PDA

View Full Version : Diary of a Race team mechanic

Zimbo
10-02-2005, 06:58 PM
Well, since the UKMOC and it's members have been incredibly supportive and generous in offers of sponsorship and help for Phoenix's DesmoDue entry for this year, I thought you might all perhaps like a series of posts from the team mechanic's perspective, focusing in the main on the bike / modifications etc, problems encountered and how they are overcome, suggestions shared etc.

We started yesterday by wheeling Max out of his shed and parking him on the patio, then sizing him up with a copy of the ACU rule book and race series regulation handbook in out sweaty hands.

Max is a currently fairly standard Monster 600, T reg. He has a K&N filter (standard airbox lid), Dynojet kit (we think) fitted by a previous owner, and a pair of low level stainless ART cans. He also wears a steering damper and has recently had an Ohlins rear shock absorber fitted.
A lot of this will have to change!

First, ACU regs state that a lot of bits have to come off. These include headlight, tail light, horn, sidestand, pillion footpegs, and a few more bits I've forgotten for now.
Then some new bits have to go on. A lower chain guard at the back of the swinging arm to prevent the rider's foot from being caught in the rear sprocket, and a catch tray under the engine capable of holding at least 4 litres. The crancase breather must vent into a 500cc catch tank, and the fuel tank breather into a 250cc catch tank.
We also need to lockwire oil drain and filler plugs etc.
Instruments will be coming off, we need some sort of tacho unit, and to fit nose fairing, manufacture and fit front and side numberboards etc.
Race transponder will need to be fitted.
The ohlins shock is more than up to the job, the forks however need improving (standard Marzochi) with new springs and then damping tuned by adjusting oil weight.
Brakes we're going to leave as they are, they've already got braided hoses, new pads are needed though. Brake fluid to be changed to race spec high boiling point fluid.
Valve clearances need checking and carbs balancing, new fuel filter to be fitted, oil and filter changed using race spec synthetic oil.
More ground clearance is required, so hi level cans and rearsets need obtaining and fitting, and once the open airbox lid is fitted the fueling needs checking.
Bars need changing, they're too high and wide.
We're considering a 674cc big bore kit, which the series regs allow to make the 600 competetive against the 620. If that's fitted we need to run the new barrels and pistons in.
New tyres to be fitted once the series organisers announce which tyre we'll be using.
And all thsi before 22nd March, which is when our first track time is booked for testing and bike setup.

Better get cracking then i suppose ...... :D

Richard_S
10-02-2005, 08:02 PM
will you be releasing a bill oddy style audio book to accompany the series?

On a serious note you’re a talented chap and I wish ya the best with it.

Zimbo
10-02-2005, 08:35 PM
Why thank you :o

I won't be doing ALL the work myself fortunately. Max is going to see Alan Shirley at AJ Racing in a week's time to have new fork springs fitted and fork oil renewed at the right grade, valve clearances set, and general suspension setup for the track. Alan builds all the Ducati BSB engines and race preps many top Ducati race bikes including BSB privateers, so should know what he's doing!! He aslo has Chris Walker's ex race mechanic from Ducati WSB days working with him, so this should enable Lin to say in the padock in an offhand way "well mine was prepped by Chris Walker's engineer" etc :p
Biggest headache at the moment is the underbelly catch tray, I was thinking of fabricating one from aluminium and have drawn out a basic design, but there is one being produced by Sigma Performance for the monster so will look into that as well, it'll save a lot of time although it won't look as good!

Phoenix
10-02-2005, 08:42 PM
Am i glad i just gotta ride it :confused:

Scotty
10-02-2005, 08:53 PM
thers an ex challange s4 catch pan going on ebay at the moment

crust
10-02-2005, 09:02 PM
The belly pan only has to hold half the total oil and coolant.

There's no coolant, so you're looking at a couple of litres.

The DP belly pan has a high lip at the back so would do the job. The motard boys use baking trays or a heat resistant cordura bag, the beely pans neater.

An Imola belly pan would do with a bit of ally either popped in the back or glassed in.

:) Crust

Phoenix
10-02-2005, 09:05 PM
Says 4 litres min in the desmo rule book Si. :confused:

Scotty
10-02-2005, 09:11 PM
humm actually im talking crap ther isnt one on ebay
but there are some crash bars off said ex challange s4

Flip
10-02-2005, 10:50 PM
I have the DP belly pan fitted to my 900 (bought from Spareshack Stu) and it has no drain holes and doubles as a catch tank for the (now defunct) 'Bears' series (amongst others that they qualified for) so am sure it would be o.k. ...Do you want me to fill it will water while it's off the bike to see how much it holds?

Zimbo
11-02-2005, 07:16 AM
If that's no problem Flip it would be great.
Sigma Performance are producing one for the series at £50, which I don't think is too bad, but it's always nice to have an alternative!
The other rule is that the sides should be a minimum of 50mm high. We need to put two 25mm drain holes in the bottom, fitted with rubber bungs, that can be removed to allow water to drain out in wet conditions.

I'd still like to custom make one in aluminium, but by the time you buy the aluminium welding materials etc it would cost almost as much as buying the Sigma one!

NattyBoy
11-02-2005, 08:53 AM
Zimbo

Can you let me know which size of lockwire youd like for max and ill get it sorted..? (im getting it from one of my aerospace distributors at work and they use all sorts of thicknesses on aircraft!)

Cheers
Nat

Zimbo
11-02-2005, 07:47 PM
Most lockwire kits seem to have anything around 0.7 - 0.8mm wire Nat, so either of those would do I guess!! Probably 0.7?

NattyBoy
11-02-2005, 09:21 PM
OK mate..PM me where you want it to go and ill sort it !

Cheers
Nat

Flip
12-02-2005, 05:13 PM
Well, I filled my DP belly pan up with water to see how much it holds and it took the full four litres (although like Crust I thought it only had to hold half the engine's capacity to be legal for racing) with around 10mm to spare at the lowest part. So all looks good for you on that score.

One thing I will say though is that if Sigma are doing them for £50 that's around half the price of the DP in unpainted unpainted glass fibre and £100 less than a carbon one so may be worth thinking about on price alone.

Flip
12-02-2005, 05:23 PM
BTW when you get a chance Lin you need to empty your PM's of donations again ha ha!

queen_gpants
12-02-2005, 05:25 PM
We need to put two 25mm drain holes in the bottom, fitted with rubber bungs, that can be removed to allow water to drain out in wet conditions.

I can help you with the rubber bungs - I used rubber caps for electrical cable casings which have a lip on each side and fit perfectly.

I'll dig them out and send them with the other bits to Lin

Zimbo
12-02-2005, 07:37 PM
Thanks Celeste, all help gratefully accepted!! Also thanks Flip for measuring your bellypan capacity, you're right though, we're on a very tight budget so will be going for the cheapest option!

Just waiting now to get the bike looked over by Alan at A J Racing http://www.ajracing.info/ (top bloke by the way, knows his Ducati race bikes backwards, very helpful and very reasonable on cost, if you need any tuning done give him a call) and he's going to fit the fork springs and do valve clearances, and hopefully fit the race exhaust for us if it's there in time. We've been contemplating whether to go for a full race 2 - 1 system or a set of hi - level DP cans, the 2 - 1 is slightly cheaper and will weigh less so we're going to go for that I think, nothing quite set in stone yet though!
Alan also thinks he can source some rearsets for around £160 ish, so will get him to look into that.
Think I've sourced some aluminium plate to make up a front numberboard / fairing lower and side numberboards, and a catch tray should I decide to make one rather than buy it. We're using the standard monster headlamp fairing, but changing the very heavy mounting arms for fabricated lightweight ones, and I'll make a front numberboard to mate with it, mounting on the headlamp brackets, and extending sideways a little to improve airflow and allow a little more space for sponsor decals!
Only five and a bit weeks to go before track testing at Donnongton GP circuit, and Lin's away for a week .....

Flip
13-02-2005, 11:16 AM
Zim,

Have sent you a PM about rear sets.

Oh and a bit of weight over the front is a good thing on the Mountain at Cadwell ha ha!

Zimbo
13-02-2005, 05:35 PM
I've thought of that, and instructed Lin to have a boob job to keep the front end down over the mountain :p
(Good job she's away this week)

Next little job, tacho. I'm thinking simple, light, and cheap here. I have in mind a Datatool Revlight at £50 (unless I get an ebay bargain) set so the lights come on sequentially, with the red ones on at 8000 rpm. Anyone got a better idea? She needs one really to act as a shift light, and to assist with fast getaways off the startline.

Zimbo
23-03-2005, 07:27 PM
Time for an update I reckon.
Max the Magnificent bears little resemblance now to his former road going self.
He went to see Alan Shirley at AJR, who fitted the new fork springs supplied by Stuart at Spareshack, tuned the damping with different grades of fork oil, and then refused to take any money for it. Top man!!!
Max was then moved into Lin's front room for a while. Lights, indicators and mirrors soon disappeared, and work was started on the nosecone.
Handlebars removed and clipons fitted, with renthal grips. Footpeg hangers and low level exhausts followed the lights and mirrors into storage, rearsets went on, and a set of high level 105dB carbon oval Sils. Sidestand removed. Brake pads replaced with EBC HH.
Airbox lid and filter replaced by a DP open airbox lid and filter.
Then off to Dave Woods at Aylesbury to be rejetted, valve clearances set, belts etc, and a carbon chain lower guard.
Robsom Racing fitted a new set of Pirelli Diablos, and it's off to Donington for some testing, setting up, and fun :p
Result - Max pulls really well out of corners, forks much much better than before, no ground clearance issues, overall we're very satisfied. Had to reduce rebound damping by two clicks on the Ohlins rear shock as he was running slightly wide out of at least one corner, otherwise all seems spot on!!!
We're looking at going back to standard bars for our next test at Mallory in three weeks, as Lin feels it makes the bike more manouverable and allows her more options regarding lines etc. We need to gear down a little too, so the front 15 tooth sprocket will be changed for a 14.
Next step, lockwire the oil filler and drain caps, oil and filter change using synthetic oil.

slob
24-03-2005, 05:38 AM
...We're looking at going back to standard bars for our next test at Mallory in three weeks, as Lin feels it makes the bike more manouverable...
Jota Bars? if you can find a set cheap somewhere. Possibly a good halfway house between clip-ons and standard, without much weight gain.

Zimbo
17-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Two weeks to go to the first race, so another update!

First, bars - having tried the clipons and standard bars on the track, we're sticking with the standard bars. Any issues with less weight over the front are more than offset by the improved leverage and general manouverability afforded by the wide bars.
Lockwiring now completed. Engine oil filler cap and drain plug are fastened, as is the oil filter (by means of a jubilee clip round the filter, and lockwire to the jubilee clip). Also lockwired the renthal handlebar grips.
Brakes - we've got a second disc, caliper and brake line, and a master cylinder off a 916. As yet untested, but Lin will be running twin discs, which should make quite a difference. She's down on power anyway, as most of the 600s are running big bore kits. she doesn't need to be underbraked as well!
Bellypan - sourced and fitted, looks good! Just need to drill two 25mm holes in it and plug them with rubber bungs to comply with ACU regs.
Nose cone - the standard nosecone fairing has been modified by Lin using a bowl as a mould and a load of fibreglass. The result is excellent! Number fitted as well.
Rear numberboards - we've managed to fit the numbers onto the standard seat cowl, so another result!
Track testing at Cadwell went well, Lin felt comfortable and reasonably fast, and her tyres turned a funny shade of blue on the edges. She found she was all over the back of bigger bikes in the corners, though with two or three times the horsepower they got away on the straights of course. Studying the wear patterns on her rear tyre afterwards I've turned the compression damping down a little on the rear shock.
Further track testing at Mallory in the week again went well, the bike appears fast and smooth, Lin should be able to ride it as fast and hard as she dares without any performance, handling or reliability issues. A small oil leak from the left hand engine casing has been traced to a stripped thread on one of the bolts holding it on, so that's currently being helicoiled.
14 tooth front sprocket has been fitted and makes a difference to the gearing. Retaining plate bolts securely locktighted on - one of the bolts in previously had actually come out, and the plate was held on by one bolt only! Check yours everybody, it could have been nasty had it come loose!

Things to do before race day - not much! Awaiting confirmation on catch tank requirements for crankcase and fuel tank breathers, need to drill holes in bellypan, complete twin disc conversion and test, fit a set of Motrax crash bungs, and I think we're nearly there! Finally a comprehensive check of all fastenings, nuts / bolts, components etc. Also we need to sort out the starter motor solenoid connection, it's starting to play up a little.

A picture of Max at Mallory in current race trim:

http://www.zyworld.com/lindajones/mallory.jpg

claicerrig
17-04-2005, 04:21 PM
Zimbo

Thank you for an excellent report about Lin`s progress :cool:

I knew there was a reason i still keep logging on and this is one fine example of WHY !!!!

Good Luck Lin

I will make 1 race to cheer you on

Clai :D :bunny:

Phoenix
17-04-2005, 05:37 PM
Thanks Clai - See you at Cadwell :)
As Zim says - the bike is almost ready fully now so I can spend the last week polishing :eek:

Other reports can be seen on here http://www.zyworld.com/lindajones/news.htm

Zimbo
05-06-2005, 11:53 AM
Time for another update, now we've got the first couple of races under our belts!
First, Cadwell. All went well on the bike front, we had the suspension well set up and no problems at all. We had previously upgraded the brakes from single to twin disc, changing the standard "coffin" type master cylinder for a 916 unit. A little filing of the lever assembly was required to adjust the span, as Lin has small hands and we needed a fairly short reach. A second stainless brake line supplies a standard Brembo goldline caliper, 40mm bolt centres, bolted to the fork leg (luckily we had the mountings, some 600 forks don't). The brake lines are both fed from the master cylinder through a double banjo bolt. Brake fluid is race spec rather than standard road, and has worked well. This upgrade has definately proved it's worth, as those running single discs at Cadwell found themselves underbraked and lost lever feel as the race progressed, in some cases forcing early retirement due to near total loss of brakes.
Gearing we've found is crucial. We ran Cadwell Woodland circuit on very low gearing, 14/46, as it's very tight and twisty with no long straights. This gearing was the most comfortable for Lin in the many corners, but she was undergeared on the start finish straight as a result. It's all a compromise, and what she lost down the straight she was generall able to make up on the brakes into the hairpin. We finished our weekend well pleased with the bike.

Time for a tyre change. The tyres had done a trackday at Donnington, trackday at Mallory, full test day at Cadwell full circuit, and race day at Cadwell, around 400 miles in total, and we wanted a new set on for Castle Coombe, so a trip to Robsom Racing for fresh rubber and the old set were sold to a UKMOC member for a bargain price as there's loads and loads of road mileage in them, most of the wear being right on the edges!
Next, a trackday at Llandow in South Wales, to scrub the rubber in and give Lin a little track time before Castle Coombe. The day went well, no bike problems, but we did find we had ground clearance issues as Lin has scraped her bellypan on the left hand side, and her high level cans on the right (which impressed evrybody no end!). We decided as part of our pre race prep to raise the ride height front and rear. We then found the rose joints on the rear suspension in a bad way, pretty well siezed and one actually fractured across the thread, so two new tie rod ends were purchased from BSL, and two new pins from Ducati Bristol. Lin also aquired some ride height extensions from Luigi Moto, basically the rose joints screw into these fittings, which them screw into the suspension hoop. Forks were dropped through the clamps as far as they'd go, about 20mm. No opportunity to test before CC, so we'll have to try it and see! Ride height was definately altered though, Lin could no longer get her feet comfortably on the floor!

Zimbo
05-06-2005, 11:54 AM
Off to Castle Coombe, and the first hurdle is Scrutineering at 7.30. The bike passed easily (and they were very thorough, I felt we should have been issued an MOT certificate along with the pass certificate!!!) but the main issue at CC is noise, every single bike is tested with a dB meter and anything over 105dB at 5000 odd rpm is not allowed to race. Lin had bought some dB killers from Spareshack just in case, but as it happens they weren't needed, the meter read 96dB on her Sil high level cans and we passed easily. A quick check of tyre pressures (29 front, 30 rear, for those who are interested) a final nut and bolt check, tape the practice pass to the tank so it doesn't get lost and is easily accessible when needed, and we're ready to go. Gearing has been altered to suit the circuit and we're running 15/46 to start with, and rear shock compression and rebound damping backed off a little to suit the fast bumpy nature of the circuit.

Morning practice next, and Lin came in reporting that the bike was too high at the rear and the steering was uncomfortably quick. No time to do anything before qualifying though, so she had to go straight back out as it was - we wound up the steering damper as high as we dared and off she went. Castle Coombe is fast and very bumpy, and after a couple of laps a problem developed, the bike would misfire and bog down as the throttle was opened out of corners. This was serious, as the over quick steering was causing the bike to try and fling itself off line every time it missed, and Lin was forced to come in without posting a very competitive lap. Starting from the very back of the grid then, but we were far more concerned about our problem. There isn't much time before her first race, as DesmoDue are out in race 2, so we changed the plugs and checked all the connections, but my worry was that it was fuel related. I drained the carbs and checked all the hoses, and out she went for the race. Sadly the problem was still there, and she was forced to retire before it had her off.
We had about three hours before race 2, so set to work immediately. Tank up, battery and coils off, airbox off, and then start on the carbs. Lots to disconnect, fuel lines, breathers, choke cable, throttle cables, and access is poor. Some valueable help from Crust here as he was pressed into service - I've never had to get the carbs out or apart on a monster before!
Once they were off we removed the float bowls and cleaned the jets and bowls, no real problems found though. We then started on the Diaphram / needle assemblies, and here we found our problem - very fine sandy stuff inside the diaphram chambers were causing the needle assemblies to stick in their slides. Much cleaning out and we reassembled it all again, with not too much time to spare. I was also able to remove the ride height extensions from the rear suspension and raise the forks in their clamps, so Lin went out for race 2 with suspension geometry almost back to standard, with front and back about 5mm higher than they were originally.
The bike ran fine and handling was back to normal, which was a huge relief. Lin came in comprehensively last, as she'd had no track experience with less than 10 laps in total completed and the others were much more used to the circuit, but we were satisfied with our finish! Our gearing was also a little tall, our first chance to properly test it, and we'd have been better off on 14/44 I think. We are now left only with an uneven tickover as the needle slides are still slightly rough and sticky when returning to a closed throttle, should hopefully be sorted for the monster trackday at Mallory on Thursday, only four days away!