PDA

View Full Version : Battery Overflowing?

jrpdark
18-02-2005, 03:45 PM
Why would a new battery leak out of the overflow pipe if the levels were OK? Could it be a problem with the regulator/rectifier? Bike is 94 M900.

Cheers

James

stef
18-02-2005, 05:04 PM
no expert, but i would think of over heating would be one..
i guess it happens under normal operation, which is why there is an overflow pipe on the bike.

Garry Hogan
18-02-2005, 07:00 PM
When you say leaking, how much 'stuff' is coming out of the pipe? I looked at my battery and the pipe that comes from it is to vent the gasses present during normal battery usage! If fluid is coming out, then I'd say that your battery is either overfilled with acid or it's being 'boiled by a dying/duff regulator :eek: Stick a voltage meter across the battery terminals to see what voltage is there with the engine not running, then do the same with the engine running. You should get readings of approx 12/12.5 Volts and 13/13.5 Volts respectively. Much more than the last figure and the regulator could be suspect :(

jrpdark
03-03-2005, 02:49 PM
Thanks chaps - that's very helpful. Will check the voltages across the battery.

Cheers

James

Zimbo
03-03-2005, 07:46 PM
Most likely a regulator / rectifier problem, causeing the alternator to overcharge the battery. Check the voltage with the engine running and increase the revs, see if the voltage is stable at around 13 - 14 volts. If it increases with engine speed to 15 or 16 volts the regulator is broken ...

bod
03-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Yep agree with above if you aint got a voltmeter,does your headlamp look brighter than usual(or had bulbs blowing).
My 1st point of call would be rectifier, do it soon if it is the case ,or you will boil your battery dry!

Albie
03-03-2005, 10:13 PM
Whatever you do keep that checked. Makes a mess of you paintwork and casings if the pipe not connected or your battery splits. :eek: :eek: