PDA

View Full Version : Idiots guide to lubeing chain

SAMMYE
13-02-2005, 12:42 PM
Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can give me some guidance as how I should be lubeing the chain? whats best to use? and how often?

Albie
13-02-2005, 12:48 PM
Its best to use a product that may say on the can Chain Lubricant from most motor factors/bike shops. Often the instructions are on the can as to frequency of use.It depends on the mileage you do and conditions of weather to usage. May a squirt every two weeks . :D

SAMMYE
13-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Cheers Albie, just heard about people "cleaning" it first so wasnt sure :rolleyes:

Albie
13-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Oh a major overhaul. Yuk! A lot of posts say clean with paraffin and some use wd40. Some say it eats the O'rings though

slob
13-02-2005, 12:55 PM
Clean, lube and check tension every couple of hundred miles/week. Best done after a ride and left to stand a while(even with 'lo-fling' lubes) Re-lube after heavy rain.
I've started using profi dry lube which I really like.
http://www.mandp.co.uk/list.aspx?tier1=Chains+And+Sprockets&tier2=Chain+lubricators&tier3=Profi
..or, dare I start the argument again, get a Snottoiler (tm).

SAMMYE
13-02-2005, 12:59 PM
If I get a spray where is safest to spray it to get it onto the chain ?

Albie
13-02-2005, 01:01 PM
Clean, lube and check tension every couple of hundred miles/week. Best done after a ride and left to stand a while(even with 'lo-fling' lubes) Re-lube after heavy rain.
I've started using profi dry lube which I really like.
http://www.mandp.co.uk/list.aspx?tier1=Chains+And+Sprockets&tier2=Chain+lubricators&tier3=Profi
..or, dare I start the argument again, get a Snottoiler (tm).
No dont start that eh !!! :D :D :eek:

slob
13-02-2005, 01:30 PM
If I get a spray where is safest to spray it to get it onto the chain ?
I find that, with the bike on a paddock stand, the top of the lower run in front of the rear sprocket allows me to miss the tyre and hit the chain.
Inside is best as the lube will work its way outwards as the chain turns.

SAMMYE
13-02-2005, 01:37 PM
I find that, with the bike on a paddock stand, the top of the lower run in front of the rear sprocket allows me to miss the tyre and hit the chain.
Inside is best as the lube will work its way outwards as the chain turns.

Cheers slob

Shauns4
13-02-2005, 03:07 PM
I use a ceamic chain wax, its white in colour, doesn't fly off and so makes very litte mess as compared to std 'o' ring chain lube.

There are many diffent makes, one is Putoline, my monster has now covered 5000 miles and the chain is fine.

Re-apply every 400 miles or so.

Pedro
13-02-2005, 03:51 PM
At the risk of opening up an old topic, I have to say the Scottoiler is tops!

Fitted one with a new chain, 2,500 miles ago and have't had to adjust it once.It's also easier to wipe to grot off now too.

Ped

Elmo
13-02-2005, 03:58 PM
Ah the scott oiler fitted one to mine Banshee's seems ok but have only done 120 miles with it so far. Pedro what setting do you have your's on? mines on 8 surpose its because the weather is cold making oil thicker

Scotty
13-02-2005, 04:31 PM
scott oiler 'cured' all the stiff links in my chain

Pedro
13-02-2005, 09:24 PM
Ah the scott oiler fitted one to mine Banshee's seems ok but have only done 120 miles with it so far. Pedro what setting do you have your's on? mines on 8 surpose its because the weather is cold making oil thicker

Hi Elmo

I have mine set quite low, 1 or 2 at most but I tend to avoid the winter! It's just enough to keep the chain "wet" with oil. I use the red Scottoil which I think is meant for colder weather as opposed to the green one for normal climates! Might be worth trying the thinner stuff.

Ped

MotoNik
14-02-2005, 12:28 PM
Regarding cleaning the chain - I feel I should mention that under no circumstances should you be tempted to put the bike in gear and run it while it's on the paddock stand. I know someone who was using this method to clean the chain, and it whipped the cleaning rag into the rear sprocket so fast he didn't know what had happened. Next thing you know he's off to hospital to see if they can re-attach the top of his finger... (they couldn't).

Personally, I use paraffin and a toothbrush, and then rinse the chain thoroughly with water afterwards. Having said that, since I fitted a Scottoiler I've not had to clean it. :)

Nik

Scotty
14-02-2005, 02:17 PM
being the king of stupidity i have aften in the past oiled chain with engine runniong in 1st on a paddock stand but i keep the clutch pulled in the drag makes the wheel turn round realy slowly

i was convinced red scottoil was for hot climates (since march 2002 aparently)

The Kevlar Kid
14-02-2005, 02:54 PM
Having said that, since I fitted a Scottoiler I've not had to clean it. :) Nik

Chain should really still be cleaned - Scottoiler or not, it still attracts the dirt etc and turns it into a lovely grinding paste....

Pedro
14-02-2005, 03:49 PM
Chain should really still be cleaned - Scottoiler or not, it still attracts the dirt etc and turns it into a lovely grinding paste....

Good point but I've found that post Scottoiler fitment, it attracts much less dirt.

Ped

slug
14-02-2005, 10:46 PM
Since I fitted one, about 4000 miles ago, I think i have only made a couple of minor adjustments to the chain. Its also much easier to clean (I do this less frequently post Scottoiler) with a rag or washing up brush with a citrus degreaser.

Mine delivers its oil to the front sprocket this seems to have reduced the amount of oil that ends up being flung on to the rear wheel.

slob
15-02-2005, 07:00 AM

Thats what I like about the Profi Dry Lube, it dries to a non-sticky film, so attracts very little dirt.