PDA

View Full Version : what bits should i get to tart up my S4R

Boon
03-02-2005, 01:23 PM
Hi I have just payed for a S4R and I get it on the first of march and whant some sujestions on what I can get for it to make it look better and make it faster and sound nice i.e whitch make of pipes ??? :D

gizmo750
03-02-2005, 01:57 PM
I've done the carbon rear hugger (looks good and keeps things clean and protected) and the Arrows Titanium full exhaust system with removable baffles - sounds lovely. Also put an open DP clutch cover on with a red pressure plate and stainless springs - because it looks great and sounds mad!

Power Commander is next on the list.

Try browsing Spareshack's site for some ideas.

farl
03-02-2005, 02:33 PM
Gizmo, what hugger did you fit?

Tezzer
03-02-2005, 02:52 PM
So far I have resisted the temptation, but gave in when some cheap exhausts came my way in Germany last week. Sounds good, not TOO loud, but better than standard,especially with the emovable baffle out ! See "What Price" thread.

nik_the_brief
03-02-2005, 02:55 PM
A set of 'spokey dokes' (failing that a playing card attached to the forks with a peg) and a colourful set of streamers to go on the handlebar ends. :D

Bobble
03-02-2005, 03:13 PM
Hi Boon

My own way was to fit a hugger (carbon of course) and then to put some miles on the bike 2500 so far. I was going to put on a pair of Termis untill I found out how much money they are, now i'm not saying the are too expensive (yes I am)- but I used to work for a company who made and supplied Triumph with the carbon silencers for there 955i etc .I refuse to pay that amount of money (or at least untill I can't live without them anymore - they do sound the mut's) on a name and a bit of carbon, I can do without the extra 4bhp.

Anyway, why change such a thing of beauty .
:cool:

Now where's my credit card gone ;)

rjc
03-02-2005, 03:14 PM
I can really recommend the hugger from Spares Shack. It's a two-part item, complex molding but a thing of beauty and certainly does the job.

NattyBoy
03-02-2005, 03:32 PM
Just keep it standard like me.... :rolleyes:

As the pringle advert goes.."once you start..you caaaannnnt stop" :twisted:

On a serious note..hugger a MUST (ive got a different version based on the DP item...more compact)

Another must is the steering damper...anything other than a billiard board smoovge road will induce some very interesting head wobbles under power (im sure other S4/S4R owners will be along shortly to confirm this !!)

I can get you a DP carbon damper with mucho discount of list when the times right..

Man..youve got one serious piece of kit to look forward to :twisted: :D :D

Mine lofts the wheel off the throttle in second no bother..its a feckin animal !!!

Enjoy

Nat

Pedro
03-02-2005, 04:10 PM
Just keep it standard like me.... :rolleyes:

Man..youve got one serious piece of kit to look forward to :twisted: :D :D

Mine lofts the wheel off the throttle in second no bother..its a feckin animal !!!

Enjoy

Nat

Standard? You're the biggest parts tart I know.....

And I can confirm it will lift off the throttle as Nat says!!! Well it did when I had a go.....

Ped

NattyBoy
03-02-2005, 04:26 PM
[QUOTE=Pedro]Standard? You're the biggest parts tart I know.....

And I can confirm it will lift off the throttle as Nat says!!! Well it did when I had a go.....

....whereas your old girl needed the clutch stroking a bit... :lol:

Paranoid Dave
03-02-2005, 05:32 PM
what I can get for it to make it look better and make it faster and sound nice i.e whitch make of pipes ??? :D

I take it that you're unhappy with the power and performance of the bike already even tho you haven't got it yet?
Why don't you just get it first, then ride it and take it from there. :rolleyes:

Boon
03-02-2005, 06:01 PM
I have had a go on a S4R befour and it was good fun thats why a got one coming on the first march ! But Its that it dont sound right lol
and I am am a bit put off as this S4R is the slowest bike I have had

gizmo750
03-02-2005, 06:03 PM
My hugger was from Spareshack and I am very happy with the quality and the fit. I put it on to keep crud off the shock primarily. As for the pipes, you just can't have a Duke without it giving out the "right" noise.

I went out with my wife (who now has my 996 with 50mm Termi's) and a friend with a Harley and I couldn't even hear my bike at 5,000 RPM (I was running it in). The Arrows look the part, get rid of the ugly (in my opinion) cows udder which is the only part of the S4R I didn't like, and they sound flippin' lovely - baffles in or out (but better out).

I think I will have to investigate a steering damper come the better weather and fit the Power Commander to compensate the pipes.

I will be sending begging PM's to Nat when the damper is required :rolleyes:

As for the S4R being a slow bike - point to point on the road mine is just as quick as the 996 it replaces and a damn site more comfortable too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/gizmo750/S4R002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/gizmo750/S4R003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/gizmo750/S4R006.jpg

Boon
03-02-2005, 06:11 PM
Well Me {BooN} and Nutty Natasha Tasha will be on a m620s.i.e capirex ,are going to the monster only track day so I can have a good look at all ther other monsters to give me a idea of what i can do to my S4R But the power comander is a good think every one as sed and the open cluch is the other But its the sound lol

gizmo750
03-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Pictures added to above, just so you can see what I am talking about

Boon
03-02-2005, 06:27 PM
Very nice I do like the naked cluch cool !

Boon
03-02-2005, 06:29 PM
Gizmo is it a pain to keep the swing arm clean all the time ?

Paranoid Dave
03-02-2005, 06:32 PM
I am am a bit put off as this S4R is the slowest bike I have had

I think you're missing the point, well done for lowering your standards :rolleyes: and allowing yourself to be reduced to such slow speeds but no bike, especially a monster should be looked at through MPH tinted glasses. Have you read the '600 or 900' thread thats around at the moment. ;)

I take it if there was a faster monster you'd have got that instead through principal?

Boon
03-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Parranoid Dave
Its not that I think that The S4R is slow ! its just I want a S4R that is slitly difrent to all the others just one that I can put my mark on.

Paranoid Dave
03-02-2005, 07:28 PM
Point taken Boon, I'm not one to stand in the way of modifications to monsters :lol: it's almost my middle name.
If you want to make a monster unique, tart up the bits to make it do what you want it to do, and decorate the bits you want to make it look the way you want it to. So long as you don't just think with your finger planted in a parts book then I'm sure any changes will be for the better and you'll make your bike look not only great but more importantly (for me) unique.

Having a good canvas to work with doesn't mean you're guarenteed to paint a pretty picture. Happy modding.

palooka
03-02-2005, 10:10 PM
While we're talking S4R mods, I'll throw in my tale of woe. She rolled off the stand this morning :mad: I managed to break most of the fall but ended up with a bent gear lever and scuffed bar end.

Sooooo..... has anyone replaced their S4R bar ends and gear lever with aftermarket ones that they can recommend? I don't have the readies to spring for rearsets (which I will probably do eventually) so if anyone has a spare gear lever sitting there gathering dust I'd like to hear from them.

Sorry for hijacking the thread but it's kind of related.

By the way, I can recommend the Arrow full system. Without any remapping it really helps free things up right across the rev range but especially below 4K rpm, where it the stock "bagpipes" strangle it.

farl
04-02-2005, 07:35 AM
Mine's really not happy below 4000rpm. Makes the ride to work interesting as it spits and farts in second gear whilst I'm filtering. That normal??

Vman
04-02-2005, 09:49 AM
Mine coughs, spits and rummbles away...

slob
04-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Gizmo, you could have wiped the swingarm before taking the photo! LOL

Boon
04-02-2005, 02:40 PM
well I went shoping today and just got a OHLINS stearing damper for my S4R I could not resist lol I do like that cluch cover on that Vmans bike what make is it ?

Vman
04-02-2005, 08:28 PM
That be a Tecmoto clutch cover that be... :bunny:

Boon
10-02-2005, 05:45 PM
Hi all well I have desided what to get for my S4R:-
Slipper cluch, jhp carbon can's, DP racing belly pan, powercomander, carbon backend, rear hugger and chain gard, gear indicator, Moko crash protectors. I hope to get it all by middle or April. is there any think els thats a must ?

Paranoid Dave
10-02-2005, 06:21 PM
How about a Monster to fit them too :rolleyes: :lol:

Keep your eyes open on the for sal forum folks, all these items will be for sale at vastly reduced prices in 6 months ;)

Boon
10-02-2005, 09:05 PM
Funny well nearly PD

Vman
10-02-2005, 09:52 PM
Hi all well I have desided what to get for my S4R:-
Slipper cluch, jhp carbon can's, DP racing belly pan, powercomander, carbon backend, rear hugger and chain gard, gear indicator, Moko crash protectors. I hope to get it all by middle or April. is there any think els thats a must ?

How about getting rid of that horrible red lens and indicator set up.

Get an all in one L.E.D rear light/brake light and indicator unit with a clear lens.

Sorted. ;)

norrie
11-02-2005, 12:17 PM
Here's alink to some stuff on E-Bay.
Belt covers (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=49771&item=7953216439&rd=1)
http://i2.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/62/a8/d3_1_b.JPG
Radiator cover (http://i2.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/62/a8/d3_1_b.JPG)
http://i19.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/61/24/e5_1_b.JPG
Clutch cover (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=49771&item=7953221460&rd=1)
http://i15.ebayimg.com/03/i/03/61/50/d2_1_b.JPG

The sellers state they will only post to Germany but I find if you e-mail them and ask they will usually post to the U.K. and it is cheap for postage from Germany.

Norrie.

fuggie
12-02-2005, 12:28 AM
:cool: fitted carbon short rear hugger (dogs bolloxs), :bunny:
probably look at cardon rear seat cover later this year and ? carbon exhaust. :burnout: