PDA

View Full Version : Young Driver Insurance

Phoenix
02-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations for young driver car insurance?
Had a few quotes so far but I think £1800 for a poxy metro is taking the p*** a bit :eek:

A Yerbury
02-03-2005, 05:15 PM
thats a bit steep. my brother is 18 and has to pay about 900 for a very poxy old clio.

MilesB
02-03-2005, 05:54 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations for young driver car insurance?
Had a few quotes so far but I think £1800 for a poxy metro is taking the p*** a bit :eek:

Unfortunately, I think the only real recommendation is to grow older :( - not much help I know...
My sympathies - I remember what my insurance was like when I got my first bike - aged 34 :eek: - becoming 35 helped a lot.

CK & AK
02-03-2005, 06:17 PM
Lin, will check with Becca & email you tomorrow.

I know her 1st ins at 17 for an old fiasco was about £1200! :eek: and that was after shopping about too! - but before she started at Cornhill the year later.

I think CIS was the one she went with initially for the first year - but that was cos I insured with them, so she got discount.

A good bet is to get the fax numbers from quite a few companies, send off info & see what quote they come back with.

Have heard Hastings were very competitive.

Is it for Jason?

C :)

The Kevlar Kid
02-03-2005, 07:11 PM
Try Tesco, they're usually good for young'uns

Mark Walker
03-03-2005, 07:49 AM
There have been adverts for a new insurance company doing the rounds on the telly locally for young drivers....and I can't for the life of me remember the bleedin' name......not much use I know.......

I've also heard good things about Hastings.....and personally (although I know it isn't really the same) went with Elephant.co.uk for my first insurance (I was 30 at the time - but had never had any insurance previously) and got fully comp for 280 compared to up to 800 that I was offered by the likes of DirectLine and Churchill - elephant is part of the Admiral group by the way......might be completely useless info, but the are internet based so there costs are slightly lower.....and so far no-one has matched them when I have renewed. They do a 10 month accelerated NCB scheme too, so after two years insurance I have almost managed 3 years NCB. So they might be worth a look.

Would it be cheaper to insure the car for yourself and add the young driver to that insurance?

Anyway, that's probably a load of useless ramblings......but if I remember the name of tha company I've seen advertised, I'll let you know.....damn you memory

Chappers
03-03-2005, 08:28 AM
I started out at 17 using Direct Line (with them for 3yrs), then went onto Diamond (2yrs) and I've now gone onto Churchill.

Direct Line were brilliant for me as a youngster...until I actually wrote off my car and waited 3months for my cheque to come out of the claim :mad: Other than that, good excess, good premium and full cover :)

Phoenix
03-03-2005, 08:43 AM
Is it for Jason?

C :)

Yes hun it is.

Thanks for the info so far - will keep trying and keep you posted.