PDA

View Full Version : Front brake stuck (S4)

vtwin
04-02-2005, 06:40 PM
My Monster S4 is stuck in my garage because the front brake is stuck on. Can anyone tell me how to deal with it? please?
Nick.

Albie
04-02-2005, 06:44 PM
Hmm. Has it not been used? If not gentle tap with rubber mallet. I mean gentle taps. :confused:

vtwin
04-02-2005, 07:15 PM
Thanks Albie, yeah, I brought it home about 10 days ago when I bought it, and I got it home about 11 at night, a bit damp but not too bad. Haven't used it since though. So it's been sitting in the garage for that long. I would have thought the brakes would have been ok, with the garage being dry.
I'll have to go and get a rubber mallet in the morning then.
Nick.

Albie
04-02-2005, 07:48 PM
You may just be able to rock it back and forwards if they have just stuck on but be ready for the crack jolt noise when they come away from discs. Unusual to have them stick in 10 days. :confused:

vtwin
04-02-2005, 08:02 PM
tried rocking but I couldn't move it. guess I'll have to try the hammer trick. any ideas for stopping it happening in future?

Albie
04-02-2005, 08:28 PM
Im wondering if the pistons are corroded and not returning back.Not big on Brembo calipers but have taken some Kawa zzr ones apart for cleaning pistons.Have you a Haynes manual.

Scotty
04-02-2005, 08:34 PM
my calipers stick after sitting a while always managed to free em just by rocking

preventative measures
hummmmmm
wd40 :)
or break like a lune all the way home to 'dry' the pads ;)

vtwin
04-02-2005, 09:13 PM
WD40 on the brakes :eek: :confused:
seriously is there a particular place to wd40 or should I increase the life insurance :)

NattyBoy
04-02-2005, 09:40 PM
You want to try brembo fully floating cast iron discs...stuck them on my 888, washed it..wheeled it back in the garage, went to take it our for a sunday stroll 3 days later and the pads were bloody welded to the discs... :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

Nat

Scotty
04-02-2005, 09:41 PM
no dont do it
its proberly bad for seals or sumit

if its realy realy stuck take the caliper bolts out before tapping it with the hammer

its easy, you al sort it no problem

i believe r kid brother once did wd40 the rims on his push bike once , only once though :)

Pedro
04-02-2005, 11:57 PM
Get some Halfords brake cleaner.

It sounds like the pistons are gummed up so your gonna have to pull the pads out and clean the caliper. Undo the caliper mount bolts, and pull out the pin(s) holding pads and drop them out - remember which side they were fitted to the caliper.

Get the brake cleaner and spray it into the caliper to flush out the dirt - you may need an old tooth brush to get the best effect.

Don't pull the break lever while your doing this!

Reaasemble when clean, push the pistons back by hand carefully and bung em back on the mounts.

I'd go easy with a mallat or similar - the calipers are about £150 each if you damage them

Ped

Scotty
05-02-2005, 09:02 AM
hummm i do remember once on us old 600 the errm pistons had fured up from road salt corrosion and wernt moveing evenly at all
think i eventually warped the disc errm eventually too kthe pistons out of the caliper to clean them and reblead the system after reassembly

not as difficult as it sounds i didn't even dammage the seals
which is fortunate cos i hear you cant get new seals

vtwin
05-02-2005, 02:02 PM
Thanks all,
I'll give 'em a good clean. I managed to get the freed this morning. Couple of light taps with a 15lb sledge - no bother. (joke).
Actually I gave them quite a few light taps with a nylon hammer and then rocked the bike till they freed. They seem OK now but I'll clean them anyway.
All the advice was very much appreciated. (I'm just off to Halfords.)
Nick.

Albie
05-02-2005, 04:15 PM
Glad you took my advice and gently persuaded them.As a toolmaker by trade there is only certain tools to use to create a jolt.Its not always best to rock back and forward as you could crack brake casting with pads.Just the tinyist vibration with suitable mallet/hammer often does it.Now just inspect the pads and pistons to see why. :D

Pedro
05-02-2005, 10:08 PM
If you're going to strip the caliper down, be careful as Scotty warned - you can't buy new seals. If you damage them, it's time for a new caliper. Italian Liability Law.

Ped