PDA

View Full Version : Engine cut out.....

bill_ecosse
24-02-2005, 07:12 PM
When driving my 96' m750 around i find that after giving her a bit of a blast when i get to a set of trafic lights or have to stop for any reason the bike cuts out when i fully release the throttle.
Is this down to the engine speed and if so how do i speed her up or could it be something else.....?

Cheers

Bill

A Yerbury
24-02-2005, 07:19 PM
idle speed is cross screw between the carbs, clockwise for higher.. it that or carb icing..

gary tompkins
24-02-2005, 08:31 PM
Has it been doing it for awhile - or just since the cold weather has arrived?

If it's the latter I would guess at carb icing too - especially as you hail from Scotland

bill_ecosse
25-02-2005, 07:07 PM
i've only owned bike for 2 months so can't say whether this was happening before cold weather kicked in.
Thought it may be just the type of bike that you need to keep the revs up while stopped..... (is there any truth in this?)
Only driven it in warmish (it is Scotland) days so wouldn't think it could be carb icing.
If it's just the speed of the engine which needs sorted, how much of a turn will it require.......?

Thanks again

Bill

gary tompkins
25-02-2005, 08:04 PM
Do you know the bikes service history - it could need a proper tune up etc..

Other than that try chucking a bit of Silkolene FST pro fuel additive in the tank. If it is carb icing then it should sort it out, and save a lot of pointless faffing around ;)

Rockhopper
26-02-2005, 08:23 AM
Our M600 did exactly the same thing. Afte much searching and lots of money spent it turned out to be the exhaust valve clearances. Runs like a dream now.

CK & AK
26-02-2005, 08:40 AM
Bill, I couldnt help noticing your name!!

you aren't by any chance the guy who I have been purchasing large numbers of framed prints from, at Ecosse over the last 18 months or so? :confused:
I used to deal with Joy on the phone before she left, & 'Bill' when she was away.

If not, forget my ramblings.

CK from NHP :)

nik_the_brief
26-02-2005, 07:55 PM
Our M600 did exactly the same thing. Afte much searching and lots of money spent it turned out to be the exhaust valve clearances. Runs like a dream now.

Mine too!

Brought it back from Ducati Ashford this evening. Valve clearances sorted and I no longer have to sit at the traffic lights blipping the throttle like a boy racer to keep the bastard ticking over. Cost me a shagging fortune mind! Probably to pay for the mechanics training course in Bologna that kept them from touching my bike til Thursday!! :rolleyes:

Thought it was the carbs, idle jet or summat after seeking words of wisdom eleswhere here.

I highly recommend that you at least get them checked out, mine were apparently "right tight". Apparently they should be checked and adjusted, if necessary, every 6,000 miles. :eek:

Flip
26-02-2005, 11:32 PM
..if you go by the old 'book' they should be checked and adjusted every 3800 miles (yes really) but to keep up with the Japanese Ducati have 'extended' their service intervals....

...You pays ya money...etc...etc ..etc...

bill_ecosse
07-03-2005, 07:06 PM
Went to Ducati garage in Glasgow and explained the problem, they decided that the bike needed 'hotter plugs?'. They put new plugs in and i have to admit the bike ran like a dream for the rest of that day and the next. However, on the 3rd day i was back to square one and again having to blip the throttle.
Any ideas as what to do next?

Cheers

Bill

Elmo
07-03-2005, 07:23 PM
Have a look at this http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=11049