PDA

View Full Version : Cash machines at service stations

dean
01-03-2005, 12:38 PM
Recently visited a few service stations, it's not often that i travel long distances, and i have noticed that the traditional cash machines provided by banks have been replaced by the type of machines you see in spar (you know, the ones that charge £1.75 to withdraw a tenner). Does anybody know whether this is a national move affecting all service stations or what?

MikeG
01-03-2005, 12:47 PM
Maybe the petrol companies need to increase their profits, I mean times are hard for them!
It is an increasingly common sight and causes me frustration far too often.
MG

Dark-Jon
01-03-2005, 01:12 PM
I believe (and correct me if im wrong) that the banks/building societies have sold off or are selling off their cash machines to A N OTHER company or companies. They pay the banks a preset amount for the 'pleasure' of running the service and pass the costs onto you or I. That way the banks can't be accused of charging people to use their cash machines (which technically they're not) yet still get to make bucket loads more cash from us indirectly. As far as I'm aware, it's pretty much any ATM that isn't in a bank/building society that is being changed over, so service stations, shops etc etc

My answer is, only use the ones on the side of banks (or in them), they dont charge, well, for now anyway...

DJ :)

Chappers
01-03-2005, 01:13 PM
I work for Moto Services at Toddington (Head Office) and I know we are putting those in our BP petrol stations but if you walk into the amenities building the standard cash machines are still in use.

Fodder
01-03-2005, 04:37 PM
Why not? everything else in a service station is marked up so it was only a matter of time.

SAMMYE
01-03-2005, 04:39 PM
One little trick to get around these charges I find, is to use a forklift truck! ;)

Didge
01-03-2005, 11:26 PM
I remember a time, when 'Service Stations' were called garages, and they sold petrol, oil, spark plugs, fan belts, bulbs and anything else you'd need for your car or bike. 'Tis true!
If you wanted a paper, fags or sweets, you'd go to a news agent, and if you wanted grub, you'd go into a grocer or supermarket.
Garages...oops, Service Stations will be selling carpets, fridges & Hi-Fi next, and then they'll find there's not enough profit in petrol, and will stop selling it. So then you'll have to go to the newsagent to by petrol. Probably.

spacemonkey
02-03-2005, 07:00 PM
Ah, but Didge, me old china, in places like London the Anti Car Leftie, muesli munching, bunny hugging, free trade coffee drinking, Guardian reading, Labour voting, Livingstone loving, nazis have more or less totally stopped any form of parking anywhere near any form of convenience store, so you have no choice but to pay over the top prices for milk etc from garages. What's more worrying is the amount of petty stations closing down in london because they aren't viable. The petrol prices are sky high because of the afore mentioned nazis taxation policies, and the garages can't afford to put much mark up on top, especially with supermarkets making very little profit on their petrol. It's all part of Herr Ken's wonderful 6 year plan to get us at the mercy of his transport union chums, and to keep you in a job you hate. Bastards....

Didge
02-03-2005, 10:44 PM
Ah, but Didge, me old china, in places like London the Anti Car Leftie, muesli munching, bunny hugging, free trade coffee drinking, Guardian reading, Labour voting, Livingstone loving, nazis have more or less totally stopped any form of parking anywhere near any form of convenience store, so you have no choice but to pay over the top prices for milk etc from garages. What's more worrying is the amount of petty stations closing down in london because they aren't viable. The petrol prices are sky high because of the afore mentioned nazis taxation policies, and the garages can't afford to put much mark up on top, especially with supermarkets making very little profit on their petrol. It's all part of Herr Ken's wonderful 6 year plan to get us at the mercy of his transport union chums, and to keep you in a job you hate. Bastards....

I have to agree with you Space. That inbred looking goon Livingstone and his lefty chums, have a lot to answer for.