PDA

View Full Version : S4 missing a beat

steve kearl
31-01-2005, 07:02 PM
Can anyone help or give me some ideas, my S4 is missing a beat when it is hot, sometimes to the point that the revs drop so low that it seems like it's going to cut out but it doesn't, but only on tickover. But a couple of times now when I have gone to pull away the revs have dropped so much that it catches me out and stalls. Also can anyone tell me which is the engine oil drain bolt. Stop there, please don't tell me to take her to a dealership or buy a manual from Ducati as I have been made redundant and my trade is now extinct, so I have to start again. So money is very tight and the S4 is my only form of transport.

PaulS
31-01-2005, 07:24 PM
Got no suggestions regarding the "missing beat" problem - could be any one of a number of things. But, the engine sump plug is a flush fitting alloy plug underneath the engine that needs an allen key to undo - i.e. it has a hexagonal socket in it rather than the more conventional hex bolt head.

Pedro
31-01-2005, 11:17 PM
Steve

the missing beat thig could be dirty plugs - whip em out, give them a clean and re-gap them.

Ped

steve kearl
02-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Hi people, thanks for all your replys and suggestions, have also been told by a mechanic that it could be one of the coils breaking up. Have tried to get the front spark plug cap off but it's a stubborn bugger. Decided to leave it as I felt I would end up breaking it trying to get it out. Have had a word with my local dealership and they have agreed to have a look FOC as they have cocked up every single time they have had my bike in and I mean everytime, but at least I get a free fault find. Remember people if garages cock up, give them hell.
Also people, as my warranty has run out I want to start doing more maintenance and my first major job will be the clutch. Not for a while though as I need wonger. Do I need any special tools to do the job?

Pedro
02-02-2005, 10:44 PM
Also people, as my warranty has run out I want to start doing more maintenance and my first major job will be the clutch. Not for a while though as I need wonger. Do I need any special tools to do the job?

Hey Steve

clutch is pretty easy unless you want to take the centre and basket out. If you do, I've got a home made tool for holding it all still while you undo the big nut (feckin tight!). Gis a shout if you wanna borrow it, I'm not far from you, only about 40 mins

Ped

MikeyRides
11-05-2005, 10:20 PM
did you solve the problem. I have the same? :twisted: