PDA

View Full Version : Milky Oil

karTER
01-02-2005, 09:13 AM
Noticed my oil is emulsified and it's time for a change. However, I mentioned this on another board and a chap reckoned this is a typical trait and that all Dukes suffer from this, and that it is no big problem.

Anyone shed any light on this?

Ta. :)

Sarah
01-02-2005, 09:26 AM
Do you mean the oil - or just what you can see as milky cheese stuck to the viewing window? :confused:

Does happen on a lot of them - but I always oil change & filter too every 3000 miles as a routine anyway.

:)

A Yerbury
01-02-2005, 09:58 AM
Its normal and can happen with new or old oil. But if you are due a change then do it, it's easy to do.
AY.

peteS4
01-02-2005, 11:05 AM
mate,i run an S4 and unless the journey is over 30 mins fast riding i cant even see through the little window...... looks like mayo all over the inside........ a blast of 30 mins norm clears it up but its where you do short runs the engine doesnt warm up enough to shift the condensation..... i freaked out the first time i saw it as i wasnt a member here to ask anyone and if it was a car engine you are told it means you head gasket has gone.....

Pedro
01-02-2005, 01:07 PM
It's caused by condensation and can be cured by getting the bike good and warm - run it for a couple of hours.

It's not only a Duke thing either

MotoNik
01-02-2005, 01:18 PM
Also, when the engine's warm and you park the bike up, take the oil filler cap off for about fifteen minutes (leave it somewhere obvious like on the filler cap, so you don't forget to re-fit it before starting the engine again).

This allows the condensation to escape, thus curing the problem. Having said that, mine does it a lot this time of year, and a lot of people on the Supersport forum complain about it too, so it's not just a Monster thing.

Nik

gary tompkins
01-02-2005, 01:22 PM
My oil window looks like the inside of a tub of Muller yogurt at the moment, and will stay that way until I manage to give the bike a good thrashing.

Tried the "leave the filler cap off overnight" trick a few weeks ago.

Did it work?..... Did it hell :rolleyes:

MotoNik
01-02-2005, 05:12 PM
Make sure you clean out any goo from inside the oil filler cap - you'll find a build up of mayo in there, which could be why it didn't work on yours.

I've used this trick a few times on my bike now, and it usually works. Having said that, I tend to find that it comes back again within a few weeks, especially when leaving the bike for extended periods this time of year.

Sounds like we'll all have to move somewhere warmer!

cheers,

Nik

karTER
04-02-2005, 08:21 AM
Cheers for the info/advice chaps, much appreciated.

Fosse Foxfight
16-12-2005, 12:25 AM
Also, when the engine's warm and you park the bike up, take the oil filler cap off for about fifteen minutes

This really is not a good idea.......its a great way to get airborne abrasive particles into your engine.....dont do it.

MilesB
16-12-2005, 11:44 AM
I've used this trick a few times on my bike now, and it usually works. Having said that, I tend to find that it comes back again within a few weeks, especially when leaving the bike for extended periods this time of year.
Simple - don't leave the bike unridden for extended periods :rolleyes:

Gilps
16-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Is this the same thing? Should I leave the top off the bottle overnight in the fridge?

Scotty
16-12-2005, 01:10 PM
no, the cold air in the fridge will without much moisture in the air suck all the moisture out of the milk makeing it more oily and creating a 'super vaccume' you may never open the fridge door again !

gary tompkins
16-12-2005, 02:00 PM
Simple - don't leave the bike unridden for extended periods :rolleyes:

I don't think it's that simple Miles. The aircooled monsters are extremely difficult to get up to normal operating temperature in winter, with the 900's and other models fitted with oil coolers suffering worst. I've recently fitted an oil temperature gauge to mine and it struggles to reach 70 degrees C, even after a ride of 100+ miles, hence the reasons it fails to evaporate the water trapped in the engine. Obviously it's speed related as well because the engine cools faster if your travelling at speed. In the summer I saw temperatures nearer 90 degrees C and condensation was never an issue.

Not sure if the cooler is fitted with a thermostat - I suspect not. I've toyed with the idea of blanking off some of the cooler, and watch the gauge to see what effect it has on running temperatures.

Scotty
16-12-2005, 05:45 PM
a har, i taped up my oil cooler the other day since it was winter an all , and my shiney temp gauge told me it was up in the 70-80 degree mark which is about 10 up on an untapped cooler , only thing is i took tape off to wash bike today and it took all the paint with it DOH