PDA

View Full Version : carb icicng-final word..

A Yerbury
26-02-2005, 04:08 PM
here is some info for those new to this irksome situation.....I have been on the silky pro for a few seasons but now cant find any in france..bah..wynns make something similar. Anyway its a good read if you like that sort of thing, at least I now know why icing happens above freezing temps which was a puzzle before.
http://www.silkoleneoil.com/techtip7.htm

Zimbo
26-02-2005, 04:59 PM
I've been using the Wynns stuff as it's available in Halfords, it seems to cure carb icing ok! Been out today, f**king freezing, 10 mile run on the motorway at 100, no problems there or back. Before I used it I'd have been stop starting all the way ....

DesmoDog
26-02-2005, 06:26 PM
Not so sure myself - mines still coughing, although I think that might be more to do with other problems.

spacemonkey
27-02-2005, 09:39 AM
Alex, I've not tried it (because my bike is 120 miles away) but I'm fairly sure that Silky Pro FST is simply Isopropyl alcohol (Propan2ol) but in a mega expensive plastic bottle. If you're feeling brave then a trip to a pharmacia (yes, I know that's Spanish, not French...) with a bloody accurate translation could prove a good idea? I would think start with 180mls then if all is well then go up to whatever strenght you tried with FST...

A Yerbury
27-02-2005, 11:35 AM
it smells like it, thats rubbing alcohol no?

stef
27-02-2005, 02:31 PM
you should be able to find some al.. dont know where, as i am a bit out of touch with this stuff (too long over here).
but i remember having some at the familly home about 10-12 yrs ago. that's stuff was designed to clean carbs and generally improve the runing of the engine. it wasnt called the same know..it was EX..something, or something..EX. small white bottle with blue and red sticker.. can i be anymore vague ?
I am sure a good 'norauto' would know about it.

A Yerbury
27-02-2005, 02:46 PM
wynns do this petrol plus stuff which is the same ish

Lost Again
01-03-2005, 12:16 PM
the small white bottle sounds like it could be redex your thinking of. not bad stuff to chuck in ur tank every now and then, or straight in the carbs if you're feeling fruity.

nik_the_brief
01-03-2005, 05:16 PM
The only ingredient stated on the side of the bottle is isopropyl so you may well be right Space!

A Yerbury
01-03-2005, 05:20 PM
he is, and one could sprinkle any leftovers on their golden grahams?

spacemonkey
01-03-2005, 08:54 PM
As always, an armed monkey shows us the way...

Didge
11-03-2005, 07:45 AM
It def. has a strong smell of isopropyl alcohol.
I should know, because I've use it for years to clean tape recorder heads etc.
It must have a few other ingredients tho', I would have thought. I can't check the ingredients on my bottle, because P&H stuck a bloody great price label over it. Why do shops do that?

DesmoDog
11-03-2005, 07:59 AM
Who are P&H - I can't find this bloody Pro FST anywhere. Our local Duc dealer claims he had some, once.

A Yerbury
11-03-2005, 08:37 AM
I just nabbed -hey I'm a geezer!!!- some wynns injector stuff, they don't do the petrol plus over here but according to a like rilly rilly brainy dude? on the phone? Its the same kind of stuff.....325ml for 70 litres. whats the monster tank again? 12? 15? I would have a look but one can neither be arsed right now.
toodles.