PDA

View Full Version : leaking base gasket - how many hours labour?

Little Monster
03-02-2005, 07:13 PM
Looks like I have a leaking base gasket on the rear cylinder of my 600. Does anyone have any idea how many hours labour that should take to repair? :confused:

Paranoid Dave
03-02-2005, 07:40 PM
Hello LM, is that nasty base gasket causing you problems. been ther done that, left it for a year...
if it's a tiny seep on the top of the engine where the fins fill up a bit when leaning on the side stand after a ride, really minimal type thing then check your engine bolts. Not just the usual side casings (i found 3 loose ones last year so always a good idea anyway) but I mean the ones that hold the engine to the frame. My rear ones were tight but the front ones were a bit loose so the weight of the front of the engine was bouncing and the rear couldn't so they parted at the weakest point and so oil was seeping out, once tightened up the problem stopped. So worth checking.
If it really needs doing then most decent services can drop the engine out in an hour I guess, then work on it and put it back again. A few hours work involved but not as drastic as you might think.

Garry Hogan
03-02-2005, 09:43 PM
My 750 started leaking from the rear base gasket and although it was fixed under warranty, I seem to remember the work order stated that it took 4 hours :eek: Add on the gasket and "sundries" and it'll probably be about £220 - give or take. :burnout:

Scotty
04-02-2005, 12:25 PM
hummm £245.43 inc vat for 6 hours labour n parts for me or so it says here
technician's name was derek though

A Yerbury
04-02-2005, 12:44 PM
I should'nt read these things....it would appear that rear right engine bolt is sheared, here we go £££££££££again!

Little Monster
04-02-2005, 06:15 PM
thanks chaps. cheery Roy at Italsport said about £200 incl about £20 parts. Hope he was including vat. Daren't check the bolts in case i do a yerbs!!! :lol: (jk - will look first!)