PDA

View Full Version : Bar End Mirrors

Chappers
27-02-2005, 05:38 PM
Has anyone seen or got a pic of a Monnie with bar end mirrors on please?

crust
27-02-2005, 05:44 PM
Pedros got them on his M900

have a look at the pics in this thread

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=10847

drop him a pm, I think his are pushbike ones

:) Crust

Chappers
27-02-2005, 06:02 PM
Brill, thanks for that :)

Didge
27-02-2005, 06:21 PM
Bar end mirrors are great in my opinion. Motrax make them in alloy or black.
I've got the black ones. They are fully adjustable, and I've had no problems with them. The only thing to be aware of Chappers, is that because they are small convex mirrors, things look further away than they really are, but one gets used to that.

A Yerbury
27-02-2005, 06:26 PM
I am buying some tomorrow, I only want one so there will be one going spare...if it all works..

nik_the_brief
27-02-2005, 06:29 PM
Yep, I've got Motrax ones, only about £30 or so. The silver ones don't stand up to the weather at all and look ****e after a few months exposure to the more inclement weather that this country throws at us.

As Pedro has told others about bar ends though it's a wise idea to silicone the beggars in coz a Monnie just shakes the glass out otherwise. The actual glass can be replaced with plastic (flatter) ones from any good cycle shop as it's just a standard 3". Motrax don't do replacements themselves (surprise, surprise!).

Beware if you're filtering though, it makes the bike considerably wider! :eek:

Didge
27-02-2005, 06:36 PM
I am buying some tomorrow, I only want one so there will be one going spare...if it all works..

Yerbs, that's what I did. One on the Monster, and one on the little CG when I had it. I find fitting two, limits ones filtering abilities too much.

A Yerbury
27-02-2005, 07:18 PM
I am mounting them inwards...pic to follow/explain!

Pedro
27-02-2005, 10:38 PM
Motrax Part Number is MBM I think, about £30 and definitely silicon the glass in!

Motrax can supply spare glass if you ask really nicely! Go easy tightening all the bolts up as I managed to crack one of the arms.

The only downside I think is that it makes the bars a little wider which can be a pain when filtering.

Ped

SAMMYE
28-02-2005, 09:17 AM
hmmm youve got me thinking about them now Chappers! :rolleyes:

Didge
28-02-2005, 09:43 AM
hmmm youve got me thinking about them now Chappers! :rolleyes:

Sam, one thing that's always annoyed me with the Monster, is that the really nice looking mirrors tend to be useless to use, and the crap looking ones work. The Motrax bar-end mirrors look really nice IMO, and are pretty unobtrusive.
The only problem is that they increase the width of the bars, making filtering a bit more difficult in some situations as mentioned above, and that the reflected image is quite small.
Over all though, I think that they are nice mirrors at very low cost.
I've not had the glass pop out of mine, but Ped's reminder of that possibility, will galvanise me into getting out the silicon.

A Yerbury
28-02-2005, 10:27 AM
pics to follow re filtering.

Chappers
28-02-2005, 11:57 AM
Thanks everyone for the info, still in 2 minds whether to get them tho what with the width issue, shame they can't arch over slightly more into the bike rather than outwards if you get what I mean :confused: but then s'pose that really fecks up the visability even more :rolleyes:

If not, I'm gonna go for some carbon fibre ovalish mirrors but looking at the ducati store they are £85+VAT EACH :eek: !!! Much prefer £30 for bar ends :D

A Yerbury
28-02-2005, 12:29 PM
there is a way -hopefully- to mount them inwards, and visibility wise a mirror should always be used with a life saver. Ill post a pic later....being france the local bike mega duplex is on a 2 hour lunch break...........

Albie
28-02-2005, 05:34 PM
Jmo has the solution and mounted them inwards through arms. Seems to work ok. :D

Chappers
28-02-2005, 05:36 PM
Jmo has the solution and mounted them inwards through arms. Seems to work ok. :D

Get me a pic please hun? :p

SAMMYE
28-02-2005, 05:37 PM

Jmo has a solution to everything though!!

Albie
28-02-2005, 05:40 PM
And most seem to work. Thats why her bikes so tidy and no nonsense. Cool exhaust as well. :D

A Yerbury
28-02-2005, 06:09 PM
Jennys are not bar end ones, I got some bar ends and mounted them thus (inward) one needs to swap the stems left to right but it works well.
alex.
ps the larger mirror is off now, I only need one. If you get bar ends then simply flip the mirror thread upside down. very neat.

Chappers
28-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Jennys are not bar end ones, I got some bar ends and mounted them thus (inward) one needs to swap the stems left to right but it works well.
alex.
ps the larger mirror is off now, I only need one. If you get bar ends then simply flip the mirror thread upside down. very neat.

Been waiting for this pic all day :lol: what's visability like?

A Yerbury
28-02-2005, 07:03 PM
fine, as I said I always life saver around town etc so the mirror is just there as a back up, all mirrors will have blind spots and some lids dont have the best visibility, as long as you can master the quick over the shoulder check you should be fine. waiting all day indeed!
Alex.

Albie
28-02-2005, 07:06 PM
Looks good there Yerbs. :cool:

A Yerbury
28-02-2005, 07:07 PM
ta duckie.....

Dave Pearson
28-02-2005, 07:44 PM
I tried this but found it a problem. In the UK the mirror is on the right which is the throttle hand, and I found that there wasn't a satisfactory position in which to place the mirror without inadvertantly adjusting it every time I gunned it.
I suppose it might have something to do with the standard clip-ons on the S4, so I would be interested to hear if someone has tried it on the right with standard bars, as I am considering changing the top yoke so that I can fit standard bars to my S4.

Didge
28-02-2005, 09:54 PM
If not, I'm gonna go for some carbon fibre ovalish mirrors but looking at the ducati store they are £85+VAT EACH :eek: !!! :D

CARBON FIBRE???? NOOOOOOO!!!!!
Nice polished alloy or black anodised, but not carbon fibre! I hate bloody carbon fibre. I feel sick...........oh dear......

steviej
28-02-2005, 10:17 PM
Yep, the right hand one on Il Monstro used to start moving about at 'HIGH' speed but if you roughen the 'Ball & Socket' parts of the assembly with some emerycloth it appears to do the trick................ ;) :cool:

Chappers
01-03-2005, 04:19 PM
CARBON FIBRE???? NOOOOOOO!!!!!
Nice polished alloy or black anodised, but not carbon fibre! I hate bloody carbon fibre. I feel sick...........oh dear......

What's wrong with carbon fibre, most of my bits on my bike are carbon fibre?! :(

Although I do like the anodised black stuff but it's pricey isn't it? :confused:

Anyway, I've just bought myself some black Motrax bar end mirrors from Mission in CMK for £29.99, gonna try the Yerbury style me thinks :rolleyes:

A Yerbury
01-03-2005, 05:08 PM
anodised is fine but cheap anodises are...well, worse than CF. CF used sparingly is lovely stuff. the mirrors are great, just got back, good vision, easy to adjust. held in by three points, a smudge of silicon as ped says should help.

The Kevlar Kid
01-03-2005, 05:12 PM
Out of interest, what do you do with the holes left by the old mirrors in the clamps?????

Not that I need to know (just got a set of black Road Racing ones) but just interested......

A Yerbury
01-03-2005, 05:15 PM
flip the bracket over so that the threaded side points down towards lucifer and hellfire.