PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite road..

Phoenix
01-03-2005, 08:36 AM
and why?
I know which one mine is but I just need to fetch the map to tell you exactly in a min. It's a great monster road as far as i'm concerned and I think Crust and Ade enjoyed it too. It is in the West Highlands. Lovely lefts and rights not a bad surface and best suited to grunty monsters and a backdrop thats lovely if you can bear to stop to look. Sportbikes pah - monsters would eat you for breakfast on this road :D

CK & AK
01-03-2005, 08:45 AM
Um, the bit of the A39 from Bideford to Bude springs to mind - some of those bends are grrrrreat! :D - as long as you dont go when they are silaging etc, cos then its dodge the tractors/mud etc :eek:

C

The Kevlar Kid
01-03-2005, 01:06 PM
The road from Woburn to Leighton Buzzard, cant remember what its called, but it crosses the A5 where Wheels Motorcycles used to be. Loads of bends and some nice fast straights too..... :burnout:

dean
01-03-2005, 02:14 PM
when coming back from the isle of man last year i seem to remember the road connecting chester/wrexham to mid-wales being quite straight but very long and very fast with great visibility. I think it was the A483. Maybe if there are any Gogs read this they could tell me cos i cant wait to go back there!

coolcatshaft
01-03-2005, 02:49 PM
The arrow straight fosse way B4455 from Leicester to Stow, nice long straights that let even my old 1.4 wheezy rover cage to overtake, some nice scenery to boot.

for bends, my favourite local road is the A606 to Nottingham, lovely bends, crests and cambers, but too short, so its all over rather quickly unfortunately!

Duncan
01-03-2005, 02:57 PM
Dont have to go far for mine.

The Wye Valley from Chepstow to Monmouth. Preferably out with a gang of Ducatis on a summer's evening.

Rabbit
01-03-2005, 03:13 PM
We are spoilt for choice in the Pennines but I do like the Isle of Skye road which goes from Greenfield to Holmfirth. There's a bit of everything there, nice twistys and long straights and a mix of good and bad tarmac with the odd wheelie inducing 'hump' thrown in for good measure :burnout: It is often pretty quiet as well.

The only real downer on this road is the sheep and I have hit one, very hard, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone :eek:.

The Kevlar Kid
01-03-2005, 03:16 PM
We are spoilt for choice in the Pennines but I do like the Isle of Skye road which goes from Greenfield to Holmfirth. The only real downer on this road is the sheep and I have hit one

Don't three old blokes, usually pushing a bathtub or something, get in the way nearer to Holmfirth ?? :D

Lost Again
01-03-2005, 03:38 PM
if your bikes loud enough they generally move out the way in time, to much laughter and comedic leaping of hedges into small streams.

gotta say, from holmfirth to glossop is great fun, then swing a left and your on snakes pass. crackin ride. only problem is i didn;'t know where i was going when i got to sheffield so just ended up blatting back to hudds up the m1.

Bob Dixon
01-03-2005, 04:05 PM
The best kept secret oop North are Cheshires quiet backroads, especially if you take the A50 out of Knutsford and head vaguely in a South Easterly direction.
When all the posers are heading for the Cat and Fiddle, which in my opinion is now virtually unrideable at anything above a gentle bumble, the Cheshire biker can enjoy miles and miles of very fast open country lanes with great visbility and an absence of camera's. It`s the place to be on a summer's evening but I guess it all depends on whether you ride because you want to be seen on your bike or whether you just want to discretely cane the nuts off it with no witnesses.......It ain`t Boxhill or Matlock or the Cat [thank goodness], but it will put a smile on your face.`

Rabbit
01-03-2005, 04:17 PM
Don't three old blokes, usually pushing a bathtub or something, get in the way nearer to Holmfirth ?? :D

Sadly there's only 2 of them left and they tend to keep the bathtub riding to the other side of Holmfirth :D

The Kevlar Kid
01-03-2005, 05:09 PM
Ahh yes, only two...........

Still a few years back you may have encountered Wally and his 'combination' ;)

That reminds me, I have a picture somewhere of a Monster with a side car :eek:

Fodder
01-03-2005, 05:32 PM
For some reason I always loved the A272 from Haywards Heath to Winchester, fast bits, tricky bits, pretty villages and countryside and mostly decent tarmac. An almighty hoon at the end as well after Petersfield over the downs into Winchester.
;)

TLzebub
01-03-2005, 05:40 PM
the A2 antrim coast road bumpy, twisty,great views and especially nw 200 race weekend perfect for twins!!!!

CK & AK
01-03-2005, 06:14 PM
That reminds me, I have a picture somewhere of a Monster with a side car :eek:

Side car? - that could be Keith - from the oxford area - he built a sidecar unit for his Monster, and was often out at meets 3 years or so ago :)

nik_the_brief
01-03-2005, 06:31 PM

I think that one of them may be our very own Diogenes. :D

Rogerg
01-03-2005, 07:06 PM
For some reason I always loved the A272 from Haywards Heath to Winchester, fast bits, tricky bits, pretty villages and countryside and mostly decent tarmac. An almighty hoon at the end as well after Petersfield over the downs into Winchester.
;)

I'm with you on that one - some crazy cats even wrote a book on it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1873429754/qid=1109703834/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_2_1/202-5741510-6776617

nik_the_brief
01-03-2005, 07:40 PM
Down in East Kent we're on the edge of Romney Marsh. The A259 from Hythe out to Rye and then back through Camber and Lydd is a great ride - not majestic and sweeping like some of the roads up t'North but nice twisties and some belting straights too. :burnout:

JMo
01-03-2005, 07:47 PM
B2075 from New Romney to Camber Sands (around Lydd airfield) - Kent.

A423 from Banbury to Southam, then the A426 to Rugby - Oxon & Warks.

A458 (and A470) from Welshpool to Dolgellau - mid Wales. (the A44 from Llangurig to Aberystwyth is great too).

A696 and A68 from Newcastle to Edinburgh - Northumberland and Scotland.

xxx

JMo
01-03-2005, 07:48 PM
I agree with Nik x

xxx

nik_the_brief
01-03-2005, 08:01 PM
And all the local power rangers play around the Ashford ringroad. Great visibility, long fast straights, Shellgrip at the approaches of all the roundabouts.

Not my kind of thing and the local plod are very disapproving and come down hard if they catch you offending but I believe it's a very good racetrack when they're not about! :D

MistaMonsta
01-03-2005, 10:35 PM
This, I think, was the Col de Grand St Bernard in Switzerland - peaked at over 3,000m, with a glacier at the top you could walk inside. Just check out the route - both sides of the valley and that was only a small part of it!

Other memorable ones: going from Italy into Switzerland, Col de Petit St Bernard (snowball fight at the top, in July!!) and crossing the Swiss border into the Black Forest in Germany. Awesome, the lot of 'em.

Ian

The Kevlar Kid
01-03-2005, 11:12 PM
Side car? - that could be Keith - from the oxford area - he built a sidecar unit for his Monster, and was often out at meets 3 years or so ago :)

Could well be, Oxfords not that far from me, and I used to frequent somwhere out that way about then. Now wheres that picture gone......

spacemonkey
01-03-2005, 11:28 PM
The C12 from Andorra to Tortosa in Spain is definitely my ultimate road. So there.

JMo
01-03-2005, 11:49 PM
Yeah yeah - the dirt road through the Todra Gorge in Morocco is not bad either... and don't get me started on the hill climb to the top of The Peak on Hong Kong island...

And now we wait for DRC to trounce us all with his tales from Australia and New Zealand... x

xxx

JMo
01-03-2005, 11:55 PM
The perennial Sussex favorite - the B2141 from Lavant to South Harting, then the B2146 back to Funtington - excellent!

And of course the B2133 from Ashington to Adversane (usually en route to Boxhill from Washington) - Sussex.

And not forgetting the B3006 from Liss to Alton, then the A339 on to Basingstoke for any Hampsters out there...

xxx

Fodder
02-03-2005, 12:19 AM
B2075 from New Romney to Camber Sands (around Lydd airfield) - Kent.

Two up when I did that one, was a bit hard on the front end that day :) must've been following you ;)

Fodder
02-03-2005, 12:22 AM
A423 from Banbury to Southam, then the A426 to Rugby - Oxon & Warks.

Most fun to be had on an M600 on that one as well, again I think I was following you :D

If we're getting silly, we did part of the Dakar route in the Tunisian Sahara, now that was good.

steviej
02-03-2005, 12:26 AM
A49 Cheshire..................................cat :D :D

Spanner
02-03-2005, 05:27 AM
Well now you come to mention it JMo! The Great Ocean Road from Torquay to Port Campell in Victoria Australia would be mine. If I was on me bike and not in a bleedin' tin can of a hire car that is. There are many more along the East Coast of oz too but I don't remember their names. Would've been good to have my bike up in Northern Queensland too. Apart from the fact that you have to be on the look out for Casowarys. A five foot tall bird with a spike on their leg that can disembowel you!!! No it's true, I'm not referring to some of the chav bints you encounter as a backpacker. Speaking of chav. Can I please nominate Von Dutch as the new chav label of choice. Finally toppling Burberry/fake Burberry from the top of the pile. It's everywhere over here.

Closer to home I am an A272 fan, shame it's so popular with the rozzers though.

Spanner
02-03-2005, 05:30 AM
Well the A423 Banbury road would have been good for me too if it wasn't where the carburettor diaphragms hadn't given up the ghost. Riding all the way back to Sussex like that was not fun.

Julie
02-03-2005, 07:01 AM
The arrow straight fosse way B4455 from Leicester to Stow, nice long straights that let even my old 1.4 wheezy rover cage to overtake, some nice scenery to boot.

for bends, my favourite local road is the A606 to Nottingham, lovely bends, crests and cambers, but too short, so its all over rather quickly unfortunately!

The A60 from Nottingham into loughborough.

and all the roads spike takes us on, he knows loads of great roads around leics. Hurry home spike and bring some weather with you x

Spike
02-03-2005, 07:17 AM
Checking out some of the roads in South island NZ and they are to die for literally...if you get it wrong, when they say it is a 15 KM an hour corner they mean it, we will be back all too soon Julie.......

MilesB
02-03-2005, 12:58 PM
A favourite of mine is the A44 - all of it from west of Oxford to Aberystwyth - it's got everything :bunny: :bunny: :burnout:

Locally there are some fun roads in Kent, including the A20 from Maidstone to Charing... twisties and fast bits, with not too much traffic as its all on the Motorway now :D

Down in the country, and the back end of the Romney Marsh, the Camber to Lydd Road has already been mentioned, but fun in a different way, is the Military Road from Rye to Appledore - dead straight with Chicanes :eek: - Just how good is your cornering???

Tom
02-03-2005, 01:09 PM
Err Hello !!!!

Baldock to Buntingford please.. also referred to as the mini TT.

In fact the rest of the A507 is cracking too !!

Be careful on a Sunday morning as it's easy pickins for the boys in blu .. but then i reckon if you get caught on that road on a bike you deserve the fine :twisted:

Mand
02-03-2005, 01:29 PM
My favourite road is the road that takes me away from the office and home.

Julie
02-03-2005, 01:30 PM
My favourite road is the road that takes me away from the office and home.

...its the one from the Vic to my house isnt it?

Mand
02-03-2005, 01:32 PM
You got me there. The one from the Vic to your house is the best. :D

A Yerbury
02-03-2005, 01:38 PM
The road of excess, it leads to the palace of wisdom.

Mand
02-03-2005, 01:39 PM
Thought provoking.

gary tompkins
02-03-2005, 01:59 PM
There are some cracking roads in Kent. Nik, Miles & Jenny have already mentioned a few, but here's a few of my personal favourites.

The B2016 & A228 through to Paddock Wood (locally known as 7 mile lane) then cutting through Yalding on the B2162 & on through to Horsmondon (Collier street) before picking up the A262. A nice loop from here is the A262 to Sissinghurst via Goudhurst, past the Three Chimmneys Pub (great for grub & real ale), before heading back home on the A274 through Headcorn.

For a longer blast I'd continue down towards Rye on the A262, A28 and A268, and maybe head out across the marshes for a play on the A259 & B2067. The Canal road is a real hoot, but you need to have something to clean your visor in the summer. It will get plastered with insects especially at dusk, and you'll struggle on the dark lanes on the homeward leg.

Another regular summer jaunt is the A267 from Tonbridge Wells down to Wessons Cafe at Horam, before heading home via Battle, Rye and Tenterden. A 2nd homewards option is the A272 to Five Ash down and B2026 (about 25 miles of twisties) to Westerham.

My Dad lives at Melksham, and I realy enjoy some of the roads across Salisbury Plain on my trips down there. The A360 Devizes road or A345 being a good grin, but you have to watch for mud at the tank crossings on the plain ;)

Tom
02-03-2005, 03:05 PM
Hey Mand .. cool avatar !!
Kinda hypnotising don't ya think .. but oddly therapeutic!!!

MistaMonsta
02-03-2005, 11:07 PM
I live near the 423 Banbury/Southam and quite near to the A44 with Fish Hill and on towards Wales, with those fantastic bends but good as all these UK roads are, I felt so down when I got back from my European trips because their good roads just seem to be 10 times longer, with a tenth of the traffic. And no plods.
Kinda spoils you and makes you depressed.

Fodder
03-03-2005, 12:16 AM
Ah Fish hill, a regular Monster weekend ride out. Very nice.

SAMMYE
13-03-2005, 01:54 PM
Gotta be the A20 as it goes past Brans Hatch, Roared down there today!! Only a short stretch really but still really enjoy it

nik_the_brief
13-03-2005, 03:04 PM
This end of the A20 has some nice bends too, in fact it's a pretty good blast the whole way. I like the bit between Ashford and Maidstone too, through Charing and Harrietsham. :twisted:

slob
13-03-2005, 03:10 PM
The coast road between Scarbrough and Whitby, in N.Yorks.

SazzaG
13-03-2005, 05:03 PM
Had a pootle on some of the all time Sussex favourites today:

A285 Petworth to Chichester
B2141 to South Harting (usual 2 finger salute to the White Horse at Chilgrove)
B2146 to Petersfield
A272 home

Nice!

Saz

A Yerbury
13-03-2005, 05:24 PM
the road to ruin is quite a laugh.
Alex.xx
ps.Attn michael fish fanciers! Very nice and sunny over here today. So I took the coast rd (the overlord bit) that was nice apart from some deadly priorite a droite and some very slow old folk...nearly dead(ly)

Mand
13-03-2005, 05:39 PM
I have experienced snow and sunshine in one day whilst on the Monster.

It was sunny when I left home, it snowed whilst I was the A6 and decided to be cloudy when I visited the lovely Ruth.

PS I quite like the roundabout near to Quorn, I liked it so much I went round it three times.

Dizzy bird Mand :)

slob
13-05-2005, 11:54 AM
just discovered.... R44 south from Gordon's Bay 20Km of perfect twisting tarmac along the coastal mountains, with a stunning view of the Cape peninsula across False Bay and a biker bar at Rooi Els, called Buchanans pub at the end of it!

DesmoDog
13-05-2005, 12:11 PM
A696 and A68 from Newcastle to Edinburgh - Northumberland and Scotland.

Sadly now festooned with Gatsos and even worse, coppers on Fireblades! But the 696 is lovely. Any road off the 696 and 68 will deliver you into bike heaven, usually literally. We have a lot of scraping off the raods up here at this time of year.

nik_the_brief
13-05-2005, 12:23 PM
Well the Lydd, Camber, Rye roads have been mentioned a few times now. Anyone coming to join up with some of the Kentites this Sunday? Take a peek at the Rumble thread. :burnout:

Lost Again
13-05-2005, 12:57 PM
On the whole Northumberland thing, for those that know it I live just outside Warkworth. A few miles south of Alnwick. Getting to the end of me drive puts me on a really fun road, and any road after that is brilliant! Its great, not many cops and decent tarmac. only problem is in the summer when it completely fills up with people coming up to lovely northumberland for the day. Easy answer, ride in winter!

BoozyBOB
13-05-2005, 04:08 PM
A7 Carlisle to Edinburgh...then A198 coast road (stop at my mums for tea and cake) to Dunbar..
or
leave A7 at Galashiels and take the A72 till A70...just for the view of course... :twisted: :burnout:

Spike
13-05-2005, 09:21 PM
The 6047 Market Harborough to Melton road

dean
13-05-2005, 10:02 PM
my favourite road is the one that leads home.

apologies if somebody else has already said this, i confess to not having read all the posts on this thread.

Banshee
13-05-2005, 10:35 PM
Its the A5 from Bangor to Shrewsbury.. ok ok its bendy and all that but it leads out of Wales..... :rolleyes:

claicerrig
14-05-2005, 11:40 AM
You`r goading me for a response Banshee :p :p that crack out of Wales :)

Trouble with that road is TOO Many Traffic Taliban and the Crash Total for the season is like a Welsh Rugby Score :eek: :(

There are much better Biking roads on Anglesey that dont have a presence!!!

Or my fave trip is called Storming the Castles.Start at Beaumaris Castle and then visit all King EDDIE the First castles in North Wales :lol:

Any one fancy that trip ?

queen_gpants
14-05-2005, 04:16 PM
I found a nice little stretch of twisty road the other week, sadly I was in the Jeep so unable to enjoy it...

It's the A308 Marlow Road as you come off the A404 and head towards Maidenhead town centre, it only runs for about 3 miles but it's got some lovely corners, unfortunately the tarmac is a bit crap on some of the lines but I'm gonna give it a go soon, the worst that can happen is I loose it on a loose bit of shingle and end up in the bushes! :eek:

Mr Cake
14-05-2005, 06:43 PM
As said before, we're spoilt for choice here in Cheshire. In my opinion the Cat & Fiddle road is too well known and littered with the fuzz. Its certainly not all its cracked up to be, most lanes in Cheshire are way more lairy that that you've just got to know where to look :D

A49 Cuddington to Shrewsbury is nice, and a local sprint from Winsford to Nantwich is a mini TT :D

Dave

jvp
14-05-2005, 09:27 PM
I quite like the A20 from the M20 to the M20 underpass, but after that its to straight for and you can just go more or less flat out to Charring ( Except for the Harrietsham bit 40mph).
I like it from Charring to Canterbury, and from the A2 to Thanet via Wingham. Brenzett to Ryes ok, and Rye to Pevensy via Battle.
In general I prefer twisty gear changing roads to sweeping roll on off roads, but as long as I am riding I am Happy.
I can't ever see me buying a plastic fantastic again, Although a friend has just let me ride his new Fireblade with 37 miles on the clock and it was excellent, but not exciting.
Jay

walkingpictures
15-05-2005, 12:45 AM
My favourite road would have a Phoenix at the end of it......mnnnnnnnnn ;) ;) ;)

Plum
15-05-2005, 03:02 PM
My favorite road? Any that have a 40MPH speed limit (the max in Jersey)!

Although i have a couple that have that 'something' about them, normally with bends and a 20MPH max speed. Do i stick to the limit through those bends......? Do i bollox!

Away, it must be every road i did at the weekender!

DesmoDog
16-05-2005, 11:06 AM
Lost, where are you? Uddersfield or Waaakwuth? You really should drop in for tea sometime - that or a pootle around the coastal route.

On the whole Northumberland thing, for those that know it I live just outside Warkworth. A few miles south of Alnwick. Getting to the end of me drive puts me on a really fun road, and any road after that is brilliant! Its great, not many cops and decent tarmac. only problem is in the summer when it completely fills up with people coming up to lovely northumberland for the day. Easy answer, ride in winter!

Lost Again
16-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Currently sitting at work in Hudds. Not been up home in a while so I think I might take a trip up at some point in the next few weeks to see the parents. I'll give you and Scotty a shout and we can meet up for a bimble. Then you can hear my new improved cans! Still the same cans as before but, ummm, modified slightly. If I'm not up in the next couple of weeks I'll definately be up towards the end of june. Its my birthday so I'll have to go home at some point near the time.

DesmoDog
16-05-2005, 12:09 PM
Great! We'll see if we can drag Celt out too. BTW, I think I can hear your cans from here..

Lost Again
16-05-2005, 12:42 PM
Hmmm, I suppose it is possible that you've heard my bike already. When you chop down straight through pipes from 18" long to 6" they don't have a massive silencing effect. sounds nicer than just the front pipes though.

moor-ph0
16-05-2005, 05:27 PM
Basically all roads in this area- roads excellent - scenery wonderful. Try the road to Applecross and then onto Sheldaig - superb.
Geoff

MilesB
17-05-2005, 12:43 PM
Basically all roads in this area- roads excellent - scenery wonderful. Try the road to Applecross and then onto Sheldaig - superb.
Geoff
Now I'm envious ;) - I love the NW Highlands, and to do them on a Monster would be awesome... unfortunately living in Kent it's almost closer and easier to ride to the Alps :rolleyes: