PDA

View Full Version : Help......

Bruza
14-02-2005, 07:50 AM
Riding in this morning I have a distinct metalic rattle from idle to 3000rpm.

Not sure if my clutch has had it (its been on the way for a while) or if I have no oil...... Trouble is the Oil window is totally white and I can't see.

My left window is clear.... but can I use that for levels?

Final question.... What oil shall I stick in if it is the oil.

Cheers for any answers.

Bruza.

grunter
14-02-2005, 08:09 AM
is for something else setting up belts

Bruza
14-02-2005, 08:55 AM
cool.... cheers Grunt

Tigerlily
14-02-2005, 08:56 AM
If it's a lack of oil then the warning light should come on (if it works).

Is your bike due for a service?

Bruza
14-02-2005, 09:01 AM
doh!.... good point!!

Nope had it's major one in Oct. so all is well.

I gave it a huge clean yesterday... probably washed off all the muck that was dampening the noise!!

Tigerlily
14-02-2005, 09:23 AM
I'd be inclined to think it's your clutch then, if it's been going for a while it's probably worth getting it looked at :)

See what happens when you treat them nice and clean them?! .........Some bikes are just ungrateful :rolleyes: :lol:

Rockhopper
14-02-2005, 09:39 AM
I think the oil light measures pressure rather then level so by the time it comes on all the oil is long gone! You should be able to see oil splashing around in the left hand window when the motor is running but there should be none when its off.
Seriously, you should be checking the level weekly, that fact it had a service a few months ago doesnt make any difference. Running out of oil for whatever reason will destroy your engine. Bikes are not like cars, you need to keep an eye on things in between services. If the oil window is white then you need a 40 mile ride to get the oil hot enough to burn off the water in it.

Tigerlily
14-02-2005, 10:24 AM
:o It's a good job somebody knows what they're talking about!

Rockhopper
14-02-2005, 10:29 AM
Oh and to tell if its the clutch simply pull the clutch lever in. If the noise goes away or becomes much less then its the clutch, if the noise stays the same (ish) then its something else, possibly the alternator nut (very serious!!)

I think you need to get the bike to someone who knows fairly soon.

JMo
14-02-2005, 10:29 AM
Rockhopper - on Monsters, the oil level should be visable between the upper and lower markers on the side of the crankcase next to the inspection window whether the engine is hot or cold.

To clear the white clouding, run the engine until the oil is warm, then leave the oil cap off overnight, that will clear the condensation - obviously do this with the bike in a garage, and not outside in the cold x

xxx

Rockhopper
14-02-2005, 11:04 AM
No, you are wrong. As you are sitting on the bike there should be no oil in the left hand window with the motor off, you should be able to see it splashing around when the engine is running. The oil level window is on the right hand side and as you say, with the bike upright then it should be between the lines.

A Yerbury
14-02-2005, 11:21 AM
on the subject of oil does anyone go fo the 5w- stuff? haynes states this but Ive always used 10?

Sarah
14-02-2005, 11:30 AM
No, you are wrong. As you are sitting on the bike there should be no oil in the left hand window with the motor off, you should be able to see it splashing around when the engine is running. The oil level window is on the right hand side and as you say, with the bike upright then it should be between the lines.

spot on :)

Bruza
14-02-2005, 11:40 AM
Thanks all....

I ride 32 miles every day and can never get rid of the condensation. Jmo... I'll leave the oil cap off tonight and see if that helps (don't worry, she'll be in the garage.)

What oil do peeps use?? Can you mix synthetic with natural?

Cheers

Thicko

Rockhopper
14-02-2005, 12:03 PM
Best not to mix oil like that unless its an emergency. Does the bike have an oil cooler? Might be worth covering some of it up in the cold weather just to help the oil get a bit hotter. Both our bikes use shell advance fully synth 15-40 i think it is.

JMo
14-02-2005, 12:04 PM
No, you are wrong.

Excuse me?

I'm not wrong - the oil inspection window in the one on the right hand side of the engine (with the markers) - "oil splashing around" in the left hand window is hardly and accurate way to check the level is it?

Ahem.

xxx

Rockhopper
14-02-2005, 12:31 PM
Your post implied that i was giving incorrect information. The original post said the right hand window was misted up and could she use the left hand window to check the level instead. I was simply telling her what you should see in that window. If you can't see splashing oil then you've run out - simple as that but i would never suggest that an good way to check the level.

Perhaps i was too quick to say that you were wrong though.

JMo
14-02-2005, 01:21 PM
Fair enough RH - I simply presumed you knew I was talking about the RH crankcase window (the oil level inspection window) in my inital post, whereas I see you were refering to the left hand window...

Glad we clarified it - I wouldn't want any punters getting confused by our cross-perposes (although why they can't just read the handbook is beyond me x)

xxx

Rockhopper
14-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Well said that man!

Bruza
14-02-2005, 02:51 PM
I dunno Jen....

RH has me as a she and thee as a he....

Charmed!

Thanks to all for the comments.

Bruza

Shauns4
14-02-2005, 04:47 PM
is the rattle under present during acceleration or when reving the bike stood still?? If the rattle is the same under loaded or un-loaded conditions then it probably isn't the clutch.

if you cannot get the oil to go clear after a long run then you may water in the oil, is the water level low on the expansion tank or have you had to top it up recently?

gary tompkins
14-02-2005, 05:01 PM
Bruza's bike is air cooled (900ie) so the water in the oil is from condensation, which you will never get rid of on a 15 mile journey in this weather. A run of 50-60 miles at higher speeds should shift it, but if it's really bad an oil change may help.

As for the mystery rattle I agree that a trip to a (good) dealer ASAP for a 2nd opinion would be a sound idea.