PDA

View Full Version : Steering Head?

MikeG
06-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Anyone had experience of changing head bearings on an M600. Mine have gone all stiff and creaky!
I think they are about to give up totally.

MikeG

Pedro
06-01-2005, 04:59 PM
These can be a bit of a nightmare so I've been told. Can't remember who it was but they had to have the races cut out of the frame as they'd corroded in. Might be worth stripping the yokes off and greasing everything if the bearings look ok.

Ped

MotoNik
06-01-2005, 05:15 PM
I've done a couple of bikes now, and it's not too bad, assuming they're not corroded in.

Just a bit time-consuming getting the front end of the bike off. But once the forks are out it's just a case of tapping the old bearing cups out. Take your time to knock them out evenly, or you could end up wedging them in, or making the headstock oval!

BTW I actually found that Ducati only charged me about £20 for a pair of new bearings (I was having difficulty locating the right ones from a bearing stockist), which wasn't that much more than you'd pay elsewhere.

When you re-fit the new ones take your time to get the adjustment right - too loose and they'll get hammered to bits, too tight and they'll seize up. Get the front of the bike off the floor and turn the bars from side to side - you want there to be just a small amount of resistance.

Manufacturers use a special spring gauge to set the adjustment, but with a bit of time and feeling what it's doing you can get them pretty good.

Nik

MikeG
10-01-2005, 10:14 AM
Thanks, I need to get this sorted pretty soon as the head seems to be getting tighter!