PDA

View Full Version : Indicating problems

craigie
30-01-2005, 02:28 PM
Hello all
boring problem to solve, my right front indicator only works when bars are turned to the left. I have had a look inside the bar assembly and given it a good squirt of WD40 and that all looks fine. I have wiggled every wire behind the headlight/headstock and nothing, squirted everything with WD40 and nothing. If it just didn't work I could replace something but the fact that it works when turned to the left is infuriating. If a wire had snapped inside surely my vigorous wiggling would have had some effect? All the others work fine, well the rear right goes a bit fast when the front isn't working.
If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please feel free cause I've got my MOT in a month.

cheers

Craig

Scotty
30-01-2005, 02:40 PM
bound t be broken wires near the head stock
maybe try pins and a multimeter to get through the insulation
persevear or sumit like that

craigie
30-01-2005, 07:09 PM
bound t be broken wires near the head stock
maybe try pins and a multimeter to get through the insulation
persevear or sumit like that

cheers Scotty
don't like perseverance though..........

Ratchet
30-01-2005, 09:30 PM
had same problem with my dip beam, wiggled wires nothing, stripped back outer cover found wire broken in two, happy hunting.

craigie
30-01-2005, 10:26 PM
had same problem with my dip beam, wiggled wires nothing, stripped back outer cover found wire broken in two, happy hunting.

cheers Ratchet

happy hunting sounds ominously like I'll be having to persevere....

A Yerbury
30-01-2005, 10:38 PM
Perseverance is the only choice, having said that, on occasions the most cursory of glances reveal the culprit. Sometimes though, it takes months............Seriously though yours sounds easy cheesy peas. Bon chance.

craigie
31-01-2005, 05:13 PM
Seriously though yours sounds easy cheesy peas.

have you seen the amount of wires and the route they take behind that simple headlight.....I'm a man of little patience and destructive temperament

A Yerbury
31-01-2005, 05:27 PM
belive me I do empathise! my headlights have just gone too, but belly aching and generally having a bit of a girly whinge wont get you any where. there is no miracle cure I'm afraid so get to it man!

craigie
31-01-2005, 08:33 PM
having a bit of a girly whinge wont get you any where. there is no miracle cure I'm afraid so get to it man!

but what if I break a nail while I'm at it.....by the way what it the manly way to get to it? do I need a multimeter type thing or just a knife to slash at the myriad wires?

Scotty
31-01-2005, 09:28 PM
you done neeeeeeeeeeed a multimeter
a light bulb and some wire will do the trick kinda like the indicator
errrm hold on engauge brain then type eh

errm the breaks i had in my wire were not at all obvious from the insulation or anything
you will need to cut back the black outer caseing some exposeing a myrady of coloured wires
get some sewing needels or whatever
attach to light bulb with wire
stear so that indicator doesnt work
then rey putting the needels through the wire insulation at a few point to trace the general area of the break
uh ive no idea what the colours are that yuo should be testing

A Yerbury
31-01-2005, 10:23 PM
manly? I prefer the gentlemanly approach, which involves getting a little working class chappie to do it. jjust fiddle with the w..oh scotty will explain...