PDA

View Full Version : Strangled Engine

Plum
30-12-2004, 08:50 AM
Ever had this. I have just started my Monnie after a few weeks of it being laid up. When i (eventually) got it started, it ticked over fine and i left it to warm up in the normal fashion. I left work and on the ride home, encountered a long queue of traffic, so in true fashion went to zip up the side of it. I opened it up and ......nothing. Flatter than i witches tit. (do they have flat tits?). In fact it actually slowed down. I hooked into another gear and it did go this time. I had replaced the plugs beofre this had happened and i have a spare set so i am fairly happy that the plugs are okay. I am kinda hoping its was a bit of **** in the carbs. Anyone had this before and if so what caused it?

Cheers

gary tompkins
30-12-2004, 09:03 AM
If cold and damp enough on Jersey - possibly carb icing?

stef
30-12-2004, 10:47 AM
yep, have this now and then.
not sure what it is.. **** in the carbs, as you said.
looks like the bike is running only on one leg.
had the problem last month. after 6-7miles, one of the cylinder started playing up. the bike would stall every 200meters. i managed 3-4 miles like this, decided to call the girlfriend to let her know i'd be late, and after putting the phone down everything was fine..either it's voodoo, or it could also be carb icing (the duration of the phone call may have just been enough for the engine to warm the carbs..)
it's the problem with those bikes, you really have to know them to ride them.
(and the ducati too. :D )

Plum
30-12-2004, 01:09 PM
Well i did wonder about Carb icing, but its never happened before and i am an all weather rider (as evident on my bike which look's like a pile o'****e). On a funny note, i went to my local dealer (as he was the only bike shop open) to get my plugs. I thought it would be a good idea to get a spare set, so i did.......£30 for 4 plugs!! For £30 i can get laid(that the wifes special price), 12 1/2 pints of Guinness or 7 packs of fags. I dont smoke and i am married so i rarely get laid. Guinness is my only pleasure. Anyway when i picked myself off the floor, the salesman then tried to sell me an S2R. 'It will be in soon' he says. '£5000 we are going to try and sell them for' he continues 'Very nice, only i dont have £5000' i say. 'Thats what finanace is for' he says.

Yeah, nice...................er good sales techniques. Now feck off!!

stef
30-12-2004, 01:56 PM
quality. I have to try and get there !

DesmoDog
30-12-2004, 03:27 PM
Mine does this all the time, the bike not the wife. Just about to post up again about it - I've found a really, really embarrasing thing and it might be the reason behind my most recent cut out and die in the middle of town. I put the tank up when I have the optimate on and I just found that when I'mputting the tank back down the fuel line is kinking, probably enough to starve the engine. Take a look at that, it might be the solution if you're a hopeless case like me.

Albie
30-12-2004, 03:28 PM
Spark plugs are £3.00 here no more. Bought one today. :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad:

Plum
30-12-2004, 03:42 PM
Spark plugs are £3.00 here no more. Bought one today. :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad:

Cheers Albie.......er...... i think!!

Albie
30-12-2004, 04:00 PM
Must admit though when I had my Kawasaki zxr 250 the spark plusg were £8.00 each x 4 because it used to rev to 21000 rpm. Only lasted 1500 miles though. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Rockhopper
30-12-2004, 04:17 PM
Yep, Halfrauds sell NGK plugs for the M600 at £2.95 each.

It is possible to clean them though! I use an old suede shoe brush.

gary tompkins
30-12-2004, 04:45 PM
Mine does this all the time, the bike not the wife. Just about to post up again about it - I've found a really, really embarrasing thing and it might be the reason behind my most recent cut out and die in the middle of town. I put the tank up when I have the optimate on and I just found that when I'mputting the tank back down the fuel line is kinking, probably enough to starve the engine. Take a look at that, it might be the solution if you're a hopeless case like me.

If you get yourself a plug in optimate connection lead, this can be left connected to the battery, allowing you to charge it with the tank down. The fused lead has a waterproof cover, and you can get them from most accesory shops for around £5. The later optimate 3 has them as part of the kit, and I just tuck mine out of sight behind the airbox when not needed.

Richard_S
30-12-2004, 06:12 PM
for me £30 was a night in Suzy Cues, attempting to do the pool shark thing. However managed to lose all 8 frames and so, in the true honorary style proceeded to head butt the nearest wimpy lamppost. Great place though, open 10am - 5am, food until 4am, a bar and everything. Service with a smile and all just a shame that i cant hit a feckin ball straight.

Ive only be to Jersey once and after that little insight I may well stick to Grimsby. Its a dangerous world out there.

spacemonkey
30-12-2004, 08:31 PM
That is classic carb ice symptoms. The jet that you are using is fine, but the others freeze, hence why it won't go when you move up or down the rev range from a constant. The only REAL cure is fuel injection. Pro FST works to a fashion, as do the carb heaters, but neither is totally perfect. Spark plugs won't make a difference. Parking up with the engine off for a minute or two will thaw it for a while.

DesmoDog
31-12-2004, 08:39 AM
Gary, cheers mate - I have the later optimate and like a total tw*t I didn't realise that I could run the extension out under the tank, opting to lift the tank every time I got home. It was when I was deciding where to route the cable that I discoveredthe kinked line. I'm hoping to take the bike out for a blast today to see if thats the probelm, but to tell you the truth I don't fancy a 2 mile hike pushing a monny ala last trip. I now have a new, paranoid worry and that is that the pump is acting up having only been tampered with this summer. Arse.

Plum
31-12-2004, 09:36 AM
Ive only be to Jersey once and after that little insight I may well stick to Grimsby. Its a dangerous world out there.

Now your being silly.....Jersey over Grimsby!!!!! Hmmm maybe your right...............i am about to get my boat ticket for the Monnie weekend and its at times like these i wish i was living in th UK

Richard_S
31-12-2004, 11:21 AM
you may be right about Grimsby but the problem with Jersey is the lack of any discernable road. You have potholes, narrow alleys, bends; curves and even the occasional man hole cover but none of the black stuff. I was there on business visiting the trinity garage and managed to bag a go in an sor DB5. Albeit I wasn’t in hooligan mode (just bonding it up generally) but jeez getting out of second gear was such a major effort.

If you live in Jersey you get a sunseeker, a gettoblaster and some thermador before wheels. Personally I’d take that Bergerac badness all day long.