PDA

View Full Version : Standard Headlamps

SAMMYE
07-01-2005, 05:38 PM
I really want to get rid of my standard ducati headlamp. I know this has been done a thousand times but I'm still stuck with the courier style (sorry work in London and see them everyday)

I just cant seem to settle on what I want! any suggestions??

I should say though I prefer the street fighter minimalistic look

A Yerbury
07-01-2005, 06:36 PM
twin lamps look cool (the retro ones not the modern ones shaped like tipped over coffee mugs) a friend had a nice one on his that went around the lamp, with clip ons it had a tres cafe look, Ill see if I can find a pic and someone can, hopefully identify it.

SAMMYE
07-01-2005, 08:09 PM
Thanks Yerbs sounds perfect

A Yerbury
08-01-2005, 12:18 AM
I have the contact sheet in front of me but after a bloody virus and format I need to download scanner drivers again, normal service to resume shortly sam.

JMo
08-01-2005, 12:24 AM
but I'm still stuck with the courier style (sorry work in London and see them everyday)... ...any suggestions??

Just wrap your whole bike in gaff tape then...

(And bungee a topbox on where the seat cowl would go, oh, and drop it a few times too...)

xxx

Zimbo
08-01-2005, 08:57 AM
How about these from M&P, in black or chrome, £65.

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=500394

A Yerbury
08-01-2005, 10:15 AM
those twin ones are too deep zimbo and (IMO) dont suit monsters, a pair of flatter chrome ones would be much more cheeky. cheaper too.

slob
08-01-2005, 11:01 AM
pair o' these then (oh, if only they came in stainless)
http://www.mandp.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=500349

Scotty
08-01-2005, 12:22 PM
im still waiting for delivery of some super chava bling headlamps 2 months is realy taking the **** but fingers crossed will be uniuque or sumit like that bwuahahahar

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=4821&stc=1

slob
08-01-2005, 12:39 PM
Just wrap your whole bike in gaff tape then...
(And bungee a topbox on where the seat cowl would go, oh, and drop it a few times too...)
Don't forget the handlebar muffs and leg shields made from estate-agents' signs!

Didge
08-01-2005, 05:08 PM
[QUOTE=Scotty]im still waiting for delivery of some super chava bling headlamps 2 months is realy taking the **** but fingers crossed will be uniuque or sumit like that bwuahahaharQUOTE]

Very nice Scotty, but you're just bloody showing off again aren't you.

gary tompkins
08-01-2005, 05:09 PM

I tried a pair of 4 1/2" bates lamps on my monster last year. The beam was crap for night riding because they only had 25watt halogen bulbs fitted. I got a refund on them, shelved the project and went back to the standard headlight in the end :rolleyes: Looked cool though & I've dug out a photo.

I also like these weird bug-eye ones a lot, and the other chrome (bates style) lamps look ok, plus they have a decent 55/65watt bulb too. Remember you will need relays to take the load off the switchgear though :)

Scotty
08-01-2005, 05:21 PM
nah if id been showing off id have ordered the halide discharge ones
but at £400 a piece i think not

oh and yeah i doubt il be able to see anything in the dark, there fog lamps for car bumpers or sumit

slob
08-01-2005, 05:42 PM
I know what you mean about Bates(the other prince of darkness perhaps) headlights.
I have a HD Sportster which essentially has one of those, I scared the cr*p out of myself the first time I went down a twisty country lane at night.
I went straight out and bought a Cibie H4 beam unit for it which is the beezneez. Dunno if they're available for the mini size though.
The mini-Bates in the last photo look excellent. I was thinking of bottom mount ones on a wee bracket where the hose clamps are.
I also think Mr. Yerbury's fairing looks pretty good, I'm sure he'll be telling us what that is any minute now.

A Yerbury
08-01-2005, 08:17 PM
busters much cheapness, sprayed with money and chav bolts and a natty check fablon stripe. cheers slob! (does look nice n different tho)

JMo
08-01-2005, 10:42 PM
Sammye, baby... personally I think twin lights make all bikes look like a crash-damaged streetfighter... (unless they are vertically mounted in a road Racing fairing, ahem)... seriously, unless you spend mega-money on the DP bug-eyes (if you can still find them), the small lamps cover up even less of the spaghetti wiring - not cool.

Why not just get an 8 inch KC Daylighter spotlight cover (you know, the yellow ones like a smiley face) and stick it over the original light? tres witty methinks...

xxx

Albie
08-01-2005, 10:56 PM
I have to agree with Jen. :D :D :rolleyes:

www.roadracing.it

Scotty
08-01-2005, 11:20 PM
well if anyones interested i could sell ya some super oscars, drive or spot thers a large singel lamp for ya

slob
09-01-2005, 10:11 AM
busters much cheapness, sprayed with money and chav bolts and a natty check fablon stripe. cheers slob! (does look nice n different tho)
I staggered past a Gilera DNA, between pubs last night, which looks almost the same, although far more expensive no doubt.
http://www.maxmoto.co.uk/images/gilera_dna_50_6l.jpg

spacemonkey
09-01-2005, 10:44 AM
Sammye, baby... personally I think twin lights make all bikes look like a crash-damaged streetfighter...
xxx

At last a light house in a fog of bad taste!

However those bug eye jobs in the 3rd piccy look kinda nice...

Slob, you're gonna upset him again.... :cool:

slob
09-01-2005, 11:28 AM
Slob, you're gonna upset him again.... :cool:
He'll be alright as long as he gets his dried frog pills, besides they DO look similar! even now that I'm sober.

gary tompkins
09-01-2005, 12:30 PM
The mini-Bates in the last photo look excellent. I was thinking of bottom mount ones on a wee bracket where the hose clamps are.

Yeah I thought they looked the biz too, but were about as much use as a chocolate teapot after dark. So in the end practicality won over looks, which was a shame as the wiring/relays took me ages to sort out :(

A Yerbury
09-01-2005, 12:56 PM
depends jen 99% of twin lamps look cack as the are two small ones within the bracket, a pair of flatter ones mounted underneath doing away with the side bracket and comming out more at the sides would look good, I havent seen a monster like this yet and my computer bits are in pieces so I CANT MOCK ANYTHING UP BUT IT WOULD LOOK NICE TRUST (caps sorry) any way it would look good! thanks scotty, space has also made the dna observation/comparison!
Alex.

Zimbo
09-01-2005, 09:02 PM
An example??

JMo
09-01-2005, 09:09 PM
An example??

Of a crash-damaged streetfighter right?! x

Yerbs - know what you are saying, lamps more like the Trihumph (not a spelling mistake x) Speed-Triple? - it's almost there I guess, at least Hinkley know how to hide the wiring... shame the instrument pod looks so CRASH-DAMAGED STREETFIGHTER still... ahem.

xxx

SAMMYE
10-01-2005, 10:36 AM
hmmm interesting idea's I do chop (no pun intended) and change my mind and if I had the 'courier' lamp I could change back when I felt like being retro.

I'm not to keen on the dna style look as it looks too sporty for me although I like Jmo's and Albies but in theory I dont like them!?!?! :confused:

anyway I love the twin-bates pic anyone know where I can get the same/similar from??

slob
10-01-2005, 11:16 AM
http://www.mandp.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=500393

SAMMYE
10-01-2005, 12:13 PM
cheers slob.... do you think they are the same size? do you personally think they will look any good??

slob
10-01-2005, 12:21 PM
They are approx 21cm the pair, which sounds about right (without diving out to my garage with a ruler), personally.. they don't do it for me but each to his/her own.

dean
10-01-2005, 12:32 PM
Sammye
only just picked up on this thread, my headlamp and faring set is from pyramid plastics, you cant really see it from my avatar but it's (yet another) style to think about. I think it looks lovely in the flesh. but i would say that.

SAMMYE
10-01-2005, 12:36 PM
Thanks Slob.

Dean would like to see a better picture of your headlights! It does look very nice

dean
10-01-2005, 12:52 PM
heres a pic for you sammye

gary tompkins
10-01-2005, 09:29 PM
Found another one of a stateside monster using a set of mini car spot lamps

SAMMYE
11-01-2005, 09:16 AM
Found another one of a stateside monster using a set of mini car spot lamps

:eek: Thats exactly what Im after Gary!!! (Sorry JMO, theres no accounting for taste)

any ideas people??

A Yerbury
11-01-2005, 11:04 AM
Hmmm Im (french keyboard-no apostrophe?!) with madam on this one, small twins look a bit weedy and wrong and dont support the generous and confident lines of the bike.....this really is pseuds corner stuff sorry! but if that floats your teacups sam then do what thou wilt.

DesmoDog
11-01-2005, 11:35 AM
Hmmm I'm split on this one - I keep hankering after a set of twins, and some headlights - but I find the teenyones just a bit, well, too teeny for the same reasons as Yerbs so eloquently puts it. I really like the ones on the new speed triple, and I think that you could get away with them on the molto brutale looks of the monnie. Are those last twins on Gary's set of pics frome Bates? Finally, I know that on the hill where I go there is a shop that sells all sorts of street bike headlights, including a set of fish eyed minis like those in the yank pic - Sammye, if you want me to check price etc I'd be only too happy.

DD

SAMMYE
11-01-2005, 11:48 AM
Hmmm I'm split on this one - I keep hankering after a set of twins, and some headlights - but I find the teenyones just a bit, well, too teeny for the same reasons as Yerbs so eloquently puts it. I really like the ones on the new speed triple, and I think that you could get away with them on the molto brutale looks of the monnie. Are those last twins on Gary's set of pics frome Bates? Finally, I know that on the hill where I go there is a shop that sells all sorts of street bike headlights, including a set of fish eyed minis like those in the yank pic - Sammye, if you want me to check price etc I'd be only too happy.

DD

Desmo that would be absolutely brilliant if you could do that for me :D

singletrack
11-01-2005, 12:04 PM
:eek: Thats exactly what Im after Gary!!! (Sorry JMO, theres no accounting for taste)

any ideas people??
Can you get them with a free white stick and dark glasses? :lol:

slob
11-01-2005, 12:07 PM
Last time I was in Portugal I saw loads of motocrossers with tiny lights like that hidden behind competition number plates.

gary tompkins
11-01-2005, 10:38 PM
Are those last twins on Gary's set of pics frome Bates? DD

Yep they sure were - 4 1/2" chrome ones from M&P :)

Vman
11-01-2005, 11:14 PM
Where are they from?
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=4825

Phoenix
12-01-2005, 08:06 PM
All these conversions - I got a question if I may ?

Do they light the road up at all ? I don't like my standard lights looks but it's great in the dark since i binned the multi colour bulb that was in it originally.

I'd like to change mine but i worry that they won't work as well.

Scotty
12-01-2005, 09:39 PM
100 watt bulbes are your answer to that one ;)

slob
12-01-2005, 11:13 PM
100 watt bulbes are your answer to that one ;)

until the heat starts melting the fittings

Phoenix
12-01-2005, 11:16 PM
until the heat starts melting the fittings

Now he tells me - I'd been to B and Q too :(

slob
12-01-2005, 11:22 PM
Sorry, only just got home. Try it and see.
I had a bates style with a 100/80 in it on my other bike, when I opened up the shell to change the flasher relay I noticed the plastic around the plug had deformed a bit from the heat. It may be better with other lights since there's almost no space for air to circulate in those tiny headlight shells.

DesmoDog
13-01-2005, 09:37 AM
But there was a lot of buggering about with cables with those bates twin lights right? I can see the spagetti in the blown up picture. I hate messing with the wiring especially on my old bike - the indicators were bad enough. Blah blah wish I was competent.

DesmoDog
13-01-2005, 09:41 AM
Won't you need to make up a mounting for those? They have a bottom fixing.

slob
13-01-2005, 11:28 AM
yes indeedy

gary tompkins
13-01-2005, 06:52 PM
Where are they from?
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=4825

THEY ARE 4 1/2" CHROME BATES LAMPS FROM M&P!!!

Is it me - or is there an echo in here?.......echo in here.......echo in here :D

A Yerbury
20-01-2005, 10:41 AM
sam here s the screen which goes around as opposed to perch on top, the chequerboard he did himself but apart from that I dunno who made this, perhaps someone does..did RR make one like this?

A Yerbury
20-01-2005, 10:56 AM
In fact stuart spares bought this bike after Mick dropped it, he will hopefully know who made the fairing.

SAMMYE
20-01-2005, 11:54 AM
very nice Thanks Mr Yerbs, could have just changed me mind!!

norrie
20-01-2005, 11:54 AM
I had twin bates fitted on my Hornet.
They were the larger ones which in my opinion look much better than the small puny ones.
They are similar in size to the Speed Triple.
I actually got a Speed Triple fly screen to fit as well but never got round to it.
Here's a couple of pics.
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/norrieshondahornet/images/2-picture3.gif?0.4287600131157776

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/norrieshondahornet/images/2-picture1.gif?0.8415175123943114

Norrie.

A Yerbury
20-01-2005, 12:42 PM
thats just the ticket norrie, the small ones just look a bit beady eyed to me too.

SAMMYE
20-01-2005, 12:55 PM
The Large one's look Naive to me

A Yerbury
20-01-2005, 01:24 PM
thats enthusiasm not naivety!

MilesB
23-05-2005, 01:59 PM
I had twin bates fitted on my Hornet.
They were the larger ones which in my opinion look much better than the small puny ones.
They are similar in size to the Speed Triple.
I actually got a Speed Triple fly screen to fit as well but never got round to it.
Norrie.
Awesome - found this in the achive when looking for something else :rolleyes:

Just what I want - the Speed Triple look.
Found some 5 3/4" twin lights from Simpson Detour, but at £150ish a set :eek:

Presume available from M&P like GTs?

Albie
23-05-2005, 03:27 PM
Think it looks good norrie. Nice colour hornet to. Is it like the Rizla suzuki colours ?? :D

DesmoDog
27-05-2005, 09:47 AM
So Norrie, were the lamps on the hornet the 5 3/4 ones? Confused? Me?

fordey
16-09-2005, 01:43 PM
like your mirrors, where did you get them?

Didge
16-09-2005, 02:02 PM
I've got one of these blighters, but I can't see how it fixes to the bike.
Maybe someone would be so kind as to tell me the best way to fit it.

CK & AK
16-09-2005, 02:11 PM
I've got one of these blighters, but I can't see how it fixes to the bike.
Maybe someone would be so kind as to tell me the best way to fit it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Didge -thats great - I want one too :D

C :p

gary tompkins
16-09-2005, 09:26 PM
like your mirrors, where did you get them?

Who's - mine, Norries or someone elses?