PDA

View Full Version : Ducati 800 Monster Dark Question

DemonDan
19-01-2005, 12:09 PM
Hi, I'm considering buying either a standard Monster 800 or a Monster 800 Dark (both a year old). I read somewhere that the swingarm on the standard monster is alluminium whilst on the Dark it's steel. Can someone explain what, if any, difference this makes to the bike? Is it something I need to worry about as someone relatively new to biking? Also, someone mentioned something about the ground clearance on a Dark being less than the standard model. How is this? I thought they shared the same frame etc?

Cheers

Will
19-01-2005, 12:20 PM
Hi, I'm considering buying either a standard Monster 800 or a Monster 800 Dark (both a year old). I read somewhere that the swingarm on the standard monster is alluminium whilst on the Dark it's steel. Can someone explain what, if any, difference this makes to the bike? Is it something I need to worry about as someone relatively new to biking? Also, someone mentioned something about the ground clearance on a Dark being less than the standard model. How is this? I thought they shared the same frame etc?

Cheers

The Aluminium swingarm will be lighter than the steel one, giving a lower unsprung weight - this in theory will enable the suspension to better control the rear wheel over bumps - however I bet that in practice the difference is imperceptible.

The Dark will have less ground clearance - the S.i.e. models have an adjustable ride height - the basic models do not. The adjustable ride height enables you to raise or lower the rear of the bike to change the handling characteristics - raising the rear quickens the steering but make the bike slightly less stable.

Will

slob
19-01-2005, 02:04 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, both the ie and ie-dark have steel swingarms, the Sie has an ally one.

Scotty
19-01-2005, 03:08 PM
best take a mangnet with ya when ya go look at em #:?

NattyBoy
19-01-2005, 05:09 PM
In the real world....its about looks..yes ally is lighter (and easier to maintain as painted steel ones can get tatty if not looked after). but I wouldnt be too concerened about that....the ground clearance would be negligible too I think youll find (both will scarpe there pegs if pushed anyway).

Good luck..the 800's a cracking motor !!!

Nat