PDA

View Full Version : End of the road for little Chef?

Duncan
28-02-2005, 09:00 PM
Little Chef could be forced to hang up apron

Feb 28 2005

Western Mail

ROADSIDE favourite the Little Chef could hang up his apron after nearly half a century of serving hungry motorists, it was reported yesterday.

Owners of the restaurant chain think the brand, famous for its tubby chef logo, is outdated after falling victim to pressures such as the trend towards healthy eating.

Private equity group Permira, which recently confirmed plans to split up the chain by selling a large chunk of its outlets, believes it is "highly unlikely" a new owner would want to keep the brand, according to the Sunday Times.

One company insider was quoted as saying the restaurants were only popular with the young, the elderly and "people who wanted to use the lavatories".

If the brand disappears, it will mark the end of an era for motorists. The chain started life as an 11-seat outlet in Reading, Berkshire, in 1958, and now has sites across the UK and Ireland.

I must check my last bill from Little Chef, it was so exorbitant I thought I was buying shares in the company rather than a cup of tea.

Despite the Hampsters doing their best to keep the Little Thief chain going its not enough. Where you going to meet now guys?

:D :D

Didge
28-02-2005, 09:05 PM
Ah yes. Those greasy over-priced breakfast meals, will be just a memory.
They'll probably all end up as McDonalds, so then we can savour cheap greasy food instead, whilst surrounded by all the local oiks and chavs that are attracted to these places like flies to ........well, you get the drift!

CraigMac
01-03-2005, 12:04 PM
I was going to call in to my local "Little Theif" the other day for a cup of tea, but I decided against it as I only had a "Tenner" in my wallet.

celt
01-03-2005, 01:20 PM
its a shame really cause i quite like the breakfasts. its not the outdated image thats killed little chef its the bloody price of their food.
its should be a fat suit and tie guy on the logo not a chef.

SteveSki
01-03-2005, 01:35 PM
I'm actually really hurt that they may be vanishing......

I don't think anything has come close to an Olympic Breakfast on a sunday lunchtime,
to help cure me from a hangover.......

plus the cherry and ice-cream pancakes cure the munchies no-end....... :twisted: