PDA

View Full Version : wrong tool's for the job

Scotty
13-02-2005, 08:51 PM
reet then the skin flint that i am,
having hacksawed filed and bray's wi hammer i managed to shorten new chain to correct length with only 3 lasserations, but im now struggeling to rivit the new link in place top plate wont seem to sit down before i dgo mental with the hammer again (was gona use a ballbearing to bent the rivit over smoothly)

err the question what was it hummmm

uh why wont plate sit properly there not sided are they ?

slob
13-02-2005, 09:43 PM
If you don't have the right tool for this one, you could have safety problems.
Sounds as though the o-rings are not compressed enough to allow you to rivet it properly. Even if they where, what are you hamering against with your ball bearing?
Best bet would be to borrow a chain tool from someone or get a screw-up splitlink from a bike-shop.
e.g. http://www.mandp.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=536591
...but one to suit whatever chain type you have obviously.

fatbloke
13-02-2005, 10:01 PM
Get it done properly chains can and do break
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/images/chain.jpg
oh how quickly they forget :o

Scotty
13-02-2005, 10:04 PM
hey thats a dealer's interfearing if you ask me like but perhaps you do have a point

norrie
14-02-2005, 11:16 AM
Take the chain to the dealer.
I'm sure they wont charge you to rivet the link.
You will have to remove the rear wheel to fit the chain and the suspension hoop but at least you know it has been done properly.

Norrie.

JMo
14-02-2005, 11:36 AM
Later bikers like the S4 don't have the suspension U frame of course, so it's even easier to put the chain on already made up - just remember to loop the new chain over the left hand arm of the paddock stand (so it's in position to swap over) before you jack the bike up/remove the wheel...

xxx

Scotty
14-02-2005, 03:02 PM
tadar all done
for the bargin price of £5 :( grrrrr
i guess i shoulda walked the extr4a 5 yards to the main dealer and harassed them some more being such a good customer they mighta done it for free, ho humm.

slob
14-02-2005, 03:04 PM
'tis a small price to pay not to have to dodge a flying chain.

Lost Again
16-02-2005, 12:17 PM
u'd all spend money 2 get sum1 2 rivet a chain?
the last 3 i've done on various bikes involved a hammer, a drift type hitting stick and a mate holding a block o wood against the back of the sprocket. if the links not sitting on the pins properly use molegrips and gradually tighten and reapply until theres enough pin sticking through to smack with the hitty stick. done thousands o miles and the only time a chains ever snapped on me was one that i got a local shop 2 fit. didn't go back there mind.