PDA

View Full Version : Footrest hangers

Will
01-02-2005, 09:13 PM
The paint on my footrest hangers is peeling slightly.

I could replace them but I'm thinking about having them stripped and polished. Has anyone done this? How successful was it?

if I buy new ones they are going to cost about £64 each - does anyone have any perfect condition used ones for sale?

Will

Paranoid Dave
01-02-2005, 09:50 PM
It has been done before and looks ok, they are a sod to polish so make sure you give them to a pro rather than DIY
Norrie has had his done and I'm sure he'll send a pic. Just keep on top of them with the polish as they'll loose shine real quick, they are a nasty alloy rather than ali so keep em clean them and they'll look the muts :D

crust
01-02-2005, 10:38 PM
Read this thread

Shows a picture of polished hangers and the name of the company that did it.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=5776&page=1&pp=15&highlight=polish

:) Crust

Pedro
01-02-2005, 11:35 PM
If you want to repaint them then Smoothrite paint is pretty good - very tough. Did mine about 18 months ago and the look fine still

Ped

norrie
02-02-2005, 02:20 PM
The one's on our bike were the same.
The paint was coming off.
Here's a pic.
If you want someone to polish them I can recommend GLM polishers in Devon.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/gillsducatimonster/images/7-picture1.gif?0.3906898279614458

Norrie.

slob
02-02-2005, 02:25 PM
Those cases look fookin' great Norrie, does it take much effort to keep 'em that way?

norrie
02-02-2005, 02:50 PM
I dont know yet as I've just had them done.
Although the last bike I had was all polished including the wheels all over.
I dont find it to bad although I only ride the bike at weekends and not through the winter either.
I find nothing sticks to the polished parts as they are so smooth.

Norrie.

A Yerbury
02-02-2005, 04:36 PM
as ped says if you paint them use a good hard paint, i did them first time round with crappy stuff, not great as there is a spot where ones heel rubs against them. smoothrite or sperex which is a polysomething and is great on cases as there is no need to prime and they cure with heat. If u take the hangers off you will need to remove cans and lh gear mechanism...support the bike as the side stand gives way before your very eyes...

Will
02-02-2005, 09:21 PM
Thanks for all the help - think I will get them polished :)