PDA

View Full Version : Belt tension

stef
20-01-2005, 11:24 AM
Calling on the technicos here:
i checked the belt tension over the weekend, following the ducati suite method.
i can just about fit a 5mm allen on the horizontal belt (forcing it in, more like)
but i cant really fit a 6mm on the vertical. maybe a 5mm at a push...
is the vertical belts too tight, or could this be explained by the very cold temperature at the moment.
do you reckon it needs adjusting ?
it must have been 5-6deg in the garage. the belt looks in good shape though.

Pedro
20-01-2005, 12:09 PM
Calling on the technicos here:
i checked the belt tension over the weekend, following the ducati suite method.
i can just about fit a 5mm allen on the horizontal belt (forcing it in, more like)
but i cant really fit a 6mm on the vertical. maybe a 5mm at a push...
is the vertical belts too tight, or could this be explained by the very cold temperature at the moment.
do you reckon it needs adjusting ?
it must have been 5-6deg in the garage. the belt looks in good shape though.

Stef,

try this, it's how I set mine.

You should be able to twist the belt through 90 degrees on the longest run between pulleys - Monstershop gave me this tip and it seems pretty good.

The motor being colder won't tighten the belt, quite the opposite. I've been told that the vertical cylinder expands by 2-3 mm from top to bottom when hot hence the need for slighly looser fit on the vertical belt.

While you doing this, if they've not been changed recently, fit new belts. It's also best not to remove and refit as they could get damaged

HTH

Ped

stef
20-01-2005, 12:18 PM
the 90deg twist, is that on the vertical or horizontal ?
and thinking of it, if it was the cold, the horizontal would also feel tighter than it does..i'll do some adjusting over the weekend.

Pedro
20-01-2005, 04:11 PM
I used this method on both belts on the advice of Lee from Monstershop.

I did mine in February last year with no problems.

Ped

stef
20-01-2005, 04:54 PM
how do you twist it ? using fingers only, or some pliers ?

bod
20-01-2005, 06:40 PM
By hand, it should give a resistance at about 90 deg if adjusted ok.
Been using this method on car cam belts for 15 years and never had a problem.

The Kevlar Kid
20-01-2005, 11:13 PM
I dont rate the 90 degree twist method myself, its ok on cars (done plenty of them) as they have a long run between the pulleys, on the monster its not so long. Also if you are unused to doing it, the amount of force required to move the belt through 90 degrees may be over / under estimated. I know the Ducati tech's will use this method, but then they're probably doing a couple a day.

I do mine using a spring balance from a fishing shop (£15). Using this you can measure the exact force applied to the belt at the moment you tighten the adjuster pulley. Therefore keeping both belts adjusted to an acurate tension. If interested let me know and I'll delve into my mounds of paper and tell you what the measurement to use is.

Incidentaly, this is (so i'm told) how the old Ducati service tool worked, it was essentially a spring balance but without a scale marked on it, just a single point for the correct tension. They have some other more sophisticated tool now I believe.