PDA

View Full Version : Tyres.....again!

Flip
27-01-2005, 08:55 PM
I know this has been done a gazillion times before but my old 900 is due for some new rubber and as Pirelli in their infinite wisdom have decided to stop producing the utterly (and not at all butterly) Dragon Evo, I am wondering what others have fitted to their bikes recently.

Now I know (and have said it in the past) tyres are a very personal thing on a bike but I have been completely happy with the Evos getting through three rears and two fronts in about twelve thousand miles. They have never slipped (unless I've made them... Ahem!) and always given me plenty of feedback wet or dry. Unlike the very slippery (in the wet) feeling Dunlop things the bike came on.

So come on folks lets have your opinions, are the Diablos that replace the Evos better (or at least as good) or do I change for something else?

Oh! One more thing, I promise not to blame anyone if I land it in a ditch o.k.

fatbloke
27-01-2005, 08:58 PM
dunlop 207rr

Zimbo
27-01-2005, 09:22 PM
I've had no problems at all with Diablos, they seem to suit the Ducati well. Get around 4000 rear / 6000 front, so about the same as the evo i suppose, that's riding fairly hard a lot of the time and a fair few motorway miles too.

Will
27-01-2005, 09:39 PM
I have had Dunlop and Pirellis on my 620i.e - recently changed to Bridgestone BT020s and immediately noticed a big improvement to the steering - feels completely neutral and is now a joy to ride - compared to the old tyres.

Will

Pedro
27-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Hey Flipster

got 207s on mine and found them ok - the rear has lasted around 3.5k with about another 1000 left max. No particulalrly scary moments (aside from poor judgement on my part......)

Have been mulling this over too - might give the Diablos a whirl as everyone I've spoken to with them rates them highly.

Ped

bod
27-01-2005, 11:33 PM
Diablo corsa's came on my 04 monster as new 3k and still plenty left(maybe I ride too slow)? :lol:
Have got the back to slide under braking even with a slipper clutch.
But have got me through many a bend even chasing after faster bikes with no brown pants moments yet!

JMo
28-01-2005, 12:01 AM
... my old 900 is due for some new rubber...

Er, why??? - you never ride it!

(oh, they've perished due to lack of use, I see...)

Diablo's me'ol fruit - you know it makes sense - they even work well in the wet, not that you'll ever find out of course - har har har...

Btw. I got a good 6000 miles from my last Diablo rear, and even though it had squared-off a touch, it didn't step off in the way some tyres do when they get raggy... but then I'm only a girly rider of course...

xxx

Mr Cake
28-01-2005, 08:33 AM
Flip - I may know of a place that still sells the Pirelli's you're after. I know they still do Rennsports because that what I use. Have you ever considered using Rennsports? I think they're the Metzeler equivalent to the Dragon Evo and they're sooooper sticky :) (same company anyway).

Dave

PS. My Metzelers were £169 delivered.

Richard_S
28-01-2005, 10:00 AM
I had evo's from new and am now on diablos. both highly recommended but I do a lot of m-way miles which are taking their toll on the rear. Next time I may have to opt for something a little more suitable - can you get decent grip (diablo is great) with a tour type tyre? want something that will last the distance and not go too square but also enough groove for those knee down moments ive promised myself this summer! ta

Zimbo
28-01-2005, 06:13 PM
Flip - I may know of a place that still sells the Pirelli's you're after. I know they still do Rennsports because that what I use. Have you ever considered using Rennsports? I think they're the Metzeler equivalent to the Dragon Evo and they're sooooper sticky :) (same company anyway).

Dave

PS. My Metzelers were £169 delivered.

The Rennsports are the same compound as the Pirelli SuperCorsa. Difficult to beat as a track tyre, nasty in the cold and wet though! They will grip better than the Dragon Evo on warm sunny days when properly warmed up, but won't last nearly as long, and will be much worse in cold and wet conditions that the Evo.

£169 delivered seems a pretty good price to me ...

Mr Cake
28-01-2005, 06:33 PM
I thought it was a bloody good price! They're really nice folk to deal with aswell :) I may get another rear before they become totally obsolete. I wouldn't say they're nasty in the wet, more like entertaining :D !

My last rear Rennsport lasted 1500miles. I was impressed :)

Dave

JMo
28-01-2005, 06:57 PM
My last rear Rennsport lasted 1500miles.

Huh? 1500 miles? - what is it? - a frickin' motorcross tyre?

I'd get something that works well in all conditions - Diablo's (or Diablo corsas if you want them to wear quicker x) - but P&H in Crawley have still got Dragon Evo's (and Evo corsas) in stock - £170 pair, or £190 for the corsas...

xxx

Flippin' track tyres indeed... grumble grumble... be a miracle if we can even get Flip near a track this year... x

Flip
28-01-2005, 11:13 PM
...bloody ha ha ha harsh!!

I have full intentions of not only being near, but being on a track this year(hey, I was on one last year technically ....pillion to the one and only Roger Meads, TT racer and all round bloody nice bloke round the full 37 and whatever mile course on his R1 I'll have you lot know!).

Anyways, tyres I need and tyres I shall have. Thanks for the tip 'bout P&H Jen will investigate whether they want the wheels booking in or whether they will do it as per a 'normal' tyre depot, if not it'll be a case of trying the Diablos from the VERY helpful peeps at FWR (Kennington) and if I think they're rubbish it'll be a load of smoke and some more overtime ready for the sunshine.

JMo
28-01-2005, 11:37 PM
will investigate whether they want the wheels booking in or whether they will do it as per a 'normal' tyre depot

If you take them the wheels, they ought to do it while you wait (well, about an hour) - they did that the other week when I needed new tubes for the XR, and fitted the new tyres I already had FOC bless 'em.

xxx

Fraser
31-01-2005, 09:31 AM
within reason, whatever you can get at best price. today's rubber is so good that 99% of riders can't tell the difference anyway! i know 'kin fast guys who go through the stuff/money so quick they use remoulds!