PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Spares

Pedro
20-01-2005, 10:29 PM
Howdy

while stripping my bike I found the rose joints on the lower end of the suspension loop (earlier Monnies) were completely shot. Ducati want around £40+ each for these.

However, with a little big of digging, I've found the same item at Bearing Services Ltd (BSL) for £13.10 each!! BSL are nationwide.

If you need some, give your local BSL a call and ask for the following:

Rod Ends, Part Number SMG10.40

More useful stuff like this to follow

Ped

A Yerbury
20-01-2005, 11:08 PM
we should have part of the site dedicated to posting and storing these gems a la bmw heqdlight etc (oh and the jubilee clips) ...............peds corner?

Pedro
21-01-2005, 06:34 AM
we should have part of the site dedicated to posting and storing these gems a la bmw heqdlight etc (oh and the jubilee clips) ...............peds corner?

Good thinking Yerbs but not's Peds Corner.

How about Useful Info or Part Numbers? Got quite a bit of info stashed away now.

FB, whaddaya think?

Ped

A Yerbury
21-01-2005, 08:12 AM
it has to be peds corner I'm affraid.

DesmoDog
21-01-2005, 08:17 AM
Great stuff on the rose joints - I know that will be my next woe as I can hear terrible squeaking when I sit on the bike with engine off. Peds corner sounds right to me - we'll avoid chat and just post little gems as a nod to ped and a cheeky wink to the accountants at Ducati.

BTW, the grease nipples on the joints are really small - is there a fitting for a grease gun for these things or does someone have an amazing solution?

A Yerbury
21-01-2005, 08:32 AM
small hypo whilst holding bearing down with something non mettalic.

Pedro
21-01-2005, 12:07 PM
Great stuff on the rose joints - I know that will be my next woe as I can hear terrible squeaking when I sit on the bike with engine off. Peds corner sounds right to me - we'll avoid chat and just post little gems as a nod to ped and a cheeky wink to the accountants at Ducati.

BTW, the grease nipples on the joints are really small - is there a fitting for a grease gun for these things or does someone have an amazing solution?

The squeak means they're seized or very close - change them sooner rather than later. I'm working on a means of sealing them from the grot - will post the solution if it works.

In the meantime, here's how to hold the suspension when you remove the loop!!

Ped

DesmoDog
21-01-2005, 12:34 PM
OK Thanks Ped and Alex, thats handy. White grease?

Scotty
21-01-2005, 12:52 PM
OK Thanks Ped and Alex, thats handy. White grease?

AKA Lard ?

A Yerbury
21-01-2005, 01:24 PM
any thick stuff, neednt be high melting point obviously. I used some red silkolene stuff I half inched from halfords.

DesmoDog
21-01-2005, 01:39 PM
Yes Scotty, Lard. And then when your bike breaks down somewhere out in deepest Northumberland you can lick the rear coil for sustenance.

crust
21-01-2005, 03:39 PM

Yes, you can buy the fitting from BSL

though you might have to get them to order it.

Makes a massive difference to lubricating the ends, a few pumps of the grease gun and jobs a good'un, plus you know the grease has got all the way round as there is a channel in the housing and the excess grease comes out all the way round..

Allows you to flush the old grease out.

:) Crust