PDA

View Full Version : Welding.....help!

Mark Walker
22-01-2005, 05:03 PM
I have to get some welding done to the right hand stop lock thingy on me Monster and I was wondering if anyone else had had a similar need? I only ask as my friendly local ducati mechanic tells me it could cost anywhere between £120 and £200.....personally this seems astronomical to me, but then I know nothing about welding so I suppose this could be the norm. I also think that is a lot for what seems to be a small fracture - piccies attached (I hope)......although I presume the front end will have to come apart for the purpose of welding so that may be where it costs.

Anyway, just wondered what other people have paid for welding and if this seems to be in the right ball park price-wise.......it's convenient as they are local, but i need this doing and the front-spidle replacing....and I don't want to use 'local' people if they are going to stiff me.....

So if anyone knows of anyone in the gloucestershire/bristol ish region that might be useful for a bit of welding, please let me know.

Scotty
22-01-2005, 05:31 PM
hummm bugger i was hopeing to get someone t do some welding for me but at that sort of price hummm maybe not , us seat lock and us left hand footpeg mounts on the frame are 'dammaged'

norrie
22-01-2005, 08:29 PM
It all depends if you can weld it in place.
I think you would perhaps need to take the front end off.
If it was me I would try and weld it in place although it's hard to see how hard it is to get to from a pic.
Also I can weld and have a welder.
I suggest you go to a local car garage and ask if they could weld it in place or a blacksmiths.
I'm sure a welder could do it in place.
Look up the phone book you often get mobile welders that will come to you and do it.
It shouldn't cost that much.
More like £50 and thats them coming to you.
Do you have the skill to strip it yourself?
If so find a mobile welder,strip it yourself and then phone them to come round.

Norrie.

Duncan
22-01-2005, 08:55 PM
Mark

Its quite close to the headraces and the welder will need to CO2 or MIG it as you dont get too much heat spread that could damage the taper rollers. Providing he can get the nozzle in to do it then its not a problem as it really only needs a tack.

I know just the bloke in Stroud that can do that, he owns an SS and comes out with us quite often so he wont rip you off. Give me a call.

A Yerbury
22-01-2005, 10:17 PM
did you buy the bike like that or have you had a nasty knock? comiserations either way.

Byron Kauffman
23-01-2005, 01:39 AM
If you can get the area clean of rust and paint with a dremel tool or sander a good welder can fix it as is. Get it clean, maybe tap the piece back in the correct position. Maybe remove the headlight or at least tie the cables up out of the way. Wrap the steering head in cold damp rag to pull away the heat as he welds. He should be able to tack it, let it cool, and tack again until the job is done without hurting the bearings. Just be aware of the possibility to hurt the bearings and do everything you can to keep the heat from getting too high and spreading into the bearing.
I just helped a friend get his cracked outdrive for his boat welded. we did roughly the same thing I described and it was right next to the bearing without hurting it.

If you do the nasty work of getting it clean and everything out of the way, your local welder will treat you right. I wouldnt expect to pay more than $50. Look for a car body shop "panel beater" that does custom work on high end cars. They know how to weld without building up heat.

bod
23-01-2005, 01:09 PM
Dont forget to disconect the battery before welding,or you will fry any electronics you have on your bike.