PDA

View Full Version : "funny" idle speed

A Yerbury
02-03-2005, 09:24 AM
sorry to be a bit vague there -moi? so this morning whilst riding through the snow and really not using much throttle at all the idle started to increase? then settle down slowly? any thoughts?
Alex.

Dave Pearson
02-03-2005, 09:30 AM
Possibly fuel starvation? A motor that is running out of fuel will momentarily start to race before concking out, so I'm wondering whether you may have a blockage? A bit of carb icing maybe?

A Yerbury
02-03-2005, 09:53 AM
hmm, I think the snow has something to do with it? it raced a bit, then settled then died, how would ice force more fuel through the idle? I had a fiddle with the throttles the other day but they are apart from the idle so its not that.

MikeG
02-03-2005, 10:04 AM
I have the same issue in snow, ice or heavy rain, but as it doesn't seem to cause a problem so I ignore it. Have had the throttle freeze open on one scary morning, due to water in the cables! Occasionally idle sticks at 3000 but that is due to vast amounts of salt and gunge on the cables. I have found that a quick scrub up does the job. As they say!

Dave Pearson
02-03-2005, 10:10 AM
If it raced then died it is most likely to be starved of fuel. I've not experienced carb icing myself, but as I understand it the rapid drop in temperature as the air is forced through the venturi causes small ice crystals to form and these could block the idle jets which keep the motor running at low rpm's.
I guess it could also be a blocked idle jet (foreign body), but with the low temps at the mo I would suspect carb icing. Does the motor run ok at highre revs?

A Yerbury
02-03-2005, 10:14 AM
I have had carb icing in the past and silky pro deals with it. the main jets were fine tho just the idle which was running high? on the fuchs web site they do state "irregular idle " as a result of carb icing. damn, no pro fst around here in normandy but I have emailed silkolene... 8 quid postage online? I think not.

Mrs Soup
02-03-2005, 12:36 PM
Alex - In the absence of FST have you tried running on Premium?

I'll go and teach my granny about egg sucking now....

A Yerbury
02-03-2005, 12:41 PM
hmm fuel over here is 95 or 98? I havent been to any other garages....although premium wont affect icing -im 95% sure- its all about using -usually isopropyll- to emulsify the h2o in the air. and again the bike was running ok it was just the idle? I have been out with some wd and I suspect it was actually the throttle cable...maybe oh I dont know...

MikeG
02-03-2005, 12:55 PM
Sometimes it may be that you get a bit of muck in the jets, I find that a quick high speed, high revs blast clears it, but then again I may just be helping trash my already knackered engine!

A Yerbury
02-03-2005, 12:58 PM
because of the weather I did the entire journey at low revs...

spacemonkey
02-03-2005, 06:44 PM
Lexxy Y, I find that worshipping the FST god is fine, but it doesn't always answer your prayers. I find it only reduces the symptoms, and really cold weather-the sort you describe where the monkeys want their welder back-would bring it on. But if it was only a temporary glitch then don't worry about it...

£8? Bargain. Those shysters at Daytona want £10 a bottle!!!

Rockhopper
03-03-2005, 12:54 PM
Its £4.95 in my local shop.

A Yerbury
03-03-2005, 12:59 PM
bargain! they are going to email a french supplier, is that for the 750 or 1 L ?either way its a good price.

DesmoDog
04-03-2005, 08:08 AM
Alex if you want me to buy you some then post it pm your address over mate.