PDA

View Full Version : Soft luggage on an S4

rjc
03-03-2005, 11:01 AM
Does anyone know if soft throwover panniers fit on an S4 (not an S4R)?

Richard

A Yerbury
03-03-2005, 12:54 PM
hmm I saw some on ebay the other day? the duc web site is a bit poorly maintained as regards what fits what..given the shotgun wedding they may not.

Keabs
03-03-2005, 05:24 PM
Yeah - I have.

Me and the missus went on a mini-tour of Wales last year and fitted these Oxford Throwovers.

I had to relocate the indicators. I made a small bracket that fitted behind the number plate, to fit the indicators on, then extended the wires to the original connectors.

I put plenty of gaffa tape on the tea-tray (see, they are worth keeping) to stop any scratches.

There was plenty of room for the pillion - but she's got a small bum, so I don't know whether that qaulifies it as being pillion friendly. . . BTW, that's not her in the reflection of the shop window :rolleyes:

Oxford Throwovers (http://www.smartgroups.com/picvault/28043514.JPG/s100_0307.JPG)

andy pea
03-03-2005, 05:48 PM
Richard,

I don't use luggage very much but bought a set of these Oxford "first time" panniers last October for a very wet 4 day trip round Wales - they performed fine, very secure with extra bungies fixed to the pillion hangers and across the top. Also waterproof with the rain covers on - Not very pretty, but effective and good value *takes reviewers hat off ;) *

http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=OXOF414

Keabs,
Very nice shade of blue! Not standard s4?

Andy

CK & AK
03-03-2005, 06:14 PM
Richard - I have some Givi throwovers on my M1000, and used them previously on the 750ie too, without probs - stayed put in the most 'hairiest' moments :eek: and comfortably took my gear to France, Monster w/ends & west country blatts :D

I take it you have low level cans?

C

Albie
03-03-2005, 08:28 PM
I have some throw overs and fitted on S4 and M900. they are australian Gearsacks. Have to under bungys too.Tried them with hih level sils but chickened out about 400yds thinking the ends may melt them. :eek:

Keabs
03-03-2005, 09:00 PM
Yeah that's a real cool pearlescent blue, shines really distinctively in the sun (when we ever get any) - £150 from Extreme Racepaints in Wellingborough, Northants, for the tank, laquered stickers and nose fairing to be painted. . .

Here's another pic showing the relocated (Honda NC30) indicators. I also fitted an Ohlins shock with remote preload adjuster - really helps to adjust the preload when loaded up . . .

It takes a bit of time to swap the Hi-level cans out for standard ones, but that's not too much of a bind for a weeks touring. . .

Blue (http://www.smartgroups.com/picvault/28057066.JPG/s100_0297.JPG)

rjc
04-03-2005, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the info, everyone!

Dean, if you're reading this empty out your mail box!! I can't PM you.

dean
04-03-2005, 08:30 AM
..emptied..

MistaMonsta
05-03-2005, 06:57 PM
Anyone tried using soft panniers with high level cans? I've put H L aluminium Termis on and they don't seem to get more than luke-warm. Oxford panniers seem to have a certain amount of heat shielding too so thought they might be OK. Problem is, by the time you find out it's too hot, it's too late.
One option I thought of was to build some sort of bracket that keeps the panniers off the cans. I really don't want the hassle of swapping the cans over every time I go away. :confused:

Ian

Albie
05-03-2005, 07:05 PM
The only worry I had when i tried with the sils was they were quite short and the carbon was fine it was the ends which were stainless steel. Thats what got hot.

MistaMonsta
05-03-2005, 07:17 PM
I'll check the end cap material. I think I need to do a trial run (in warmer weather) with someone behind to spot any smoke!