PDA

View Full Version : Bar Italia - 20th January

Runningman
19-01-2005, 05:06 PM
Just a reminder; myself and a few others will be in Bar Italia at around 6.00PM tomorrow evening.

All welcome - we might need a whip round for the coffees.

Martin

Runningman
19-01-2005, 05:08 PM
Sorry, its the Metropolitan in me (ooh er)
It's in Frith St - Soho - London.

rjc
19-01-2005, 05:16 PM
Bugger, I'm stuck in Swindon on business. Won't make. Sorry guys. Next time!

NattyBoy
19-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Bugger, I'm stuck in Swindon on business. Won't make. Sorry guys. Next time!

Swindon....the metropolis of the south west.. :rolleyes: :D :D

Anything exciting ??

Nat

farl
19-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Did you decide what to do about parking ~ what with Frith street being double yellow.. I'll come weather permiting not got my hugger yet..

slob
20-01-2005, 07:21 PM
?????
Got there about 6:30, no one about. Had coffee and Left just before 7:00.

peteS4
20-01-2005, 07:40 PM
sorry i wasnt there slob..... me and madhatter wil start to join you soon but its a long way for us after work. as we dont get home till around 6ish theres no time left to change and get out, but dont give up. we will soon i promise

madhatter
20-01-2005, 07:56 PM
sorry i wasnt there slob..... me and madhatter wil start to join you soon....

Yep....nothing like turning up and remaining on your Jack Jones....is there?

We could do with a good meeting place somewhere between J1 and J14 of the M1, which us "bollox-2-the-weather" bikers could all get to....anything around the St.Albans area for example??

Keep Smiling Rob.. :D ...MH

slob
20-01-2005, 08:27 PM
No worries, I went straight out through Camden, Hampstead and Golders Green for another coffee at the Ace. Much cheaper but nowhere near as nice. There was another 'Dark' there when I came out but I never saw the owner.
Anyone got any spare cards?
Downside is I got gatsoed on the 406 due to a minor lapse of concentration, I guess I'll have to wait a few weeks to see if I get a letter for all of 2mph over the limit. With any luck there's no film left by the time the rush hour's over.

Runningman
20-01-2005, 08:28 PM
?????
Got there about 6:30, no one about. Had coffee and Left just before 7:00.

Rob
Apologies for that, a bit of director grief meant I didn't get to Soho until about 6.40 - 45ish (bit vague 'cos I have no watch at the mo).

I hung around long enough to drink one coffee and watch somebody cruise by on a red monster with chequered tank...identify yourself oh cautious one.

As for the parking; I sat quite happily outside on the double yellows watching the good burghers of Soho pass by - marvelous!

Next time ya'all.

r

slob
20-01-2005, 08:30 PM
Damn, I must have missed you by nanoseconds.
Anyone from the London area going down to the Oakdene on Sunday morning?
I think I may go for a bacon butty and say hello to the Kent guys.

Runningman
20-01-2005, 09:26 PM
Rob
Might be able to make the Oakdene; will confirm on Sat afternoon.

btw there is a cafe behind Selfridges that is very popular with bikers as it has a bike parking bay running the entire length of the frontage.
It would be a bit easier for our friends in the North too.

I'll do some more research.

A Yerbury
20-01-2005, 09:36 PM
cheap coffe? at the ace? its not proper coffee either if George is still operations Manager..................

slob
20-01-2005, 09:49 PM
cheap coffe? at the ace? its not proper coffee either if George is still operations Manager..................

Less than a quid. The coffee at Bar Italia is clearly Columbia's most expensive export.

I'm not even sure where Selfridges is, but I'm sure I'll find it if anyone wants to give it a go.
I took the same route as Runningman showed us... three laps of the West End before getting the entrance to Frith St.

A Yerbury
20-01-2005, 10:58 PM
less than a quid? thats new/long overdue. Sadly Bar Italia has also always had very unflattering lighting....

peteS4
20-01-2005, 11:20 PM
not to sure about its quality but i know its bloody hot, the last time we all got together at the ace that day i got a coffee and it was soooooo hot i removed the roof of my mouth on the first sip.

as for the meeting place thing... i'm happy with cent london if madhatter is. sunday lunch time would be good as i'm out saturday nights turning my legs to jelly so would need time to get my balance back. i did speak witj queen_g_pants and she seemed ok with the ace once a month and if it isnt freezing wecould do italian night once a month. i think they may also be doing a streetfighter night once a month too. i think mummsie and robin would be up for the ace on sunday so thats four of us riding down, i know stormie will be out soon and the doc will once it gets above 10 degrees including windchill.

queen_gpants
21-01-2005, 07:48 AM
We could do with a good meeting place somewhere between J1 and J14 of the M1, which us "bollox-2-the-weather" bikers could all get to....anything around the St.Albans area for example??

How about the Galleria in Hatfield?

Not very glamorous I know but it is on the A1, there's a maccy D's and petrol and some superb roads :)

Radar picks up his S4 tomorrow so providing it doesn't snow over the weekend (it is forecast) I'm sure we'll be up for a blat on Sunday somewhere? If people are planning to meet at the Ace we could go for a ride afterwards; there's a nice bikers pub in Postcombe on the A40 out by Thame and it's a nice stretch of road with no gatsos :twisted:

slob
21-01-2005, 08:48 AM
...there's a maccy D's...
Good grief, is that mean to be a plus-point?

DesmoDog
21-01-2005, 09:40 AM
Our friends in the North? If you think I'm riding all the way down from Newcastle for a coffee behind Selfridges because there's a parking slot you've got another thing comming! Bar Italia, I thought standard procedure when parking in Soho was to park on the pavement with cunning plate cover in place.

There's a bike on Great Malborough Street just next to the toilets behind Liberty's - some coffee chain right by it. Another on Broadwick St., and on Golden Square, but watch out for nonces on scooters with bumper bars!

Seriously though - I might pop in during the summer.

Rob
Might be able to make the Oakdene; will confirm on Sat afternoon.

btw there is a cafe behind Selfridges that is very popular with bikers as it has a bike parking bay running the entire length of the frontage.
It would be a bit easier for our friends in the North too.

I'll do some more research.

slob
21-01-2005, 10:12 AM
...There's a bike on Great Malborough Street just next to the toilets behind Liberty's - some coffee chain right by it. Another on Broadwick St...
Jeez, you've got a good view from up there DD.

DesmoDog
21-01-2005, 10:13 AM
sometimes you have to ride bloody miles to find a slot mate!

queen_gpants
21-01-2005, 12:14 PM
Good grief, is that mean to be a plus-point?

Oh god no, I'd rather starve than eat from macdonalds!

I just meant it's somewhere to meet up for a rideout, rather than stand outside and freeze yer bits off!

slob
21-01-2005, 12:32 PM
......phew

DesmoDog
21-01-2005, 12:40 PM
aha, you spotted my deliberate mistake. Of course the bike is on Kingly street. looks like a couriers though so he won't hang about there for long. I meant a bike park.

Runningman
21-01-2005, 05:05 PM
aha, you spotted my deliberate mistake. Of course the bike is on Kingly street. looks like a couriers though so he won't hang about there for long. I meant a bike park.

Ahh, Kingly Street...where Paul met Linda, all those years ago.
There is also a nice greasy spoon alongside (whisper it) Daytona, at the Angel, althought i'm not certain how late it stays open
All the places mentioned are good biker meets; I suggest we start trying a few out ASAP.

Slob... Selfridges, as all self respecting Geordies know, is in Oxford St.

A Yerbury
21-01-2005, 05:10 PM
Selfridges is in bond st, same road different name as all you northern plebs dont know!

Runningman
21-01-2005, 08:48 PM
Selfridges is in bond st, same road different name as all you northern plebs dont know!

Thats odd, their web site gives the address as 400 Oxford St; do you think we ought to let them know?

A Yerbury
21-01-2005, 09:23 PM
yes!! although top points for pedantry and points mean prizes! accept my apologies though as for some reason I assumed you were a north of watford type. I really should pay more attention sometimes.
later bruv.

Runningman
21-01-2005, 10:50 PM
yes!! although top points for pedantry and points mean prizes! accept my apologies though as for some reason I assumed you were a north of watford type. I really should pay more attention sometimes.
later bruv.

Apologies not neccesary, but gratefully and graciously received.
For all other pedants out there, I currently reside just north of the dreaded Watford, but am a born and bred Sarf Londoner.

Look forward to meeting you sometime AYerbury, or can I call you Alex?

Martin

A Yerbury
21-01-2005, 10:58 PM
you can indeed, it makes a refreshing change to "yerbs" .
Alex de la tooting and wandsworth.