

bod
03-03-2005, 09:54 PM
£2 each for a resistor !!! :eek:
Try your local electrical/electronic shop(or if you haven't got one go to Tandy etc..)
If you take the info with you,they should be able to work out the value of the resistor you need V
------
I R
and all that,resistors should be pence.

Albie
03-03-2005, 10:01 PM
Hi Dave, I had the same problem when I fitted different indicators to my bike. If the wattage is less than the originals ( 4x10 Watts ) then the relay has a fit and goes all rapid-flash (is that a real word??) Strangely - if you fit indicators with a bigger draw (watts) than the originals, then the new ones flash correctly! However, when I fitted new "winkers" they were rated at 21 watts each :eek: and although they worked fine for a while, the extra draw on the relay eventually killed it. Halfords do a 4x21 watt relay so now all is good :D When my first set of new indicators went mad, I fitted an inline resistor (from Stu at Spareshack) to both sides, and it calmed them down to a more normal speed. As for the headlights, a decent kit should include an extra relay so as to aid fitment and to stop all the extra power going thru' the original wiring!

These ere relays you buy extra are they straight swap plug-ins or do you have to wire them in separate like. Thinking of some leds to reduce my rear end down before the :eek: :eek: CHOP :eek: :eek: :D

gary tompkins
04-03-2005, 12:36 PM
Jus a quick couple of questions for the electricians amongst us
1. I`ve fitted 4 led indicators n want to know how to get the
buggers to flash at the correct speed?
2. If i fit twin headlamps each with side light, dipped headlamp,
and main beam to work together will the standard headlamp
plug and loom cope? or will it fry itself?

Cheers Davie...

As the guys have already said a couple of in-line resistors should sort the flashers. Running twin headlamps through standard switchgear is a bit risky. It may work ok for a while but the extra current drawn by 110 - 130watts will soon knacker the contacts. It would be better to wire dip and main beam through a relay system in the long run.

Garry Hogan
06-03-2005, 11:04 PM
These ere relays you buy extra are they straight swap plug-ins or do you have to wire them in separate like. Thinking of some leds to reduce my rear end down before the :eek: :eek: CHOP :eek: :eek: :D
Hi Albie, the relay I was on about is a direct replacement for the original that's under the seat (by the foose box and udder relays :D )