PDA

View Full Version : speedos..

A Yerbury
20-02-2005, 07:45 PM
german trunks aside has anyone tried an aftermarket speedo? my ex put a small chrome one on a radian yrs ago and I am thinking of making the "ididots guide to sidestand warning bulbs" a little bit more discreet, small chrome speedo, then a small box with some essential leds.
thank you.
Alex.
ps hijack this thread and die.

Banshee
20-02-2005, 07:49 PM
The man on the TV said its going to be -10 and loads of snow. ;)

Duncan
20-02-2005, 07:54 PM
The man on the TV said its going to be -10 and loads of snow. ;)

And Im off to Dublin Banshee where the Guinness is great this time of year

Banshee
20-02-2005, 07:58 PM
Temple Bar, mmmmm. I had a good 3 in a bed there, forgrt the other 2 blokes names, fits Patrick gag cummin up..... :p

spacemonkey
20-02-2005, 08:00 PM
Alex - shouldn't be too hard for a man of infinite ability such as yourself.

ps, my Guinea pig's claws need clipping. Anyone else have this problem?

Mand
20-02-2005, 08:06 PM
You are indeed a technical genius and I am sure you will solve this problem, however, me being of a small brain and blonde hair am no help whatsoever. Can any recommend a decent hand cream, my nails are beginning to flake.

fatbloke
20-02-2005, 08:10 PM
cant help thinking mr yerbury has started this thread just to see how many
hijack it
when was the last time he asked a techy question?

spacemonkey
20-02-2005, 08:11 PM
Can any recommend a decent hand cream, my nails are beginning to flake.

Try olive oil. Natural and it will keep impoverished olive farmers like moiself in pennies.

Banshee
20-02-2005, 08:12 PM
my wife uses atrixo, i swear by jiz. ;)

Mand
20-02-2005, 08:15 PM
Try olive oil. Natural and it will keep impoverished olive farmers like moiself in pennies.

Yes good advice, I like your thinking. I would be a little worried that I may drop cups in the kitchen whilst I am being a slave to the family. Ahh well, a small price to pay for soft hands and beautiful nails.

BANSHEE - YOU ARE A TRULY REVOLTING MAN!!!!!

stef
20-02-2005, 08:18 PM
second time being a pedentic arse today, but it's idiot's guide, even. (obvious typo in your original post)
I looked briefly into that, because it is also my intention to get rid of the oem speedo/dash.
i saw someone from belgium who had a speedo mounted on an aluminium plate, and some custom lights. he made a resin cast to hide the back of it.
that page is somewhere on the net, begging to be rediscovered

Albie
20-02-2005, 08:21 PM
Do you want a mechanical speedo Yerbs or perhaps good digital Bicycle one. Dont larf either :D

JMo
20-02-2005, 08:43 PM
Al, baby...

I have a small (50mm dia.) cable driven chrome speedo on the XR - they come with white or black faces, and are backlit - I got mine from my local bike shop, but I think they are in the M&P catalogue (and on-line I imagine), and other such places (Busters?) - around the £30 mark... they also do a smaller (30mm) version too I believe.

Best save your Penny's eh? x

xxx

Julie
21-02-2005, 07:42 AM
Blimey its snowing here!
Has anyone else got snow?

Banshee
21-02-2005, 07:52 AM
I don't think i like the sound of it. :lol:

gary tompkins
21-02-2005, 09:32 AM
german trunks aside has anyone tried an aftermarket speedo? my ex put a small chrome one on a radian yrs ago and I am thinking of making the "ididots guide to sidestand warning bulbs" a little bit more discreet, small chrome speedo, then a small box with some essential leds.
thank you.
Alex.
ps hijack this thread and die.

I thought you got a second hand KPH speedo off Simon (marchesini) a while ago, hence the "marchesini top bloke,geeza, banana..etc" post you bunged up a few days back :confused:

Anyway - does anyone know much about Ming dynasty pottery, I'm looking for a couple of antique take-away holders for me Beef Chop Suey & Egg Fu Yung :D

Banshee
21-02-2005, 09:41 AM
I tend to nick what i need in that department from the Lee Garden, the Ruby has some nice stuff but ive started my set now, only need one more bowl and a little chopstick stand..... :D

ive broke the bleedin screw on my radiator in the bathroom, any ideas? :rolleyes:

slob
21-02-2005, 09:43 AM
My experience of custom mini speedos is that they tend to be cheap(nasty), under-damped units that suffer from wild needle flicker, causing me to doubt their overall accuracy although I've never known an MOT tester notice.
I'm sure JMo can tell you if they're any better these days.
With LEDs you'll probably want a ballast resistor on each one, to limit current, depending on original bulb rating. If you use presets(small varible resisors) in the box you'll be able to adjust brightness, which is usefull if you have more than one colour LED, as the percieved brightness of different colours varies for the same rating. Is there 'Le Maplin' near you?

A Yerbury
21-02-2005, 09:57 AM
jeez you guys....I did get the one from simon and have swapped it, the thing is I also have to change the lamp (which I have also done)and now without the screen it looks a bit clunky up there? -pay attention terry as both these subjects have cropped up recently as have the question of forks, bring your chubby mitts over for a spanking- I will keep the speedo for the paperwork, and I should be able to get an aftermarket kph one no problem..My problem is that the dash is big, ugly
and well, its F**** big and ugly! I emailed PD about this and he showed me a few nice examples -oo err- what I was driving at really is the actual drive spindle, are they universal, could I just attach a clock? unfortunately I dont have any of this years catalogues to hand- or would I need to replace the cable and drive mecahanism?
Alex.
ps. feel free to resume the nonsense.
pps. thank you Jen, as always a beacon of intellect, knowledge and beauty amongst the mire and the madness

A Yerbury
21-02-2005, 09:58 AM
oh and do dogs have lips?

slob
21-02-2005, 10:20 AM
http://www.ane-shop.co.uk/prod/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2587&osCsid=ec85635b5ebf23046eebbc95c9043cc7

this lists 60kph=1400rpm, so you'd have to turn your wheel, see how many turns of the cable you got, to work out the gear ratio and calculate your front tyre's circumference etc. etc.

A Yerbury
21-02-2005, 10:32 AM
thanks. I have only really noticed the dash since pulling the dna looky like thing off, as yo can see. the small circle is where a clock would look nicer. oh how "nice".
yours,
Al nicely.
ps yes that is marchesini s clock hence th 200 on it.

slob
21-02-2005, 10:38 AM
Consider the cable-run carefully, with the speedo centrally mounted the cable may have to make some vicious bends to clear the headlamp shell.
In the mean time amuse yourself with this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7135441836
if you have time.

Bob Dixon
21-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Well Yerbs,
I guess it all depends on whether you are running a 2000 model year or the 2000 and a half model year facelift interim model speedo gearbox drive, in which case you'll need a 40% reduction gear on the sun and planet system and you`ll also want a half speed layshaft conversion. Oh, and you'll need to change your cams because your speedo will be reading 7% optimistic at anthing over 160mph, or 80mph if you are on the straight 2000 model year drive with the titanium planetary gear. Nobbsport do a nice carbon version if you're interested.
Pre 2000 model year bikes use those clicky things which drive a tab on the speedo drive, hot tip for these is to fit a second clicky thing at exactly 180 degrees to the first. Hey presto your Monnie will go twice as fast! S'easy when you know how.
Bob
When you change the cams don`t forget to alter the timing and jet up to suit.

A Yerbury
21-02-2005, 10:54 AM
surely the 12% leeway expectant flux from the serotonin racing cams should take this into account Bob? If not then the reverse polarity coil bypass units (1 through 9) should support these paramaters? you've got me worried now you bad bad man. "Terry! he's doing it again...!"

Bob Dixon
21-02-2005, 11:08 AM
Yerbs,

Surely you must know that the serotonin cams are equiped with Berillium shieded transfer ports which will completely negate the reverse polarity on your loom, even if it didn`t the Hall effect would very quickly be picked up and nullified by the relays on port 10 to 13.
Bob
PS.Don`t forget to fit a new condenser when you change your points.

stef
21-02-2005, 11:32 AM
http://comptetours.free.fr/mostro/mecanique.php?mecaId=3
This is the one Al,
you will find everything you need, hopefully. if you need translating, give me a shout. i dont know where he is from, but he is on your side of the channel.
he's got a pretty complete website.

Mand
21-02-2005, 01:22 PM
oh and do dogs have lips?

Yes my dog has black lips - handsome devil he is!

Now the next question is, can you buy dog cosmetics?

A Yerbury
21-02-2005, 01:41 PM
why, do you need some lip gloss!? ahahahaha.. ha....-d'ya see what I done there!? she asked for dog cosmetics and so I said!...oh nevermind.
Alex.
ps. only a jokin, I happen to think mandy that you are a bit of a "very lovely lady"

slob
21-02-2005, 01:42 PM
Now the next question is, can you buy dog cosmetics?
...make sure they're labelled 'Not tested on humans'.

DesmoDog
21-02-2005, 01:51 PM
C'est manifique! I love that home made speedo jobby only I'd have the idiot lights in a nice symetry over the top of the dial. Very nice, where's my good wife, she speaks French.

Banshee
21-02-2005, 02:30 PM
I like Mand to :rolleyes:

Mand
21-02-2005, 02:34 PM
why, do you need some lip gloss!? ahahahaha.. ha....-d'ya see what I done there!? she asked for dog cosmetics and so I said!...oh nevermind.
Alex.
ps. only a jokin, I happen to think mandy that you are a bit of a "very lovely lady"

Awww Alexander, now don't make me blush!

Now you carry on and get your speedo sorted, I'm beginning to feel guilty about hijacking your thread.

A Yerbury
21-02-2005, 02:38 PM
Ill lookinto that stef, thats perfect, fits monster clock too. merci cest tres aimable a vous etc

A Yerbury
21-02-2005, 03:24 PM
I don't feel guilty about wanting to hijack your threads!..................-fnaar..he's done it again! thread as in "clothes"...nevermind.

spacemonkey
21-02-2005, 06:22 PM
So, umm... if you decide to dispose of the kph standard speedo send it my way as I'll need one soon, too. Or if anyone else has one???

DesmoDog
22-02-2005, 08:34 AM
One on fleabay going cheap at the mo Space. Don't have linky, sorry.

A Yerbury
22-02-2005, 08:53 AM
will do space, I would have thought that the spaniards were a tad more relaxed as regards these things? I need french plates for fully comp cover.
should I go for a discreet cafe racer job then they have yr name on them.

spacemonkey
22-02-2005, 08:02 PM
Muchas gracias!

Lost Again
01-03-2005, 09:52 AM
if u want a nice front end just get rid of it all. junked the standars headlight, speedo, warming lights and indicators on mine. got a twin chrome spotlight jobby (soon to change, bit common now) and a digi mountain bike style speedo on the bar, means you can do away with the ugly cable! no warning lights as yet but busy working on a little stainless box (about 75x40mm) to put some LED's in. either that or some LED's in the little plastic ignition surround. remember, less is more! (maybe)

A Yerbury
01-03-2005, 10:17 AM
how does the digi speedo attach? the only idiot lights worth keeping are the neutral and fuel really. I am intrigued! plz post a pic if possible as that sounds mighty fine.

CraigMac
01-03-2005, 10:42 AM
Alex,
Bob Dixon knows quite a lot about digital speedos. It might be worth sending him a PM. Im sure he wont mind helping out.
Regards
Craig.

A Yerbury
01-03-2005, 10:44 AM
hmm I am supposed to be ignoring him......he knows more about young athletic men wearing speedos surely?!

CraigMac
01-03-2005, 10:55 AM
Im ignoring everyone including your good self and Mr Dixon, But seriously, Bob Manufactures some very high spec, recumbant cycles and fits a lot of high tech kit to them......lighting, digital speedos and the like.
Im sure he will point you in the right direction......
Now back to ignoring everyone.....

Lost Again
01-03-2005, 12:06 PM
I'll try and get a pic sorted by the end of the week if i have time. the speedos a sigma sport jobby, got mine from local shop but i think m&p do them. the speedo just sits a on a little cradle which holds on2 the bar with a heavy duty rubber band thing, sounds dodgy i kno but it looks quite neat. then all you've got is a thin wire running down right hand leg to a magnetic pick up and a small magnet epoxyed...epoxied.. stuck to the wheel.

marchesini
01-03-2005, 01:22 PM
the speedos a sigma sport jobby, got mine from local shop but i think m&p do them. the speedo just sits a on a little cradle which holds on2 the bar with a heavy duty rubber band thing, sounds dodgy i kno but it looks quite neat.

Did the same on mine but kept the main speedo. Also does cool stuff like top speed, average speed, trip distance etc. I also bought a small green light that works with it as the speedo is not illuminated at all - clips onto the handlebars I think.

Anyway, small pic here (let the page load first - takes a little while) - in the middle of the bottom row:

linky here (http://www.simonvicki.co.uk/wheels_pages/_s4_pages/S4_stage_2.html)

My speedo originally had 'SPORT' printed on the top of the speedo but it simply scratched off - i think it was about £25.00. I'll most probably get another one for my new bike but interested in alternatives just for a change.

HTH

best regards

simon

JMo
01-03-2005, 04:34 PM
the only idiot lights worth keeping are the neutral and fuel really.

Don't know about our French neighbours, but in the UK the DOT require you to have a high-beam warning light fitted, if you have a high beam on your bike. Oil light might be a good idea too...

Personally, every crash-bashed streetfighter I've seen has a mountainbike LCD speedo fitted, and it just adds to the shonkyness I'm my opinion... and is not really the 'Cafe' look you are after surely? That said, Trail Tech do a quite elaboarate LCD dash in silver, but it is around £80, and you can get a billet surround for it too - although they may not do a correctly spaced one for the Monster handlebar clamps - best check with them...

Personally I'd go for a pair of chrome mini speedos (each mounted on the handlebar clamps) - and remove the guts of one and replace the face with an alloy plate machined to fit the idiot lights in - Slob is right, the speedo needle can wobble a bit at higher speeds on these aftermarket speedos, but we're talking style here aren't we?!

xxx

A Yerbury
01-03-2005, 04:55 PM
thats the thing Jen the digi ones do look incongruous and space age in a plastic not fantastic way. good point about the high beam, although see one of todays other nods for info on that....oil presure consists of have gaskets gone? and how does the window look? P Dave has a pictire that illustrates what I'm after perfectly. In my haste to agree with you I didnt read your entire post....foolish boy. What are these mini speedos you refer to, I know the syle Im just after where, how much and looks like what?

thanks.

A Yerbury
01-03-2005, 05:04 PM
In fact the more I think about it the better it seems? I could cut and use the same multi connector for the lights, drill a bit of plate...hmm, by jingo! I think thats the one! thanks. You are as wise as you are delectable.
AY.X

crust
01-03-2005, 05:20 PM
One thing to ponder before splashing the cash

I've got one of those trailtech speedos on my XR400. Its got no internal illumination, sure, ok if you press the button it lights up for 5 seconds. Its a PITA though when a coppers following you and you dont want to be pressing buttons. The other thing is they run on a watch battery which dosent last that long.

There's a new version due out with proper internal lighting, not sure if its out yet.

Most of the pushbike speedos dont have internal lighting either. You can buy external lights for them. Sort of, light on a bendy stick type things.

:) Crust

JMo
01-03-2005, 05:20 PM
Al - try www.highwayhawk.com (or pages 142/143 if you can lay your hands on a vol.8 catalogue) - it is a total cruiser-fest, but they do have a whole bunch of this sort of speedo - infact they do a 61mm diameter one with four idiot lights built in, and also a 48mm one with 3 idiot lights (hi beam, indicators and neutral)...

However, if you wanted to go for a pair (which would look better balanced in my opinion) and modify one for your own lights/wiring - the basic speedo is about £30 I believe...

Happy shopping!

xxx

A Yerbury
01-03-2005, 05:26 PM
champion as they say. the only other question is re: the actual speedo driver cable? are these fairly universal in design shape and thread wise?
Thanks again, I shall refill my glass, adjust Mr Ray Ban and enjoy the chrome cruise fest.
AY.X

JMo
01-03-2005, 05:39 PM
champion as they say. the only other question is re: the actual speedo driver cable? are these fairly universal in design shape and thread wise?

I think these days most speedo cables are the same as the Jap bikes use - a square drive wire and a 12mm (ish) nut? - nearly all Jap bikes use the same gearing these days too, although when I bought mine, they did do an alternative (for some obscure Yamaha or something) - best check with them that it's the same for Ducati's before you order... dude x

xxx

A Yerbury
01-03-2005, 05:53 PM
Will do. passion for chrome indeed....
A "lone wolf" Y

DesmoDog
01-03-2005, 08:06 PM
Personally I'd go for a pair of chrome mini speedos (each mounted on the handlebar clamps) - and remove the guts of one and replace the face with an alloy plate machined to fit the idiot lights in

xxx

NOW THAT, I like, very much. Good thinking Jen