PDA

View Full Version : noisy chain

cerebus
18-02-2005, 11:54 AM
My chain makes a knocking sound when I am travelling slowly (I presume it does it when I travel fast as well, but I can't hear it then)

For example when I get home I turn the bike round and push it backwards into the garage. I hear a knocking sound then and sometimes if I push it forwards as well. Last night I heard it when coasting at about 5mph as well.

I am guessing it is the noise of the chain running over the guide on the top of the swingarm, but as you may have guessed I am no mechanic :)

So is this a case of :

The chain is just slack (I'll check it this weekend anyway)

The rear wheel is misaligned (possible, I have had a puncture repaired, so had the rear wheel off since last service/tyre change)

"They all do that sir" ....do they ?

Old chain/sprockets - 17,000 miles, but with a scottoiler (don't start that one up again) Last time I checked (15,000 miles) the chain and sprockets seemed fine (see note above about mechanical skills)

Something else ? wheel bearings, gears, noises in my head ?

Cerebus of the ticking chain

MotoNik
18-02-2005, 12:15 PM
It would be worth getting the bike up on a paddock stand and spinning the back wheel round - see if there's any tight spots that might be causing the chain to go slack then tight.

Also, as you mention, misalignment of the wheel might cause it.

Might be worth giving it a clean (paraffin and a toothbrush, then rinse with water), and see if that's better. Don't forget to clean around the front sprocket and the wear guides too. Then give it a good lubing and see how it is then.

Nik

Pedro
18-02-2005, 12:17 PM
That's a lot of miles so it may just be knackered.

Ped

Ade
18-02-2005, 12:18 PM
I think I can say that you have answered your own question, with 17,000 miles on a chain. that has got to be some sort of record.
If you grab the chain in the middle of the rear sproket and pull it back wards does it pull up a large / amount of slack from the chain going between the front and rear sprocket. also if you push the chain from the side at the bottom between the front and rear sprokets.
I think you can for safties sake change your chain, youve had your monies worth "oot o that wan"

Try Stuart Spareshack or Nattyboy for prices

rich
18-02-2005, 04:56 PM
Hi there

QUOTE :-The rear wheel is misaligned (possible, I have had a puncture repaired, so had the rear wheel off since last service/tyre change)

When you check the chain/sprockets

Have a look at the spacer in front of the rear sprocket for ware ?
Regards Rich

spacemonkey
18-02-2005, 06:50 PM
Or as a wildcard it might be a knackered wheel bearing....but you'd probably have noticed it if it was.

cerebus
18-02-2005, 09:55 PM
Cheers people.

I thought as I typed it, that 17,000 was probably pushing it a bit for a chain. Doh! Anyway will have a good look at it this weekend, using your handy tips.

Any recommendations on chains? Should I only get Ducati sprockets ?

I'll have a search through the old threads, especially the ones about different sprocket sizes if they're still there.

Cerebus the everlasting

spacemonkey
18-02-2005, 11:05 PM
Eastcote? Near Ruislip????

Suprisingly, I found Daytona Rip Off inc actually had a good price on gold chains and sprockets. Now is a good time to add two teeth to the rear or knock one off the front if you haven't already. I fitted the clip link on the chain then took it to them to fit the soft link at no charge, but i was a regular customer back then when I was a Harefield boy..

Pedro
18-02-2005, 11:45 PM
Busters were doing Heavy Duty X Ring chain & sprockets sets for around £85 last time i need one.

Ped

spacemonkey
19-02-2005, 08:45 AM
That's about how much I splashed out on a kit from Ruislip Daytona 2 years back.

cerebus
19-02-2005, 10:36 AM
Well Dogtony just quoted me £108 for chain and sprocket kit, but they didn't have any in stock anyway. I'm presuming this is the Ducati official one though.

Cerebus the missing link

gary tompkins
19-02-2005, 03:04 PM
I don't think it will be the DID heavy duty spec 520 chain that Ducati recommends, last time I priced that up it was £95 alone :eek: As Spacemonkey said it would be a good chance to swap sprockets - Renthal are good value and better quality IMO than the standard steel jobbies. A 42 or 43 tooth rear is supposed to improve performance on 900's, but remember you'll need a longer chain.

Ah... just noticed you have a 600 - so doubt you'll need to play with the final drive ratio?

cerebus
05-03-2005, 09:03 PM
OK latest update and more stupid questions...

I haven't been riding due to work commitments and the bad weather. I checked the chain and sprockets and to me at least they seem OK, right amount of slack, no tight spots. I figure I should probably replace it anyway as I am due for a service at 18,000 miles.

So current sprockets are original 15 tooth front 46 tooth rear, chain is 102 link DID 520VL. I am thinking of getting Renthal replacements, 15t front 48t rear.

Stupid question 1. Do I need to get a longer chain for this or is the 102 link still OK ?

2. I have seen some suppliers selling endless/closed chains. I am presuming apart from the hassle of getting a closed chain on (Haynes says it is possible) this should be better as I will not need to close the chain myself or take it to a dealer ?

Cerebus, working on the chain gang.

Scotty
05-03-2005, 09:28 PM
apparently its more normal to loose a tooth of the front rather than the rear, though i added to the rear for more swing arm clearance

you will need a longer chain

proberlyclosed chain is better
but you will have to get it past the suspension hoop thing on the 600 (am i wrong ?) which means suporting the weight of the rear of the bike from the frame not the swing arm