PDA

View Full Version : Brake & clutch reservoir tops

Mr Cake
16-02-2005, 05:38 PM
Are they any aftermarket one available for the rectangular variety? My stock ones leak all over the place!

Dave

Scotty
16-02-2005, 05:49 PM
yes somewhere

Albie
16-02-2005, 06:05 PM
Are they any aftermarket one available for the rectangular variety? My stock ones leak all over the place!

Dave
Thats not good. Put he screws in then. :D :rolleyes:

A Yerbury
16-02-2005, 06:12 PM
err you have the triangular seals there I hope? most likely those.
Alex.
ps "hello" BTW, anyone named after a pub gets a knighthood in my little black book.

Mr Cake
16-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Haha Cheers Yerbs! I'll check for seals :D

The screws are in almost to the point of rounding them out.

Dave

Penny SlipKnot
16-02-2005, 06:18 PM
well helllllllllloooooo, they are made like that! they go in and flush, but like clever boy says you need the seals there to work properly otherwise you are so over a big barrell.
they are Rubber...hmmmm.

Mr Cake
16-02-2005, 06:22 PM
Well I don't recall slinging the seals when I topped up the fluid last time. In fact I think it was Ducati who last had them open during it's service. Brake/clutch fluid all over tank, fluid strips paint off, charge Ducati for the respray :D

Dave

Penny SlipKnot
16-02-2005, 06:30 PM
ohhh THEY serviced it, They would not be so dumb as to sling the boys leaving you high and dry!?! would they...get them of -easy pussy cat- and have a look.

Byron Kauffman
16-02-2005, 07:33 PM
Are you sure it isnt just fluid getting out the tiny vent hole in the cover side? there is a small rectangle notch in the underside of the MC cover that will let fluid weep out if too full or fluid is on top of the boot. You will see the paint starting to lift at the vent hole and the seam as it wicks along its edge.

If you have them that tight they might be slightly warped. Lay a sheet of very fine wet grade sandpaper on a piece of plate glass. Sand your MC cover bottom by placing it on the now flat sanding surface and lightly working it until you see it is flat. The sealing edge should show the sanding grain consistantly around the whole surface. If you see non sanded areas you know it is not level and sealing. This works for Carb mating surfaces too.

I found that when you repaint the MC covers it is best not to paint the mating surface. The paint will fail very fast and act as a wick to let the fluid eat away the remaiinder of the paint.

A Yerbury
16-02-2005, 07:36 PM
"wicks" what a splendid verb! he's right as usual too.