PDA

View Full Version : 100 greatest cartoons

dean
28-02-2005, 01:49 PM
Did anybody see this last night on channel 4?

No great surprize that the simpsons won it but i was surprized that they didnt include the hair bear bunch in the list. The hair bear bunch even had a monster (ok, it was an invisible bike but it could have been a monster)

Also as much as liked toy story and all the pixelated animation, i wouldnt call it a cartoon and was a bit miffed at pixelated stuff being inluded.

Anybody have their favourites left out?

Mark Walker
28-02-2005, 02:10 PM
I didn't see it all.......did Chorlton and the Wheelies make it in? I saw it up to about number 40, and did think some of the choices a bit weird.....Wacky Races only at 100? And what was Mr Magoo doing in there at all.......but then I guess it is all down to the people who voted......

CraigMac
28-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Yes, I missed it too.
Did Foghorn Leghorn get placed??
He was the big rooster, whose catch phrase was...."I say, I say"...
In fact a mate of mine has got legs like him!!
Regards..

dean
28-02-2005, 02:19 PM
i didnt see chorlton and the wheelies, however i missed one segment so they may have been there.One of my favourites, belleville rendeavous was there but only in the 70s whic was a bit low down.

Didnt see foghorn leghor either, he was ok, i say ok.

Mark Walker
28-02-2005, 02:28 PM
Foghorn Leghorn was in there....can't remember where, but I do remember seeing him being hit with a hammer by the Chicken Hawk....

CraigMac
28-02-2005, 02:38 PM
Another of my favourites.....Pepe Le-Pugh.
Did he feature in the list?
He thought he was a big hit with ladies and always came on to "Foxy" looking female cats, but he stunk to high heaven!!!
In fact, ive got a mate like him too.....

dean
28-02-2005, 02:41 PM
Yup, le peu was there, somewhere in the mid 50s as i recollect, a few brief clips of some of his more "family" oriented cartoons.

Bob Dixon
28-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Yes, I missed it too.
Regards..

Oh yeah, and who might you be talking about?

CraigMac
28-02-2005, 03:03 PM
I cant answer that because im ignoring you!!!
Im very upset, and i hurt deep inside.

A Yerbury
28-02-2005, 03:03 PM
was kiddies favourite "captain pugwash" there? morph is animation too no? I blame thatcher............

A Yerbury
28-02-2005, 03:04 PM
ignore the pain, I do, in fact I have a special button.

Chappers
28-02-2005, 03:06 PM
Yes, I missed it too.
Regards..

He was on there coz they said that's where Fred Elliott (Corry) got his catch phrase from but for love nor money I can't remember what number he came in at - sorry :confused:

Chappers
28-02-2005, 03:08 PM
was kiddies favourite "captain pugwash" there? morph is animation too no? I blame thatcher............

Yup, that was in there too, they were commenting on the characters names, saying that it was meant more for adults :rolleyes:

Bob Dixon
28-02-2005, 03:08 PM
I missed this unfortunately.
I don`t think there has ever been any cartoons to surpass the Fred Quimby produced Tom and Jerry episodes from the late forties until the early fifties. I`m assuming they got a credit.
Nowadays I must confess to liking King of the Hill, which has been sadly missing from the schedules lately. I say, I say

Chappers
28-02-2005, 03:11 PM
I missed this unfortunately.
I don`t think there has ever been any cartoons to surpass the Fred Quimby produced Tom and Jerry episodes from the late forties until the early fifties. I`m assuming they got a credit.
Nowadays I must confess to liking King of the Hill, which has been sadly missing from the schedules lately. I say, I say

Tom & Jerry came quite high, within top 10 I believe but I was watching it on and off as I was house cleaning and ironing - I'm such a fun gal...NOT :(

'Mask' (cars/bikes) used to be my fave cartoon but you have to remember I'm an 80's baby so don't remember half of the toons they showed :o

CraigMac
28-02-2005, 03:13 PM
Thanks for your prompt replies.
No problem chappers, as long as he was in there!
Yerbs, I could do with one of those buttons....
I can hear sombody else....... but iv'e got my ignoring hat on.....
In fact we could sell these on the internet!!
Regards

dean
28-02-2005, 03:18 PM

didnt see pugwash either, nor morph, although nick parks was there with the creature comforts, wallace and gromit.

SteveSki
28-02-2005, 03:27 PM
I only picked it up from about number 58 but was He-man on there?
I know Thundercats was........now Chetara.....DAMN.......oh and Jessica Rabbit...

CraigMac
28-02-2005, 03:28 PM
Morph, I didnt know that they had done a cartoon series of that. Is it still set in and around Oxford?
Ill bet that they have made him and has sidekick look a lot younger and changed his Mk11 Jaguar for an XK8, just to appeal to the kids.
Im amazed!!
Regards.

dean
28-02-2005, 03:38 PM
Morph, I didnt know that they had done a cartoon series of that. Is it still set in and around Oxford?
Ill bet that they have made him and has sidekick look a lot younger and changed his Mk11 Jaguar for an XK8, just to appeal to the kids.
Im amazed!!
Regards.

Just a thought....

CraigMac
28-02-2005, 03:40 PM
Dont go there........
Just put the gun down........

dean
28-02-2005, 03:45 PM
and step away from the thread.

p.s Bergerac would do him anyday, a far more rock and roll detective.

Hang about, i'm hijaking my own thread. that's it, i'm ignoring me.

A Yerbury
28-02-2005, 03:55 PM
king of the hill is sublime...was aeon fux in there..?
Alex "its propane!" yerbury.

CraigMac
28-02-2005, 03:55 PM
Those ignoring hats are dead uncomfortable......Ive taken mine off now as Mr Dixon is not online.
Dean, dont ignore yourself... You'll get a complex, which could involve you taking yourself seriously!!
Regards.

dean
28-02-2005, 03:58 PM
i think the simspons deserved to win it, futurama was undeservedly somewhere in the 30s or 40s. As some of the pundits saidon tv last night , if futurama had come out first, it would probably hold the staus the the simpsons now has.

CraigMac
28-02-2005, 04:01 PM
Whats a Staus? is that latin of German?
Regards.

Chappers
28-02-2005, 04:02 PM
I only picked it up from about number 58 but was He-man on there?
I know Thundercats was........now Chetara.....DAMN.......oh and Jessica Rabbit...

He-Man was there with Skeletor but don't ask me what number.

dean
28-02-2005, 04:04 PM
was mid 50s, they seemed to say he was gay.

Bet they wouldnt say it to his face though.

He's slap their legs well red.

dean
28-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Whats a Staus? is that latin of German?
Regards.

is a comedy award.

No danger of anybody round here getting one then.

Chappers
28-02-2005, 04:12 PM
There was even one on there called 'Queer Duck' that was literally a gay duck who walked round being well camp and telling everyone he was a fag?! :confused: :lol:

berto
28-02-2005, 05:21 PM
Jungle burger...remember that??

dean
01-03-2005, 08:30 AM
Jungle burger...remember that??

I remember sneaking in to my local odeon to see jungle burger when it came out (late 70s?). Was too young as it was an "X" rated. Seem to remember masturbating monkeys?

Sadly it was not in the top 100, in fact i dont know what became of the film as i havent seen or heard of it since. I feel a google search coming on.

However fritz the cat was.

Didge
01-03-2005, 08:59 AM
I don't believe you lot!!!
Not one mention of Road Runner & Wile E. Coyote.

Beep..Beep!.....................

dean
01-03-2005, 09:04 AM
I don't believe you lot!!!
Not one mention of Road Runner & Wile E. Coyote.

Beep..Beep!.....................

RR& Wile came in at the 40s, with bill oddie waxing about the fact that road runners actually exist.

Mark Walker
01-03-2005, 09:08 AM
Saw a clip of Akira when the programme was starting.....did it make it in there anywhere?.....much better than that Legend of the Overfiend that made it in a bit higher up......

dean
01-03-2005, 09:09 AM
Never heard of it personally but it was up in the twentys somewhere. was very highly regarded too.

Mark Walker
01-03-2005, 09:19 AM
Buy it/rent it/borrow it.....excellent piece of Japanese animation.....cracking story too.....highly recommended.....

CraigMac
01-03-2005, 12:16 PM
Its on the tip of my tounge.....the one with the dog....that looks very depressed......very funny......
And the Elmer Fudd character.......with the shotgun...who's got a contract out on Bugs Bunny.....
All top stuff...

Isn't that Hentai stuff a bit dodgy though!!!!
Regards.

dean
01-03-2005, 12:30 PM
Its on the tip of my tounge.....the one with the dog....that looks very depressed......very funny......
And the Elmer Fudd character.......with the shotgun...who's got a contract out on Bugs Bunny.....
All top stuff...

Isn't that Hentai stuff a bit dodgy though!!!!
Regards.

The dogs name is droopy, no offence meant. What's hentai Craig?

Chappers
01-03-2005, 01:16 PM
Buy it/rent it/borrow it.....excellent piece of Japanese animation.....cracking story too.....highly recommended.....

Akira - absolutely brilliant! :) I watch all the Manga cartoons which are mainly rated 18+, Guyver and Fist of the North Star are another 2 faves of mine.

SAMMYE
01-03-2005, 01:19 PM
Akira - absolutely brilliant! :) I watch all the Manga cartoons which are mainly rated 18+, Guyver and Fist of the North Star are another 2 faves of mine.

Legend of the Overfiend! :cool: now that was a good one

CraigMac
01-03-2005, 01:21 PM
Yep Deans,
Thats him, Thanks,
Hentai im led to believe is rude Japanese cartoons.....with naughty ladies....doing rude things.......which is very rude.......some of them are in the nude!!!
Regards
Craig.

Chappers
01-03-2005, 01:22 PM
Legend of the Overfiend! :cool: now that was a good one

That was just one messed up film hun, giant willies coming out of the ground and stuff - just wrong :confused: :lol:

SAMMYE
01-03-2005, 01:25 PM
That was just one messed up film hun, giant willies coming out of the ground and stuff - just wrong :confused: :lol:

well if you play your cards right ;) (joke)

dean
01-03-2005, 01:27 PM
Yep Deans,
Thats him, Thanks,
Hentai im led to believe is rude Japanese cartoons.....with naughty ladies....doing rude things.......which is very rude.......some of them are in the nude!!!
Regards
Craig.

Is bukake another japanese cartoon?

CraigMac
01-03-2005, 01:33 PM
Thats when a lot of people are reading a very heavy book and they have to put it down, because there arms ache....
I think its men reading a book to one lady.....or somthing like that!!
Regards.
Craig

dean
01-03-2005, 01:44 PM
Thats when a lot of people are reading a very heavy book and they have to put it down, because there arms ache....
I think its men reading a book to one lady.....or somthing like that!!
Regards.
Craig

that sounds very interesting, when i get home from work tonight, i am going to gather the kids around and do a nice family internet search.

Thanks for the advice Craig!

CraigMac
01-03-2005, 03:00 PM
Dean,
No problem, hope the search goes well.
If your into cooking try an indepth search on " Roasting" Im led to believe there are some great pages on that and other ways to cook various choice cuts of meat.
Regards
Craig.
(Youv'e hijacked your own thread again, is this allowed??)

dean
01-03-2005, 03:38 PM
Deputy dawg weren't on there either, as far as i know.

CraigMac
01-03-2005, 03:49 PM
Now thats what I call a Band!!!
Suger la la la la la laaa Oh Honey Honey!!!
Now they must have been on there!!!
Dean, you watched it....so were they??
Regards

dean
01-03-2005, 03:56 PM
Now thats what I call a Band!!!
Suger la la la la la laaa Oh Honey Honey!!!
Now they must have been on there!!!
Dean, you watched it....so were they??
Regards

No, i dont mean the band the who, as far as i know they were never in cartoons, although i think they may have had a few guest slots on some early episodes of betty boop. I mean who are the archies?!, you got me craig, never heard of 'em.

The arabian knights! (not the baron knights, they're history), they were on the banana splits "size of an elephant!", they weren't on there either!

Neither were the hair bear bunch, one of the most underrated cartoons around (my opening post referred to their invisible motorbike, a v-twin by all accounts)

CraigMac
01-03-2005, 04:03 PM
Dean,
1969 Saturday morning cartoon show.....Hit record with "Sugar Suger"
American made up band type thing.....
Check it out on your family web search thingy.....Dont worry, it wont take you to some Swedish site!!!
Cheers
Craig.

dean
01-03-2005, 04:14 PM
Dean,
1969 Saturday morning cartoon show.....Hit record with "Sugar Suger"
American made up band type thing.....
Check it out on your family web search thingy.....Dont worry, it wont take you to some Swedish site!!!
Cheers
Craig.

I remember the song, but i am afraid i was ony three in '69 so was not fully intelectually developed, that came in '71.

I have just bought a caravan recently and it's funny you should mention Swedish sites, i have been looking to visit there, you'd be amazed at how many Swedish sites there are. Just type it in a google search and heaps come up. However not all swedish camp sites allow cooking, so my tip would be type in swedish sites- roasting. that should narrow the search down.

Happy camping!

CraigMac
01-03-2005, 04:25 PM
Dean, wonderful.
There are some great, handy tips to be had on this site.
Im going to try that one.
If any one else comes up with any "Top Tips" on anything at all, it might be worth posting them.
Just a thought!!
Now I believe in Sweden they call boxing "Fisticuffs" or something simelar!!
Have I got the right wording here....

nik_the_brief
01-03-2005, 05:24 PM
Dean, wonderful.
There are some great, handy tips to be had on this site.
Im going to try that one.
If any one else comes up with any "Top Tips" on anything at all, it might be worth posting them.
Just a thought!!
Now I believe in Sweden they call boxing "Fisticuffs" or something simelar!!
Have I got the right wording here....

If it's family Google searches then I'd suggest you try 'dogging' - after all there seem to be a large number of canine based cartoon characters and I'm sure you'll find something for every member of the family. :D

A Yerbury
01-03-2005, 05:29 PM
hhmmm could It be NTB? mild mannered janitor and casher in of divorce flavoured misery? coooouuuld be!!!

nik_the_brief
01-03-2005, 05:37 PM
I'd be nowhere without my faithful cat Spot though! :D

Didge
01-03-2005, 11:13 PM
You may want to look up 'Cottaging'. I'm sure you'll find some quaint buildings when you do. And I believe it will cover a bit of 'camping' as well.

Dave in USA
02-03-2005, 04:15 AM
58 replies....and not a single mention of Johnny Bravo????

:eek:

Didge
02-03-2005, 10:53 AM
58 replies....and not a single mention of Johnny Bravo????

:eek:

Who he? :confused:

Mark Walker
02-03-2005, 10:56 AM
see above......

Was(is) a quality cartoon.....one of the new breed that actually made me laugh......perhaps along the same lines as other classics such as Ren and Stimpy and Spongebob Squarepants.......

dean
02-03-2005, 10:57 AM
Who he? :confused:

Is Dave's avatar. He wasnt on the 100 greatest cartoons (sorry dave in the USA)

CraigMac
02-03-2005, 11:02 AM
Am I right in thinking that Bravo's catchphrase is "Hey little Momma" spoken in an Elvish-esque kind of way.
Looks like he works out a lot. Massivley developed upper torso......Roid abuse??

A Yerbury
02-03-2005, 11:07 AM
Roid abuse? most assuredly, Dave in a da usa has a tattoo of the little fella, (Jonny Bravo, not his willy)

cgreen
02-03-2005, 07:40 PM
Good to see spirited away in the top 10, story is totally hatstand but an addictive watch all the same, agree with other post about overfiend being highly placed over akira, overfiend imo was only there cos of the shock factor because it was a bit "rude" :D